General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Gas in Tank during Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:05 PM

Gas in Tank during Winter

Hey Y'all, I want to hear some opinions

I filled up my HHR about 2 weeks ago. Since then I have used about a quarter of the tank. I don't expect to drive it too often. I'll probably drive it once or twice a week on short trips to the grocery store or something like that. I'm thinking that over the winter I will probably use a tank a month, if not less.
Up here in Calgary it can get pretty cold in the winter. Over the next 4 months or so our average day time high will go from about slightly over freezing to -15 or -20 degree celcius. My HHR is garaged all the time and the garage maintains a temperature of about 8 or 10 degrees celcius. For fuel, I use a "Winter-blend" gas from one of the major providers up here. They claim: Includes a de-icer that minimizes potential problems due to the possible presence of condensation in fuel tanks and lines during cold weather.
Contains Tactrol*, our proprietary deposit control additive, designed to keep fuel systems clean.
It evaporates more readily than summer gasoline for improved cold weather start-ups.

Now, should I be worried about fuel seperation, water development, or other things happening to the gas in my tanks. Would it be useful, or smart, to add some sort of additive? I've never had a vehicle which sat in the garage most of the time which is why I am slightly concerned about the gasoline. I know GM doesn't recommend the use of any additives.

What do you folks think??

Thanks
Old 11-14-2006, 12:30 PM

I wouldn't worry about the gas, just keep the tank full, and don't add additives. Many do more damage than they do good. I have a boat and thats how it's stored over the winters with out problems in the spring.
I'd be more concerned about the short trips to the store etc. That is hard on engine oil and exhaust systems because they don't get up to temperature long enough to get rid of the moisture.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:48 PM

My s-10 is used mostly for the bad winter weather and snow plowing and sits most of the rest of the year, I put some deicer in it but nothing else. I have not had any problems starting with it sitting outside, it does have a block heater but i have not needed to use it for the last 2 years. it has 134,000 miles on it.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:11 PM

Only thing I would recemmend is maybe fuel stablizer (but looks like they already add that). You probably won't have an issue with moisture, but it's only a precaution. If you are only doing very short trips, I would at least run it to get the exhaust hot. Since it will garaged, you should be .