General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Fuel line insulation question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by DarcyS
Thank you for the response. As I said, I am not mechanically inclined. What if i break the line, or crimp it in a bad way. Anyway I have a lock gas cap I bought years ago, and it's not the factory gas cap. Don't know if that matters. I will take it to the auto parts store and get them to check it. I will get the code numbers, and bring them back here. It will be a while before I can do this, but I will do it. I thought about getting a code reader for myself, but there we go again $$$ I bought the battery that was in it new a few years ago, and it went dead in 3 days, so that's not it. I have a new one that is sitting on my kitchen counter until I can get this process in motion, and the weather is not getting any better here.On a side note, if your fixed income is zero, then you win *happy face* Thanks.
I also forgot to say that the radio is not working either. First the CD player quit working. Then one day I got in it, and the radio was not working. Could this tell you something too. Thank you.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:54 AM

Locking the gas cap is not the point it is sealing it. Not sealing is the cause of EVAP codes. The computer test it while the car is resting, that means "power draw".
Typically, radio problems are actually speakers gone bad. Do you hear turn signal clicks? Those are made by the radio, you hear them from the tweeter in the windshield garnish. The door speakers are the ones that fail. Are the tire pressure monitors working?
Old 12-19-2023, 11:35 AM
Administrator

I moved this to its own thread as to not pirate the other thread it was tagged to.

I don’t know of any locking fuel cap that works on the HHR , for that matter even aftermarket caps don’t seem to work properly. For both my HHR’s I had to order correct GM caps.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Locking the gas cap is not the point it is sealing it. Not sealing is the cause of EVAP codes. The computer test it while the car is resting, that means "power draw".
Typically, radio problems are actually speakers gone bad. Do you hear turn signal clicks? Those are made by the radio, you hear them from the tweeter in the windshield garnish. The door speakers are the ones that fail. Are the tire pressure monitors working?
I understand now the gas cap needs to be sealed. I didn't know that the computer would test my car like that when it is resting. No I don't hear turn signal clicks, or flashers, or chimes if key is in ignition when the door is open. No I don't see the tire pressure monitor, and I know they are low right now. Wow, your the first person to tell me this, and I am so thankful! I don't have the original gas cap, but if i turn the keyed gas cap it will click when I turn it. (I understand it needs to be sealed) Maybe I should try to buy a new one? I still need to have Advance Auto use the code reader, and get back with you all on it. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:33 PM

A 2006 won't have TPMS. I didn't look for your year.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:39 PM

your 'parasitic draw'... how long before it drains the battery? all newer cars do use battery voltage to a small extent when the ignition is off, and will kill the battery over time. I'd have the battery tested and clean connections first. chances are if the battery is more than a few years old, or a smaller size, it could be in need of replacing.
However, the radio acting up could be the culprit if it is messed up inside and draining your battery.
Old 12-22-2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
a 2006 won't have tpms. I didn't look for your year.
tmps?
Old 12-22-2023, 06:41 PM

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) gives you a dash light of a tire with an exclamation in it, tells when a tire pressure is low, or one or more sensors are not working. They were not installed on the 2006 model year so no worries!

I have it on my 2008 Trailblazer and I fixed it after replacing all the sensors and going through the wiring and computer, final fix was black duct tape over the light on the dash.