General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

First Trip in the 2007 HHR 2.4L

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:10 PM

First Trip in the 2007 HHR 2.4L

This past weekend we went from Chula Vista CA to San Gabriel CA to visit some relatives for a late holiday weekend. Including a side trip to the Bass Pro Shops store in Rancho Cucamonga it was about 340 miles. Driving an average of 70 to 75 on the freeways and some short trips off, the car got 31.4 MPG which I thought was great! If I had set the cruise control at 65 as I tried a few months ago the average would have been around 35+ MPG but I would have gotten run over! As it was I was still passed by 95% of the cars on the road.

At the Bass Pro Shops I was surprised to see someone take a couple of pictures of the car since it does look pretty good I think so that made me feel good. As for the on board MPG metering, when I filled up, the manual calculation came out to within 0.2 of the car's computer!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by oldracer
This past weekend we went from Chula Vista CA to San Gabriel CA to visit some relatives for a late holiday weekend. Including a side trip to the Bass Pro Shops store in Rancho Cucamonga it was about 340 miles. Driving an average of 70 to 75 on the freeways and some short trips off, the car got 31.4 MPG which I thought was great! If I had set the cruise control at 65 as I tried a few months ago the average would have been around 35+ MPG but I would have gotten run over! As it was I was still passed by 95% of the cars on the road.

At the Bass Pro Shops I was surprised to see someone take a couple of pictures of the car since it does look pretty good I think so that made me feel good. As for the on board MPG metering, when I filled up, the manual calculation came out to within 0.2 of the car's computer!

Reminds me why I left Seattle and the fast lane and Cali is much worse then Seattle.
Where I live now the speed limit in town is 20 in school areas and 25 in town.
After 9 years here the local 55 hiway speed limit can give you white knuckles.

Great mileage figures. You must of had the wind at you back or it's mostly flatland. Did you have your AC on ??
Best I have done with 5 different 2.4 auto HHR's is approx 32.6 and I'm an easy peddle man on the hiway's.

SF
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 PM

Good questions but no there was no wind at all, not like today for sure. I did have the cruise control set now and then just to let my leg rest as I am getting old. I have a K&N air filter and one of those resister things in the circuit for the throttle body and a B&M electric shift improver with I use in mode one so the shifts happen faster when pulling away. We have several pretty good hills going up but just one climb coming back and otherwise pretty flat.