General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Factory Rear View Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Factory Rear View Camera?

I clicked on the HHR link on the Chevy website and they say there is a factory option for a rearview camera available late fall 2008. I can't seem to find any other info, anyone know anything?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Founding Member

Nobody knows what happened to this option. Hopefully it will be revived.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:03 PM

Not a big loss as it is just a toy any way.

IF you need a rear camera to drive a HHR your in the wrong vehicle anyway.

There are other things they can add to an HHR that would be of more benifit.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:15 PM

i thinkin bout gettin 1

they have them on sale now at advance auto for $59. they have them on display in the stores. maybe can get a display for even less. i am not sure about the quality , looks a little fuzzy to me. but maybe better than a fresh dent. i also need 1 on each side for lane changes. my panel is scarry. if i ever get used to it , i'll try to get a cdl.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
they have them on sale now at advance auto for $59. they have them on display in the stores. maybe can get a display for even less. i am not sure about the quality , looks a little fuzzy to me. but maybe better than a fresh dent. i also need 1 on each side for lane changes. my panel is scarry. if i ever get used to it , i'll try to get a cdl.
If you can't see beside you in your side mirrors, adjust them out. You shouldn't be able to see the side of your vehicle in them without moving your head slightly one way or the other. If properly adjusted, looking out either the driver or passenger window shouldn't have more than a few feet of blind spot directly beside you, which you can check with a brief head move forward and a glance out the side window. Very few people adjust their mirrors properly.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:07 AM

i understand and agree , but

Originally Posted by jonathanm
If you can't see beside you in your side mirrors, adjust them out. You shouldn't be able to see the side of your vehicle in them without moving your head slightly one way or the other. If properly adjusted, looking out either the driver or passenger window shouldn't have more than a few feet of blind spot directly beside you, which you can check with a brief head move forward and a glance out the side window. Very few people adjust their mirrors properly.
what about the passenger side? that is the worst - when i have to change lanes to the right.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:07 AM

i agree. why would you need a rear view camera in a little HHR. ive driven a panel before and had no issues backin up or changin lanes.. and i drive a AA5 option car every day n never have issues just my two cents
Old 12-25-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
what about the passenger side? that is the worst - when i have to change lanes to the right.
That's why the passenger side mirror has that convex curve that makes everything distorted. It has a much wider field of view. Go to a parking lot, pull beside a car and position yourself so the car would be in your normal blind spot. Adjust the right mirror out a few degrees, so that in order to see the side of YOUR car, you have to move your head forward several inches. You should now have a clear view of the pesky car beside you when your head is in your normal driving position. When the car is visible in your right side window, it's tail will still be visible in your mirror.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:11 PM

Exclamation Backup Cameras Are Good

i have allready purchased some little add on blind spot mirrors , but i haven't installed them yet. also i haven't noticed any distortion in the passenger mirror , but i will check it a little closer. i think the backup cameras are a good idea. they are good for extra safety- in case a small child could be back there -most people don't walk around their vehicle every time they back up. i know a lady that backed over her child with a riding mower-the child barely survived and will be badly crippled for life. that is an extreme case - these things do happen all the time. just because it never happened to you or any one you know doesn't mean anything. Y E T stands for You're Eligible Too.