General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Freaking potholes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Ha! You think you've got it bad? Where I currently live some of the potholes will see-saw your vehicle! And there's new ones every day! The local government is basically worthless, so there is no chance of fixing them soon...

Of course, the potholes are usually roadside bomb blast craters, and I drive a High Mobility Multi Wheeled Vehicle (HMMVee).

Don't drive in Baghdad!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by nextep1
Ha! You think you've got it bad? Where I currently live some of the potholes will see-saw your vehicle! And there's new ones every day! The local government is basically worthless, so there is no chance of fixing them soon...

Of course, the potholes are usually roadside bomb blast craters, and I drive a High Mobility Multi Wheeled Vehicle (HMMVee).

Don't drive in Baghdad!
Iraq aside, your normal residence is also known for it's potholes. Not so much the Long Island part, but New York City probably has the worst potholes in the country (sorry Detroit). Years ago, I got trapped in one that was 12 inches deep (I actually took photos the next day of a paint can in it almost totally covered) and 12 inches wide by about 4 feet long. The 2 left tires of my 4 month old Datsun 280 Z got trapped in it, and I could not steer out of it. Bent both wheels and ruined both tires.

And does anybody even want to discuss Manhattan?
Old 03-16-2008, 02:27 PM

Hit it pretty good...noticed today that I've got a nice bulge in the sidewall of my tire now.

Because of the mileage on the tires, I'm going to have to buy two tires
I think that you just gave me a good reason to keep my extra set of rims / tires around. (Besides the winter and summer sets, I still have the OEMs, all on different size of rims...)

Ottawa specific:

On Carling Ave last Friday, there were 3 cars stopped by the side of the road with either flat tires or suspension damage (one attended to by a tow truck) because of a nasty pothole that I've been avoiding for the past 2 weeks in the westbound direction under a tight overpass (two cars barely fit side by side in there).

Yves
Old 03-16-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by DreamHHR
I think that you just gave me a good reason to keep my extra set of rims / tires around. (Besides the winter and summer sets, I still have the OEMs, all on different size of rims...)

Ottawa specific:

On Carling Ave last Friday, there were 3 cars stopped by the side of the road with either flat tires or suspension damage (one attended to by a tow truck) because of a nasty pothole that I've been avoiding for the past 2 weeks in the westbound direction under a tight overpass (two cars barely fit side by side in there).

Yves
You're probably better off keeping your OEMs just in case.

This afternoon I ordered some Uniroyal Tiger Paw from CT on sale. I can't really afford it but also cannot afford to have the tire blow out and cause who knows what kind of damage to the car and/or us.

Found out that the city only pays out on 5 or 6 of the 120 or so claims it receives each year.

The one by the Shirley's Bay facility...I hate that underpass. I could never figure out why they built that thing so narrow.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
The biggest pot holes are in Detroit I was over there 2 times last week and they had some deep ones.
Not trying to hurt anyones feelings but, isn't Detroit ONE BIG POTHOLE ANYHOW !!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Black Rose
The one by the Shirley's Bay facility...I hate that underpass. I could never figure out why they built that thing so narrow.
By the looks of it, it was probably built in the times of horse & carriage... The hole is now a 4x4 crater, I couldn't avoid it today, but luckily no damage (thanks to my 15" wheels; more tire cushion); two more cars with busted tires/rims by the side today.

Yves
Old 03-17-2008, 08:00 AM

Lotsa Potholes 'round Here Too !! Cant Wait To Move To Arizona Later This Year !
Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Not trying to hurt anyones feelings but, isn't Detroit ONE BIG POTHOLE ANYHOW !!
According to the folks that I deal with at the Ren Cen, that is a correct statement
Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy