General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

E85 performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:32 AM

Yes, I've noticed. Comparing yours to the ZZP Stage 3, with the exception of the DAL table table, it looks quite mild in comparison. What I find really interesting is the Optimum Spark Table! I can see how your changes would yield that "old-school" feel. Really cool Dave, thanks for sharing! Im trying to run out this E20 I've got in the tank now so I can start to play this weekend. I spent several hours last night hand smoothing the timing because I am getting a 1-3* knock during light acceleration. Nothing WOT. I still have to calibrate the blow-through MAF, I may weight for the E47 since I'll need to redo it for that anyhow.

-Tuning is addictive to say the least!!
Old 06-22-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by DrLoch
Where did this come from?
Came from the guy that bought my flexfuel badge. Said he commutes to ATL everyday to work. Don't have any idea what vehicle he's going to put it on?
Old 06-22-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
Yes, I've noticed. Comparing yours to the ZZP Stage 3, with the exception of the DAL table table, it looks quite mild in comparison. What I find really interesting is the Optimum Spark Table! I can see how your changes would yield that "old-school" feel. Really cool Dave, thanks for sharing! Im trying to run out this E20 I've got in the tank now so I can start to play this weekend. I spent several hours last night hand smoothing the timing because I am getting a 1-3* knock during light acceleration. Nothing WOT. I still have to calibrate the blow-through MAF, I may weight for the E47 since I'll need to redo it for that anyhow.
-Tuning is addictive to say the least!!
I quit 'chasing' knock years ago, as 99% of it isn't real...
The ECM itself 'creates' redarded timing all the time because of 'conflicts' between different tables.
Also becuase our ECM is so smart, it will anticipate quickly changing events, & retard timing on its own.
And the more aggressive you get with some tables, the ECM will retard timing because it's 'outside' of it's 'parameters', 'outside' of what it was 'told' to be 'normal'.

Class is back in session:

The GMPP 'tune' should be your 'base' background program in your ECM.
Meaning, Do a 'write-entire' of a GMPP 'tune' to your ECM.
Then, 'tune' on top of it.
The 'base' GMPP 'tune' has important 'safety features built into it.
It will safe your ASS...
Pistons 'POP' on stock base 'tunes'.
Pistons don't 'POP' on GMPP base 'tunes'.

The GMPP 'base' program WILL NOT slow you down when 'tuning' for the 'sky'.
I have gone so 'crazy' at times, to 'push' the limits, & have never hurt my 'buggy'.
Afterwards I sometimes scratch my head & say to myself, you dumbass, the engine should've blown up doing that...
My 'tune' is built on a GMPP 'base' program, so use it as your 'base'.

CLASS DISMISSED:...
Old 06-22-2016, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by mojographics
Came from the guy that bought my flexfuel badge. Said he commutes to ATL everyday to work. Don't have any idea what vehicle he's going to put it on?
I know lots of people that think FlexFuel is the same as hybrid. But, in VA, you still have to purchase a special tag to use the HOV/HOT lanes even with the badge.

Then there are the fools that think handicap tags get you into the HOV/HOT lanes. They are wrong!
Old 06-22-2016, 12:05 PM

So, starting from scratch tonight then! Unless ZZP had already built on top of GMS1. Hmm...I'll have to look and see. Do you think it's a safe bet to "assume" the Stage 1 tune on the repository is accurate? Otherwise, not sure how Im getting stage 1 as a base...

Suppose I could take yours and work it back down to where I'm at now. I'm also tuning a local SS for another member. I started his tune based off of the GM stage 1. My ECM was already "ZZPed" by the time I had HPT.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:27 PM

Is it an auto or a manual? I have an unmolested 5 speed stage.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Administrator

So, the OP has not returned for the answers to her questions and most of these posts are more directed at SS tuned HHRs so let it rip!
Old 06-22-2016, 01:18 PM

It's an Auto Doc, but I'm guessing the 5spd is similar. Since the TCM is a standalone module and the tune is written separately.

@ol blue - sorry we sidetracked. At least it's a related topic.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
So, starting from scratch tonight then! Unless ZZP had already built on top of GMS1. Hmm...I'll have to look and see. Do you think it's a safe bet to "assume" the Stage 1 tune on the repository is accurate? Otherwise, not sure how Im getting stage 1 as a base...

Suppose I could take yours and work it back down to where I'm at now. I'm also tuning a local SS for another member. I started his tune based off of the GM stage 1. My ECM was already "ZZPed" by the time I had HPT.
Everything in the 'repository' is available at your own risk. The tables would be fine to look at & compare. But I would never use any as a 'base'.
Could be unknown corruption that you couldn't tell.
I know for a fact that the GMPP 'base' is the safe way to go, & I would never go back to the stock 'base'.
I'm also thinking that to use any 'tunes' 'base' would require you to pay HPtuner a fee for that 'tune', to do a 'write-entire'?

All LNF ECMs are the same part #12623326.

I don't think that ZZP would use the GMPP as a 'base' as most guys believe that the added safety features contained in the GMPP 'base' would be a 'negative' feature in regards to performance, which is false. I actually at one point years ago went back to the stock base, & saw some issues where I couldn't control A/F ratio at extreme load conditions.
This scared the crap out of me, so i went back to the GMPP 'base', & have been fine ever since.

I'm not saying that you have to go with the GMPP 'base', I'm just saying it's the safe way to 'build' your 'tune'.
There's probaby a thousand tables that we can't see, & who knows how many have been changed with 'safety in mind to prevent us from making the pistons 'POP'.
Remember, the GMPP 'tune' came with a full warranty, & GM didn't want our 'buggys' in for blown engines.

I would use your friends GMMP 'base', then my 'base', as it is a 'known' 'base' that didn't go thru the internet where something could go wrong.
You 'pulled' that 'tune' from his car, straight into your laptop, & that 'base' I would trust.
That old Murphy's law thing again, you never know.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:12 PM

Well, that would pose an interesting problem. The only file you can write-entire is your own. The base tune from the members SS is a stock 09.

Since ZZP wouldn't have access to GMPP base, it must be a calibration on the stock base 08 for my wife's ecm. I'll have to assume you got your base from GM. Which it sounds like I might want to do. I will call the local dealer tomorrow for a laugh and see what they say. If all they need to do is perform a simple flash I may get lucky for a couple hundred bucks.

Never had a warranty and the sensors are already installed. I'm going to look into it because we have a dyno appointment coming up and if I'm going to change 'bases' it'd be best to do that first.

Quick Reply: E85 performance