General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Engine Vents

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:19 PM

Engine Vents

Have you noticed the large gap between the hood sides and the top of the fenders ? It must certainly be intentional and the only reason that I can think of is ventilation. If that is so I wonder why they wouldn't have used a small grill rather than misfit panels ? Any other opinions?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:33 PM

Unfortunately, I think this is more of a fit-and-finish issue. I noticed it varying from vehicle to vehicle when I was shopping for my HHR. My partner is ex-GM manufacturing, and is very particular about these things when we purchase a new vehicle. He felt that the HHR I bought was put together better than most of the others on the lot (body panel and doors/hood/liftgate fit and alignment). This has been discussed in a couple of other threads here, too. So it's definitely something others have noticed.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:51 PM

I think it's also a product of the design. Our hoods do not fall between the fenders like on most cars, thereby necessitating a larger gap...if it was tighter, the rear hood sides near the hinges would contact the top of the fenders before the hood was completely closed. Now they could have avoided this by using complex hinges...but this is an "economy" car!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by jeffs396
I think it's also a product of the design. Our hoods do not fall between the fenders like on most cars, thereby necessitating a larger gap...if it was tighter, the rear hood sides near the hinges would contact the top of the fenders before the hood was completely closed. Now they could have avoided this by using complex hinges...but this is an "economy" car!
Add the body flex on uneven pavement and it kinda explains itself.

Sping loaded hinges would buckle the hood (and probably 99% of all hoods these days) in half....... Unless you went back to the hood prop.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:24 PM

there is hardly a gap between my hood sides and the top of the fenders, from the outside.

I think it is a fit-n-finish issue per car.

when I wash my car, I hardly get a drop of water sitting under the hood when I open it to dry everything off.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:14 PM

I like the gap between the hood and fender. It gives me a place to hide in sudden downpours.

I too look out my window and see the gap, but I don't let it bother me. There are certainly bigger fish to fry in my life.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Plus, they have to leave room for those people who slam the hood down to close it. It could flex or compress the bumpers and cause damage. Just a necessary part of the design.
Looking at my HHR, it has the best panel alignment of any GM I have driven, it really impressed me.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Offy
Have you noticed the large gap between the hood sides and the top of the fenders ? It must certainly be intentional and the only reason that I can think of is ventilation. If that is so I wonder why they wouldn't have used a small grill rather than misfit panels ? Any other opinions?
Kinda hard to miss... ya, that bugs me. So does a door that doesn't line up to my eye but dealer would likely just make it worse. I just see it as part of the nostalgia of earlier American vehicles and grin and bear it (as I duck and run :-)
Old 02-28-2008, 06:26 PM

There are rubber sealing strips around the engine bay, I presume that they do make contact with the inside of the hood, so there shouldn't be any venting through the gaps. Mine is pretty large compared to some of the ones i looked at, but there weren't any others of the spec I wanted.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Offy
I for one don't have a huge gap, you might want to atleast talk to the dealer about fit and finish. And i for one would not have gotten the HHR if it had a grille or vent on the side of the hood, sorry to those that have them but i hate that look.

Quick Reply: Engine Vents