General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

front suspension groaning when cold.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Throwing parts at it doesn't seem to be working. You're going to have to do some actual diagnosis to find where the noise is coming from.
One person pushing down and up on the car to make the suspension work till you hear the noise. The other person "finding" where the noise is coming from.
Noises are created by vibrations. May need to put your hands on the suspension to feel where it's coming from. Just be careful.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:29 PM

We have tried bouncing it up and down and that doesn't create the noise, tried jacking up the suspension (under the ball joint) and that doesn't make the noise. I have removed the lower control arm and the back bushings on both sides are torn but i have seen worse, the front bushings look ok, no play in the ball joints. with the lower control arms removed i can move everything around and.... no noise. perhaps the bushings are where the noise is coming from so i have ordered some new control arms. its a good job Chevy parts are reasonably priced.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:33 PM

Did you think maybe the bumper cover is the cause?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:56 PM

the bumper cover can be wiggled about, but it doesn't make any noise.

I can change from park to reverse and drive and the engine mounts appear to be fine and changing gear doesn't cause the groaning. It is definitely groaning less with the new sway bar bushings and the new struts but there is still an unacceptable groan. Hopefully the new control arms will eradicate it.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:44 PM

How is the frame (control arm bolts to it) attached to the body of the car? are there any rubber bushings between the frame and the body? I found this diagram and it doesnt show any rubber bushings but.......

Old 12-02-2018, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Nope no bushings from the cradle to the frame, I have experienced the bolts aren’t torqued properly!
back one side off, then torque it to 74ft/lbs, then tighten it up another 180 degrees.
some mechanics just zip them in with an air impact gun and that’s all. Torque them correctly, it might cure the groaning
Old 12-08-2018, 06:47 PM

another update: -
I removed the control arms and the back bushings were slightly torn but not too bad.
I bought and installed new control arms https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Front-Low...72.m2749.l2649
They were a great price at $55 for the pair with bushings, ball joint and shipping included, they are steel, not aluminium.
The installation was fairly simple, but once installed, it was very obvious that the car was in serious need of alignment as the steering wheel was no longer straight. My local Midas garage had a groupon deal for 4 wheel alignment for $55 (minus a groupon promotion of $10 so actual cost of $44).
now for the good news.......... the groaning has gone.
I think the struts were the main cause of the groaning but the control arms were also required.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:10 PM

The steel control arms are not HHR parts... They are for the Cobalt.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

X2
The steel arms are NOT correct for the HHR.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Replacing the control arms should not require the front end be realigned. And yeah what the others have said - the steel LCAs are NOT for the HHR.

I sure would like to see one of them "HHR Pursuit" cars. When ordering parts one really really needs to verify the validity of the parts being offered, by double checking against other suppliers. And also consider dealing with a reputable parts supplier. And you can even check our PARTS LIST postings here: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...-thread-48833/

which states:
Lower Control Arm - NON-SS models - only for FE1 and FE3 suspensions
- GM P/N - 15787555 - (includes lower ball joint and both bushings installed) - Right side - passenger side
- GM P/N - 15787556 - (includes lower ball joint and both bushings installed) - Left side - drivers side
- Duralast (autozone)/Dorman P/N - 521-025 - (includes lower ball joint and both bushings installed) - Drivers side
- Duralast (autozone)/Dorman P/N - 521-026 - (includes lower ball joint and both - bushings installed) - Passenger side
- Rockauto - lower control arms part # RK620897 & RK620898 - they have several suppliers of these arms complete with bushings and ball joint - so check via a search for vehicle parts.
***NOTE: some stores/suppliers list LCA's for the HHRs and Cobalts - and are made of stamped steel - NOT aluminum as per the stock ones - we cannot recommend the stamped steel ones for various reasons, so don't even ask

Quick Reply: front suspension groaning when cold.