General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

EDR Location

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 03:26 PM

one other note it will show who was at fault in some cases like a kid yacking on a cell phone and not paying attention and turning in front of another person and such !! so I think its a good thing! I think cell phones should be disabled whenever they are takin into a vehical!!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

I understand your concern. And, I do agree.

But, it can work in the other direction as well.

Around the end of last year, our local paper published an article in regard to a traffic/civil court case. I don't remember all the particulars, but the supposed "victim" actually accellerated, instead of braking, to create the accident. Turns out, they are the people (insurance preying maggots) that go look for likely victims to sue. The information was "culled" from their computer, etc.

And the "victims" were charged with Fraud, etc.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolfreak
once you are insured the insurance company cant deny a claim because you were speeding or did not apply the brakes soon enough!! I was doing 70 mph on a 55 mph road and never applied the brakes due to falling asleep on my way home from work when i rolled my first hhr and my insurance company showed right up with the cash!!! if you dont trust your insurance company find another!!! In fact I think the only way they can get out of paying up is if you are using alcohol or illegal drugs while driving!! Just my 2 cents
That is just one senario of what could happen, so calm down...
The main point of this is should I expect no privacy in my own life? Why don't we just put a camera in ever house that the police and insurance companies have access to. Sound like a fun idea? It's hardly different to having a recording device in your car.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
Old 09-06-2006, 03:49 PM

I have been told by a friend of mine who works in a Insurance Company that if they find out that you have disable it, then some of the Insurance company's will fight the claim if you have a Crash. I would just leave it alone and if their is big Investigation you will be one Hurting and Poor Puppy.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:53 PM

beleive me if the government wants one in your house its already there!!

I dont care for the big brother thing myself thats why i had my dealer remove anything asociated with the on star deal including replacing my rear view mirror. they dont need any more personal info!! I had it in my 01 impala and hated it always felt as though i was under the microscope!!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by oldschoolfreak
once you are insured the insurance company cant deny a claim because you were speeding or did not apply the brakes soon enough!! I was doing 70 mph on a 55 mph road and never applied the brakes due to falling asleep on my way home from work when i rolled my first hhr and my insurance company showed right up with the cash!!! if you dont trust your insurance company find another!!! In fact I think the only way they can get out of paying up is if you are using alcohol or illegal drugs while driving!! Just my 2 cents
A lot of states have the "Contributory Negligence" clause (yours probably doesn't..because you obviously had some responsibility). This essentially means if you had done ANYTHING that contributed to the accident and damage or injury was a result of that contribution, even when you were deemed "not at fault" by the police investigation, you can still be held accountable for a "percentage" of the damage. A simple explanation....You are not wearing your seat belt and have injuries as a result of an accident caused by the other party. The insurance company representatives, or court, are allowed to negotiate/assess the costs between the 2 parties....how much did you contribute to the injuries by not wearing a seat belt???

So my point is.... the information can be used in either direction....be careful !!
Old 09-06-2006, 04:06 PM

I wasnt trying to say all insurance companies are for doing all they can to help a person out by no means!! most 80 % would do anything to stick it to you!! my previous ins. company hiked my rates 3 times in 3 years saying it was all due to the 911 insident what BS that there could be more situations like this in the future?? I live in the country and the next large town near me is about 25 miles away with maybe 30,000 people!!! so a plane might be crashed into my car on my farm?? what ever!! so i gave them the boot and tell everyone i know about their BS tactics!! So no I am not saying all insurance companies would not use it for their benefit just know your insurance people so you know who you are dealing with!! Thats all
Old 09-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

You know though...going back to your original question..."were is it at", might be a good thing to know.

If you get into an accident and you absolutely know that you did something wrong, wait for a moment when you have NO WITNESSES and beat the S**T out of it. No information, no at fault, and H**L if I know how that happened !
Old 09-06-2006, 04:51 PM

If you do mess with it, who is to say the insurance company won't deny your claim because the EDR was tampered with??
Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
If you do mess with it, who is to say the insurance company won't deny your claim because the EDR was tampered with??
Ah...no witnesses...whose to say the towing company or whatever. But I did post that with "tougue in cheek"...just to explain.

Quick Reply: EDR Location