General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

EARLY Christmas present!!! (of the wrong kind...)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:08 AM

Check with Home Depot and see if they have parking lot cameras. If they do see if they still have the day in question. Maybe you can pick out the car and then possbily the plate number. In all I don't know how much good this would do if you hadn't called in a report? Thankfully, my insurance company has an added program for parking lot problems that will fix the vehicle. A little extra on the premium but well worth it with all the low life people that don't care about their cars let alone yours.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:19 AM

Those situations are what camera cell phones were made for.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:55 AM

That sucks sorry to hear that happend to you!
Old 12-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

The law enforcement people on this forum can verify....

Most states have some type of limitation on PRIVATE PROPERTY accidents. Otherwords, they will NOT take a report unless the circumstances meet certain criteria, because their traffic law jurisdiction is very limited on private property.

My state AZ, for example, does not take accident reports on private property unless it involves "serious injury or excessive damage" (whatever they are). Some states set dollar amout values for PP accidents.

Scoot....sorry to hear about this. And, I agree with your assessment of this type of people/cretin. Lack of responsibility is a big problem in this country. I'll not add any advise for you.... you are already "hurting". Members have covered what is necessary.

Good luck, and may your "dent man" have a gentle and kind touch.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:30 PM

That's a shame. I would have demanded to see her license, gotten her home address, and taken a picture of her car and plate. I carry my digital EVERYWHERE.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:16 PM

Doea your state have a mandatory insurance law? If so, didn't she violate it? Did she give you her real name? What does your insurance company say about her giving false information?

I'd search for her on the internet. There's a ton of information you can get if you want to pay for it!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
Doea your state have a mandatory insurance law? If so, didn't she violate it? Did she give you her real name? What does your insurance company say about her giving false information?

I'd search for her on the internet. There's a ton of information you can get if you want to pay for it!
It's shocking how much you can find out about a person if you've got $25-35 to spare...
Old 12-26-2006, 08:33 PM

Hey all, sorry for the slow response, but thanks for the feedback and humor! For the record, I DID get her license plate (and name/address that was on her policy)... but seeing that it was a dent (and not a *moving vehicle* accident), there's not much the cops will do.
Sure, she doesn't have insurance... big deal- not much the law will do about it . Just doesn't seem right that a cop can bother any one of us for driving around with fog lights on (it's happened to me), but WHO CARES about a liability cruzing public streets while breaking the law (no insurance) !!!
Whatever... bad judgement on my behalf I guess .
Although I took pics of the dent on 12/23 (before I got it fixed), the glare of the flash (and the dull, grey, rainy day) didn't make for an ideal photo op - so the shots didn't really capture the essence of the dent.
All-in-all, it was a BIG dent, passenger rear door- where the panel has a slight crease running the length of the body. The dent was verticle, right ON the crease (about 3" long from top to bottom... starting right below the glass), hence my concern for being able to have it pushed out. To my delight, however (), an EXCELLENT PDR guy in town pushed it out for what I'd classify as 'minimal' cost ($80).
I couldn't believe it when he was done... just a few small (like tiny) bumps that wouldn't even catch your eye- if you didn't know where they were~!! Honestly... these bumps are so small they can be wet-sanded and buffed out without question... AND... it only took him like 30 minutes to do it!!
Thank god for PDR!!! Although it was $80 out of my pocket- it was cheaper than my deductable, and makes me smile even more every time I look for it (it's THAT good!!).
Old 12-26-2006, 08:49 PM

Scoot...glad to hear you got this repaired without it being a major expense. Sure is sad that the police mess with those of us who are law abiding citizens who pay insurance and don't do squat to those who don't.

If you have her name and address, I'd be tempted to send her a copy of the bill and ask for payment. You never know, she might just pay you.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:59 PM

Be sure and send it certified mail. That will verify where she lives. She made be too scared not to pay it!

Quick Reply: EARLY Christmas present!!! (of the wrong kind...)