General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Fuel line insulation question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 05:25 PM

Fuel line insulation question

Hello, First post here. Iknow this is an old thread, but hoping someone will see this. I had a leaking gas line a few years back, and a guy came over and took out a portion of the gas line, and replaced it with new line, and compression fittings. It's not bent back into its original shape, and it has been tired up with a zip tie ever since, because the line was hanging down to where it could be seen if you were sitting on the ground. I've not drove it in quite some time because of a parasitic draw, and becuase of the fuel line repair. I am afraid the line is going to leak and spew gas all over the undercarriage of my car. My uncle tells me he has used compression fittings on oil lines before and they carry more pressure than gas lines, so I should be fine. Would you worry? Anyway, I was thinking of putting some type of wrap around the lines, and find something to replace to insulation around the line between the fuel line and exhaust. Can anyone help me, and tell me how to handles this situation? I cannot afford a mechanice, I will have to do this myself. 63 year old female under a car. *fun fun* I am also going to be working on trying to find a parasitic draw, I know, wrong thread, just saying. Okay, any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Darcy Welcome to the site, don’t worry about the insulation wrapping, just make sure there’s distance from the exhaust. The compression ferrules will hold some company’s even sell kits with them to replace partial fuel lines . If you don’t see any fuel dripping you’ll be fine.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:56 PM

The compression fittings will work fine if they are installed correctly, the insulation around the lines isn't a bad idea, but they are what caused the fuel lines to rust out. The plastic lines that are for replacing the steel lines are designed to handle the heat so don't worry about it. I am going on 67, both knees replaced (badly in my opinion) and multiple other health issues. I rolled under there in the street (no driveway or garage) and replaced the lines so I feel your pain! Once it is done, take a nice drive and all will be better!! If the lines do leak (but probably won't) they only leak when the ignition is on so it won't drain the tank overnight.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:34 PM

I wouldn't cover the lines with anything, just because if they are going to leak I want to see it right away, not have some covering soaking it up for days and making a bigger hazard.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:21 AM

Any reason you can't just bend the tube? Why trust your car to some guy walking down the street? There are shops everywhere.
Real "Parasitic draw" is usually caused by something done after it left the factory. Do you leave anything plugged into the 12V power outlets? Stock radio? CheckEngineLight? Brake lights that don't go off? LEDs added?
Old 12-18-2023, 09:16 AM

I need to look under there, and see how close one of the compression fittings is to the exhaust. I think it's pretty close. I am not a fan of getting under a car, afraid it will fall on me. I have not seen or smelled any gas since it has been put on, but it has only been drove a short distance, and started a lot, just to run. The parasitic drain and this are causing me so much anxiety. Thank you for your response.
Old 12-18-2023, 09:20 AM

They are not leaking but i have not drove it much in several years, only short distance, and start it to run a while.The man who replaced the section of line used metal instead of plastic. I need to find a remote battery disconnect switch too. Just these two issues that I know of, but it has been sitting for a very long time. Washed, and cleaned of course. Hope your health gets better, especially those knees. I'm 63, 64 in a few days.
Old 12-18-2023, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Any reason you can't just bend the tube? Why trust your car to some guy walking down the street? There are shops everywhere.
Real "Parasitic draw" is usually caused by something done after it left the factory. Do you leave anything plugged into the 12V power outlets? Stock radio? CheckEngineLight? Brake lights that don't go off? LEDs added?
Yes, I don't know how. I am a woman, not that, that matters, lots of women mechanics, but I am not one of them.Lot's of shops everywhere, but money is my issue. I am on a fixed income, so therefore I cannot pay much. I am not sure of anything factory market that is in my car. I have had it for about 12 years, and I haven't put anything on it. Drove it fine for years before this happened. Nope nothing left plugged in, no lights on........Now, the check engine light will come on, and then i would take my gas cap off, drive it, and then put it back on, and it would go out. It's done that forever, and the battery didn't drain. Thank you.
Old 12-18-2023, 12:07 PM

Always turn the gas cap until it clicks 3 times. If the cap is loose the EVAP testing can go on and on over night causing a drain. If the CEL is from a loose gas cap the way to clear it is to tighten the cap then drive, not drive cap off.
You don't know how to bend something? That has nothing to do with sex. The fuel lines are very close to the bottom of the rear driver side door, no need to crawl under the car. Or, the next time you get the oil changed ask them to push it out of harms way. (should change the oil once a year, regardless of mileage)
If the CEL comes on go to a local auto parts store and ask them to read the codes for free. Ask for the code numbers not the verbal description then ask us what it means. Have you thought that the battery may be worn out? Have you ever replaced it? They last for 3-5 years. The parts stores will check that for free.
I bet my fixed income is less than yours.
Old 12-18-2023, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Always turn the gas cap until it clicks 3 times. If the cap is loose the EVAP testing can go on and on over night causing a drain. If the CEL is from a loose gas cap the way to clear it is to tighten the cap then drive, not drive cap off.
You don't know how to bend something? That has nothing to do with sex. The fuel lines are very close to the bottom of the rear driver side door, no need to crawl under the car. Or, the next time you get the oil changed ask them to push it out of harms way. (should change the oil once a year, regardless of mileage)
If the CEL comes on go to a local auto parts store and ask them to read the codes for free. Ask for the code numbers not the verbal description then ask us what it means. Have you thought that the battery may be worn out? Have you ever replaced it? They last for 3-5 years. The parts stores will check that for free.
I bet my fixed income is less than yours.
Thank you for the response. As I said, I am not mechanically inclined. What if i break the line, or crimp it in a bad way. Anyway I have a lock gas cap I bought years ago, and it's not the factory gas cap. Don't know if that matters. I will take it to the auto parts store and get them to check it. I will get the code numbers, and bring them back here. It will be a while before I can do this, but I will do it. I thought about getting a code reader for myself, but there we go again $$$ I bought the battery that was in it new a few years ago, and it went dead in 3 days, so that's not it. I have a new one that is sitting on my kitchen counter until I can get this process in motion, and the weather is not getting any better here.On a side note, if your fixed income is zero, then you win *happy face* Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fuel line insulation question