General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Disconnecting Onstar 2007 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:34 PM

Disconnecting Onstar 2007 HHR

Spent some time googling this topic, and came across many different posts about how to do this and what, if any effect it would have on the car. Some said disconnecting all of it, would wreck havoc, while others said it was not an issue at all.

For the 2007 HHR, the module is located behind the right rear wheel well. It is not easy to get to: you may be lucky and remove the access cover (the one used to replace brake light bulb), but I found it easier to pry down the lower plastic trim piece and pull it out. With the access cover off, you can now see it and get to it fairly easily.

To disable Onstar, you must only disconnect the white plug furthest from the rear of the car, or the engine will not start. If you remove the middle plug (also white) and/or the black plug with brown wires, it will not start.

The 1st white plug (furthest from the rear of the car) has a yellow wire; that is the plug to pull. Once removed, I found that the Onstar button, as well as the phone button would not work. I did not push the emergency button, but I assume it is also non-functional now.

I also dis-connected both coaxial plugs from the Onstar module.

I am personally not a fan of Onstar at all, so that is my reason for doing it. Yes, I lose the safety of the crash-call feature, etc, but having driven 33 years now, I've never been in a situation to need it. To some, that is important, and I get that. But, not to me.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Why not just cancel the service? Or, disconnect the antenna. Then it won't be spying on you.

You do know that you have to pay for a subscription for it to work. After the free introductory offer ends.

OnStar trial

All new OnStar-equipped GM vehicles come with an OnStar subscription at no extra cost. For new OnStar-equipped Buick, GMC and Chevrolet vehicles, this includes 6 months of Directions and Connections. New OnStar-equipped Cadillac vehicles come with 12 months of Directions and Connections. Your initial subscription gives you all the great safety and security features of OnStar, including Turn-by-Turn Navigation.

And

Privacy

We do not monitor or otherwise track the location of OnStar-equipped cars, unless required to by a valid court order in criminal procedures or under exigent circumstances. Additionally, to prevent the possibility of abuse, we require police involvement for Stolen Vehicle Assistance and missing person requests.

We take your privacy very seriously. Any time we connect with your vehicle (for instance, an incoming call), you will be notified in several ways: a light will flash on the indicator by the OnStar buttons, the phone will ring, and the radio will mute. Depending on your equipment, you may also see the word "phone" or other indicator on the dashboard or radio display. OnStar Advisors are also required to announce their presence immediately once they have established voice communication into a vehicle. View our privacy statement here.

For your protection, do not share your onstar.com username, password and PIN with anyone. OnStar cannot be responsible for unauthorized use of the service when the appropriate authentication has been provided.

And

Cancel Service

If at any time you wish to cancel your OnStar service, press your blue button to speak with an Advisor or call 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827). Cancelling your service cannot be done online.

If you let your subscription expire or choose to cancel it, your OnStar system will be deactivated. All services-including Automatic Crash Response and Emergency Services-will be shut off. Your vehicle won't be able to contact us for help, even in a crash.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=donbrew;737528]Why not just cancel the service? Or, disconnect the antenna. Then it won't be spying on you.

It's a matter or principle. Their Privacy clause is no doubt there, because they have had trouble complying with it in the past. Lots of conspiracy angles on the internet about it. The older I get, the less I care for this "on the grid" society we have evolved (?) into. I prefer choice over some corporation's word or goodwill. A simple master switch for the user is all they would need to provide for us folks who are tired of living in the Matrix
Old 02-23-2014, 03:01 PM

Did you read this part?
Cancel Service

If at any time you wish to cancel your OnStar service, press your blue button to speak with an Advisor or call 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827). Cancelling your service cannot be done online.

If you let your subscription expire or choose to cancel it, your OnStar system will be deactivated. All services-including Automatic Crash Response and Emergency Services-will be shut off. Your vehicle won't be able to contact us for help, even in a crash.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did you read this part?
Cancel Service

Yes Don, I read it. And I also read a lot of posts on the web, about people being hassled by this company. I have better things to do, than be on the phone with them. Why so interested ?
Old 02-23-2014, 03:28 PM

If you ever had it activated any info you gave them like e-mail addresses and phone numbers and addresses are legal for them to use to "hassle" you. The damage may already be done. I don't know of any way they could "hassle" anybody other than trying to sell stuff. What do you mean?

Every anecdotal problem somebody puts on the Internets is TRUE!

(THIS IS A JOKE)Maybe 4 layers of tin foil properly grounded would do the trick, I understand that you need to attach the grounding strap to alternating corners of the layers.(THIS IS A JOKE)
Old 02-24-2024, 11:58 AM

Hope you're still part of this group...

Originally Posted by Seeburg220
Spent some time googling this topic, and came across many different posts about how to do this and what, if any effect it would have on the car. Some said disconnecting all of it, would wreck havoc, while others said it was not an issue at all.

For the 2007 HHR, the module is located behind the right rear wheel well. It is not easy to get to: you may be lucky and remove the access cover (the one used to replace brake light bulb), but I found it easier to pry down the lower plastic trim piece and pull it out. With the access cover off, you can now see it and get to it fairly easily.

To disable Onstar, you must only disconnect the white plug furthest from the rear of the car, or the engine will not start. If you remove the middle plug (also white) and/or the black plug with brown wires, it will not start.

The 1st white plug (furthest from the rear of the car) has a yellow wire; that is the plug to pull. Once removed, I found that the Onstar button, as well as the phone button would not work. I did not push the emergency button, but I assume it is also non-functional now.

I also dis-connected both coaxial plugs from the Onstar module.

I am personally not a fan of Onstar at all, so that is my reason for doing it. Yes, I lose the safety of the crash-call feature, etc, but having driven 33 years now, I've never been in a situation to need it. To some, that is important, and I get that. But, not to me.

Hello, I did what was laid out in your post exactly, but still get GPS reading on the OBD port. Maybe that is to be expected? I just want to be sure the signal is not going out into the air. Anyway to verify that?
The box is exactly where you said it would be. I unplugged both coax plugs, and the white plug all the way to the front. Car starts no problem.

Thank you! Joe
Old 02-24-2024, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Can’t imagine what you are doing to warrant disconnection of the OnStar module. I get the big brother is watching theory, but I don’t do anything that OnStar or any other agency would be interested in investigating.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DecksNJ.com

Hello

Thank you! Joe
It is a 10 year old thread and seeburg220 hasn’t posted on this forum for 9 years.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:47 PM

You could pull the fuse and then put your tin foil hat on. #24 on the BCM marked "Sirius/XM/ OnStar.
Or, remove the shark fin completely. I think that is the GPS antenna. Be sure to remove the battery from your cell phone while driving; it is pinging all the time.
If the antenna is not hooked up how do you suppose "they" could receive information?
I'm pretty sure that the early OnStar units like in HHRs do not have the interactive features, like vehicle disable. Those internet conspiracy stories are about later more sophisticated units. I don't think yours will alert "them" if you crash or have a OBD2 code. Pretty much just phone and directions.

Quick Reply: Disconnecting Onstar 2007 HHR