General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

General Thoughts on the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:02 PM

General Thoughts on the HHR

With almost three thousand miles on Black Betty thought I would comment on the good the bad and the ugly.

Things I like about the HHR:

Love the look exspecialy with the running boards.

After some getting used to this girl gets up and goes.

Great gas mileage

I take a winding road to work every day and Betty does great in the turns.

All of the cool aftermarket products that are available for this wagon.

The 4-60 air conditioning. With all four windows open the air inside is perfect!

Great for runs to the store. Found the net to be next to useless. I use a bungie cord from the tie downs.

Things I dislike:

The sonic boom sound when the back windows are down and the front ones are up. Easy fix, crack the front windows.

No lights on the window buttons. Seen a fix for that in here also.

Basic radio package could go a little louder.

Why would you not put croos rails on the roof rack?

Overall a great Wagon!

Black Betty

2007 1LT HHR
Black Exterior, gray cloth interior
2.2 engine
Automatic

Extras
Bright Crome Package
Running Boards
Roof Rack
Old 08-17-2007, 04:19 PM

I'm totally agree with you for the basic sound system

I really love my HHR most i like are: looks, fuel economy, cargo room and electric power steering remembers me old car very easy to steer.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RiverRatt3
Why would you not put croos rails on the roof rack?
So they could charge you extra through the parts department.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
So they could charge you extra through the parts department.
The cap't scores again!!
Old 08-17-2007, 06:32 PM

I drive with my headlights on 24x7. I love the fact that I can flip down to the parking lights when necessary. Anybody that frequently enters a restricted area with guards, will also appreciate the fact that they can dim their lights.

Also like the fact that the dash lights operate independently of the light switch setting. Great for those of us that drive with our lights on during daylight.

The unique look.

Don't likes:
Seat is to close to the roof. I have less than 1/2" of headroom, I'm 5' 9".
For $20,000 car I would think it would come with a locking fuel door.
Lack of front end FOD (Foreign Object Damage) protection.
Lots of blind spots. The big mirrors make up for it, though.

Would like to see better MPG, I'm getting in the low 20's.

Overall, a great car.

-JJ
Old 08-18-2007, 07:43 AM

Don't likes:

Do you have a power seat? Just adjust it downward. I'm 5'10" and I have plenty of head room with the seat as high as it can go. You can also lean the seat back to get more room as long as you can still reach the steering wheel.

I think we got all we could expect in a $20K vehicle. I paid $28K for a '98 Windstar and it had all the same options. Nine years later and $8K less, I'm very satisfied!
Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
Don't likes:

Do you have a power seat? Just adjust it downward. I'm 5'10" and I have plenty of head room with the seat as high as it can go. You can also lean the seat back to get more room as long as you can still reach the steering wheel.

I think we got all we could expect in a $20K vehicle. I paid $28K for a '98 Windstar and it had all the same options. Nine years later and $8K less, I'm very satisfied!
The standard manual seat goes up & down too (you have to work a little lever on the side but heck I need the exercise ) Regardless of whether he has the manual or electric, I suspect it's set way too high cuz I'm 6'1" and have plenty of headroom--the most I've had in any "compact" car I can remember since my 63 Nova SS!

As for locking gas caps there are cars stickering a LOT more than the HHR that don't come with one either. I figure if a burglar is willing to break in my garage to steal gas he won't hesitate to tear off a locking gas cap with a crowbar. Then I've got a messed up car too. I'd rather him just unscrew the cap, siphon out some gas and be gone. Locking gas cap, no thanks.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:18 PM

I just hit 2100 this week

It is the best investment I've ever made in a car

I've gotten Birdsong up to 35 MPG

I love the turn radius, very similiar to the Outback I used to have

The radio could be louder, esp with the windows and sunroof open

It definately would be nice if the window buttons had light on them for nighttime use

And it would be nice if the computer had a memory set for seating positions of 2 different drivers similiar to the STS caddy

But I love the look, I love driving it and seeing other HHR's out there as well!!
Old 08-18-2007, 10:46 PM

Going to add my 2 cents in here also..

Things I like about Wheelie:

1) The look of Wheelie, he looks like he has my personality, he is small, but tough looking like me (I am 5"1, Wheelie beats me by half an inch!)

2) The cargo space!, I have space for my rolling walker and my wheelchair combined!!

3) Wheelie's power!, aaieee!! ..My little 92 Toyota Corolla had 108 HP, Wheelie has 172!!..much more powerful!

4) Cruise control and Power seats, windows and locks!, My Corolla was a BASE model..UGH!

5) Wheelie's Information center, Wheelie gives me more information about his status than my Dad's Volvo!

6) Bonus like: I love Wheelie's ears!.. (Side view mirrors), They are BIG, I can see alot from behind!

Thinks I don't like:

1) ummmm...hmmmmm..ummmmm.....you know, I can't think of anything!!, so..NONE!!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:33 AM

Yes I have a power seat. And yes I have it down all the way. And no I cannot recline it. I was in a head-on in a seat that was reclining, not much at all, but I still went under the seatbelt. For whatever reason, I sit with the seat almost straight up. If not I, start to get a gut ache.

I have reclined it a notch, but any further I start sliding under the seatbelt.

I have not figured out with to do with the seat. When I test drove the car, I thought I found a sweet position, but cannot seem to find it again.

SLBR: do you sit straight up, or do you recline the seat some?

Overall I love the car. It's great. Price wise, sans the lack of a locking fuel door, I think it's a good value for the money.

I agree it your car gets singled out for a siphon; you are going to be greeted with an empty fuel tank. But what the locking gas cap does is stop the splurge of the moment prowler. They open the fuel door and see that there is going to be some work involved and move on to the next car.

-JJ

Quick Reply: General Thoughts on the HHR