General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Don't you just love Salesmen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 02:06 PM

Don't you just love Salesmen?

I've got a great story here. I am in the market for an HHR for myself. I know exactly what I want, so I have been feeling out a couple of dealerships to see who is most willing to work with me. I found the dealer that I liked, and was willing to work with me, but they didn't have a 5 speed for me to test drive. I just wanted to make sure there was plenty of room for my sasquatch feet (size 15). So the dealer searched the other local dealer's inventories for me and told me which ones had 5 speeds on the lot that I could go drive. That surprised me - a dealer willing to send you somewhere else to test drive?

During my lunch break today, I went to go test drive a 5 speed at one of the other dealers. When I drive up, it is fun to watch the salesmen scramble. But not in the way you are thinking. Normally they fight over who can get to the customer first to make the sale. But not for me. They all run and hide. I actually had to ask the receptionist to page a salesman for me. That is because of what I drove up in. You see, I drive an old '88 Chevy Caprice. Up until about 3 months ago, all I used it for was to drive from my house to the vanpool parking lot that was only about 1/2 mile down the road. It's not pretty, and it's definitely not new. But it served its purpose and had cold A/C. Now I have a different job, and would like to have a new car to enjoy on the commute to/from work. And yes, I CAN afford a new car, just chose not to have one because I didn't NEED it.

So, the salesman comes out. I tell him which one I want to drive and he gets the keys. As wew are driving, he starts telling me how this is a brand new vehicle - GM designed it new from the ground up. Not like the PT Cruiser that is just a new body on the Neon. Hmm, I thought, Lets give him a little rope and see if he can hang himself. And he goes on... So I figure he has told me enough and I inform him that the HHR is built on the Delta platform, the same as the Cobalt. He looks puzzled. "How did he know that?" he thinks to himself. Then he says, "Well, it sure rides better than a Cobalt." I reply back, "This is an LS so it has the touring suspension. It is a little softer than the sport suspension on the LT that I want to order." He replies that it looks like I have done my home work and didn't say much for the rest of the drive.

So we get back and he wants to spec out the perfect car for me to place an order. I tell him which options I want and he goes to check dealer stock in the area. "There may be one like that already here in the Dallas area." I told him, "I doubt it. 2LT with a 5 speed is very rare around here." But he insisted - and didn't find one but did come back with "Good News and Bad News." Good news is that they still have some HHR's alloted and can order one today (with a $500 deposit that is). Bad news is they do not give GM Supplier discount on this vehicle. In fact they sell them at $2000 above MSRP due to demand. I tell him that I have talked to another dealer that is willing to give me the discount. "Which one?" he probes. "Actually 2 other dealers," I reply without giving him a name. (This is, in fact, a true statement) So he goes back to the sales manager (you know - the good guy/bad guy routine) and comes back with, "We can sell it to you at sticker. But only since you are ordering. The lowest we have sold any others is $1500 above MSRP." I tell him thanks, I'll think about it, and leave. I expect a call by the end of the day telling me that they can do GM Supplier discount, but I am not interested in that dealership anyway. And if I was, they would have lost me for lying. That experience tells me why they are the only dealer in the area with 4 HHR's on the lot.

At least I found out that I do like the 5 speed. Now just to go back to the dealer I like and place the order. probably won't be for a couple of weeks, but at least now I know. Just FYI, I am a big guy. 6'6" ,260 lbs with a size 15 foot. And I feel like there is plenty of room in this car/truck. I love it!

Hope this humor makes you chuckle too.

One question for those of you that ordered your HHR's. Did you have to put a down payment to place the order? I had read in some thread that that is illegal. Something about not being able to take money for something that is not delivered. Any truth to that?
Old 10-28-2005, 02:23 PM

hello,

im craig kandiko, i work for pat o'brien chevy in willoughby hills ohio.

yes you can take money down when you order your vehicle. you are buying it and it is a deposit that goes toward the vehicle. unless you deal with a shady dealership. ordering an HHR takes about 8 weeks. might be a week earlier since you live in texas.

that is a load of horse**** that they do not offer supplier discount. the dealership just wants to make more money. are they high in demand yes, but you do not need to gouge a customer. my dealership takes $200 off of sticker, and we honor not only supplier discounts, but also employee discount as well.

the key thing also to buying an HHR is see what salesmen own one. i think im the only salesman in northeast ohio that does. and people respect that. thats why i have sold more than the rest of my dealership combined! and thats something im proud of.

if you have any other questions, feel free to email me batman5273@yahoo.com
Old 10-28-2005, 02:26 PM

another note:

not all salesmen are scumbags. even at crappy dealerships, there are some good apples. however for every nice, knowlegable, polite, considerate, caring and respectful ones out there, there are ten that will slit an old woman's throat and be able to sleep at night.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the "Good Salesman" insight. I agree that not all are scum. Some are great, some are a waste of organic matter. But that can be said of many other people too. I really like and respect the guy that I AM going to buy it from. He doesn't own one, but has been honest and willing to help me from the start.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:39 PM

I paid 1777 over sticker for my LT2. I did not reseach when I bought the car plus I never saw it untill i bought the day I brought in my father's car in for Service. My father passed away 6/03/05 and I was taking in his car for Service on 8/13/05. I had no intentions on buying a new car. We told the dealer that my father recently died and I was looking for a Trade in for my 2000 Ford Focus. I lost 967.00 on the Trade in becasue I had Neg. equity becasue I owed money on the car still. The 5 year finance was almost over. On top of which I still had to put down a $3000.00 dollar Deposit. I was totally roped in and full taking advantage of. I was smart to do a Smart Buy option which really allows me to just pay for the car within 48 monthly payments. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the difference at the end. With the Smart Buy I do get title of the car and sell it at any time. All i'm really paying for at the end of the Tax, Difference due, and interest. First off the dealer did not have the sticker on the car. He showed me 2 different models and he Quoated "He was the HHR Expert". He did not know what the HHR stand for. Plus he also said they were not making the LT'2. So when I got my car I thought I had the LT1. But yet I had the leather wrap steering wheel and shifter and a 2.4 engine with the crome package. I will never go back to this dealer in New Jersey. Horrible experince. I will never again buy a car without doing any reseaching and they promised me they would give me a deal and take care of us.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:52 PM

ouch sihhr!

see thats what pisses me off being a salesman myself. i cringe when i hear those stories. but people keep going back. thank god i work for a good dealership!
Old 10-28-2005, 03:23 PM

That just makes me mad.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:40 PM

i live in toledo, ohio. i'd like to purchase a Cobalt SS or an HHR, every time i walk into a dealership im met by idoits. i know more about the cars on their lot then they do, dont they do their homework? what is the deal? you should know what you sell, not just make crap up. finding one willing to deal seems to be a pain too.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:49 PM

where in toledo?? i went to UT back in the day. well you could always drive to east cleveland. we have a few ss cobalts and 4 hhr in stock right now. you'll be taken care of here.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:12 AM

i live in east toledo, grew up in oregon, oh. when im ready to buy i might just make the trip over there.

Quick Reply: Don't you just love Salesmen?