General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Flex Fuel HHR

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:06 PM

Flex Fuel HHR

GM unveils FlexFuel Chevy HHR, Traverse crossover
Sharon Terlep / The Detroit News

General Motors Corp. North American Chief Troy Clarke today unveiled a FlexFuel Chevrolet HHR, the company's first four-cylinder model that can run on E85 ethanol as well as gasoline.

Clarke, speaking at the launch event at the Chicago Auto Show, which opened to the media today, pledged that all of the automaker's new four-cylinder cars will be capable of burning ethanol. So far, GM has 11 FlexFuel models planned for 2008 and 15 for 2009.

GM today also rolled out the Chevrolet Traverse crossover. The automaker is positioning the wagon-like entry, to be built in Spring Hill, Tenn., as its next generation family hauler.

To underscore that point, the Traverse was rolled out by vehicle line executive Sue Wilson, who brought her entire family on stage to tout the Traverse.

"You can have all the greatest features in the world, but if you're plowing down the street in a vehicle that looks like a box - how good is that?," said Wilson, flanked by her husband and three kids.

The crossovers fill a niche for GM and for rival Ford Motor Co. as both companies get out of the minivan business amid tanking sales in that segment.

Clarke said this morning that the automaker expects demand for crossover SUVs will continue to surge as customers look for fuel-friendly alternatives to trucks.

"The need and demand in this segment is so strong," Clarke said.

GM, with three full-size crossovers already on the market, is banking on the trend to continue. Sales of crossovers and sport wagons were up 15 percent last year, and competition is heating up as more companies enter the segment.

In his speech, Clarke also emphasized GM's commitment to alternative fuels and alternative energy sources, calling for more government sponsorship of battery research.

Earlier this year, the automaker announced that it had taken a stake in Coskata Inc., a biofuels research firm that aims to market $1-a-gallon ethanol as soon as 2011.

Clarke said this morning that Coskata has teamed with a builder and expects to have its pilot plant operational this year.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:09 PM

A $1 a gallon ethanol by 2011. Interesting!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:23 PM

&*(#$%(%@$(@!!!!

If I'd had known, I would have waited to buy my HHR
Old 02-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
A $1 a gallon ethanol by 2011. Interesting!!!
Add on state tax, fed tax, transportation tax, liquor tax hand in your pocket tax, then what are we looking at?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:13 PM

Here's a pic:

Old 02-06-2008, 03:20 PM

that's one badge I would not strip off...flex fuel/hybrids get free carpool lane(MOV) ACCESS and discounted bridge tolls around these parts.

as for regret buying your HHR now?....dont be sad...at least you are enjoying one NOW...instead of waiting....you can awlays trade-in.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:25 PM

Looks like they will stay with the same body style. I was reading someplace today that Gm is to come out with a proto-type plug in electric by 2010 as a future car
Old 02-06-2008, 03:40 PM

The plug-in gasoline hybrid that should be coming out in 2010 is the Chevy Volt. That is going to be a very exciting car and I really want to get one if they come to market. For more info check out the www.gm-volt.com forum
Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 PM

<grumbles> Well, if they can get ethanol down to a buck a gallon then I'll stop slamming it so much. But, I'd like to see bio-diesel also go that low. a diesel-electric hybrid burning bio-diesel would be the most efficient you could get due to bio-diesel's higher energy content plus the inherent efficiency advantage held by diesel engines.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 AM

Buck a gallon ethanol will happen right after the 100 mpg carburator!

Quick Reply: Flex Fuel HHR