General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Engine Oil Leak On Driver Side Valve Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:03 PM

Engine Oil Leak On Driver Side Valve Cover

I had some oil leaking from my valve cover about six months ago so i took it to the dealer and they basically told me it was normall engine seapage or leakage and cleaned it up 4 me . now after a trip to nyc with 5 people and luggage in the hhr (not recomended) there it is again now i know this is not normall ,does n e one have n e input on this or has any one else seen or had this happen,my oil level is ok but it looks like sht and its really bothering me .thanks
Old 04-30-2007, 05:20 PM

Oil leaking from the valve cover is normal? Yeah on a car with 200K on the clock if even then....find a new dealer and raise hell with GM

Goose
Old 04-30-2007, 05:42 PM

Yea, Thats BS!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Total BS, by the dealer. Not acceptable. GM spent fortunes to correct the leaking oil problem from previous years. It was one of the "goals", established by GM upper Management, to achieve perceived quality.

This is worthy of a call to Chevrolet Customer Service. The telephone number is in your owner's manual.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Total BS, by the dealer. Not acceptable. GM spent fortunes to correct the leaking oil problem from previous years. It was one of the "goals", established by GM upper Management, to achieve perceived quality.

This is worthy of a call to Chevrolet Customer Service. The telephone number is in your owner's manual.
I agree. In this day and age oil leaks are not acceptable in my book.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:59 AM

Perceived Quality ???

Originally Posted by Snoopy

Does that mean "give the perception of quality"???
Old 05-01-2007, 12:54 PM

I believe that he means by telling you that it's normal, you will have the perception that you have a quaility product that it performing as it should.

I agree, you should take it back to the dealer.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Time for phone calls,

Hope you still have that paperwork from the first visit.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:50 PM

The HHR's valve cover uses a VERY heavy-duty gasket:

...and "bottoming" style bolts. Basically, if the gasket is installed (seated), correctly, all you need do is tighten the bolts (in a star pattern), completely and viola' - no leaks. (*In theory!).

I've swapped a few HHR covers:

...and have had zero leakage problems. My suggestion would be to grab a small ratchet and 10mm socket and check all 11 of your valve cover's perimeter bolts. Once they are tightened all the way down, they will botton out and stop turning. After you have done this, pressure wash your engine (when cool), and check for more leakage throughout the week.

If it continues to leak, I would have your dealer order a replacement - it should be covered under warranty. The gaskets are large and quite pricey ($42 each), but if anyone needs a replacement I have 2 brand new OEM ones here that I'll let go cheap.

Good insurance for "one day."

Hope it helps,
Old 05-01-2007, 03:57 PM

Thumbs up Appt Set 4 May 8th

i do still have the paper work from some of my several vists to paddock chevrolet in kenmore ive been there countless times for ignition module twice then my cat converter got gased because of that. a coolant leak from a loose hose ,free running boards ,seat making noise,they broke my air box once and didnt even tell me about it ,got a new one then got the cgs (awsome product) warped/glazed roters that they turned and im going 4 them again on the 8th 6k later and countless other things but i still love my hhr regardless of the issues,sometimes i had to talk to the owner of the place to get things done but they got done ,they even gave me the 24000 mile service for free after lots o complaining .thanks 4 all the input thought and im going there locked and loaded

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Leak On Driver Side Valve Cover