General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

wrecked 2006 hhr LT

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 PM

Question wrecked 2006 hhr LT

I recently got in an accident with someone that didnt have insurance, and since im in a no fault law state if i want any money for my car I would have to sue them, which they might not have the money to pay and might not show up to court. I wanted to know what i could get for it if I sold it. the airbag did deploy, they discontected the battery so i havent tried to start it since. and i dont have the money to get it insepected to find out how much to fix it, i didnt have full coverage since im a full time college student and money is limited. it has 105,000 miles
Old 04-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Deceased

to the forum ffdpsoldier, wish the circumstances were better.

I hate to say it, but just looking at the visual damage, and factoring in the airbag deployment, its a total loss. Even though you're in a "no-fault" state, you should have "uninsured/under-insured" coverage on your policy, its required in almost every state. Contact your agent, you shouldn't have to sue the other party to recover the value of your HHR, that is the responsibility of your insurance carrier.

Body shops do estimates for free, you should never have to pay for one, and whoever gave you that info did you a great disservice. Because it doesn't look drivable, you would have to pay for the tow to a body shop, but that would be reimbursed by your insurance company.

So before you do anything, call your insurance agent Monday morning, first thing. You said you don't have full coverage, you need to get an explanation of exactly what your carrier is prepared to do.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site ffdpsoldier, Sorry to see your trusty stead took the hit, Glad you are ok !!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Banned

Welcome
Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 AM

What a shame... Hope you are okay, ffdpsoldier, other than the loss of your ride.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry to hear about the car.
What I didn't get from your post is,who was determined to be at fault?
If it was the other person,pursue it. Nothing lost for trying to recoup your loses.
Yeah, and as Mike said,it does look like the car is totaled.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:49 AM

the other person is at fault and was stated on the police report. however since I didnt have collision coverage just liability the insurance Co will not fix anything, so If i want to recoupe any loss I have to sell the car and sue the driver that was uninsured and the owner that didnt have any insurance.
the problem facing that is, ive been told that some people dont show up to small claims court.
also if they dont have money for insurance they wont have money to pay for the law suit.
also its hard to find a lawyer to take the case because most want someone to be injured so they can make more, in my case no one was injured.

im going to eather put the car on craigslist, or ebay im not sure how much i can get out of it.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

843de is our on site legal guru. He'll correct me if I state something wrong.
If you go to small claims,you don't need a lawyer. Problem is,what is the jurisdictional limits (money) in your area? Is it enough to cover your loss?
You need an estimate or bluebook value if totaled, if you go to court.
If the other party doesn't show up for the case,a verdict can be rendered in small claims. Now collecting that money can be a whole different story.
(My wife and I are still hoping to collect $4000 from a small claims verdict.)
If you can contact the at fault party and threaten a suit,sometimes they will settle to avoid court. Just because they didn't have any insurance, doesn't nescessarily mean their not able to pay your damages.
I'm sure 843de will chime in here and give an opinion.
Good Luck,George
Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 AM
geg

Sorry to see that.

It's hard to advise, I am not an American. Just a thought.
A. expose the car up for auction - regular buyers of specialized auctions of damaged cars buy a car quickly and give a fair price.
b. Cutting car by selling it in parts. It is time consuming, but if you can handle a wrench and a circular saw - you will receive a good wage. Perhaps thousands of members of this forum will disassemble your car to pieces in an hour.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 AM

Hindsight is always 20/20, as they say. Fixing minor damage properly on most any modern vehicle costs a considerable amount of money. Unless you drive a ten year old "beater", it is definitely worth having collision and comprehensive insurance.
My own 2007 HHR is in the body shop right now. Someone came out of a driveway not looking to their left and hit my HHR of the right side at maybe 5 mph. Just minor cosmetic damage - but it's going to cost the other driver's insurance company close to $3,000, not including the rental car cost.
I hope things turn out well for you, ffdpsoldier.

Quick Reply: wrecked 2006 hhr LT