General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Had a BIG problem this morning....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:47 AM

Had a BIG problem this morning....

So, I wake up and it was -36˚F outside. As I get ready to leave I start the HHR with the factory remote starter and let it run to warmup. I hit the time limit and the HHR shuts off, no big deal as I was on my way out the door. When I get in the HHR I put the key in the ignition and turn the key, I get a message that says SERVICE AIRBAG and the car will not start. I think that maybe the cold weather has taken its toll on the HHR, but everything else works fine - lights are on, heater fan is running and everything else seems fine.... So I try to start it again, still nothing. Now i am getting a little upset as I am sitting in the HHR that is not very warm because of the -36˚ outside and the HHR is not running. I try the remote start again, lock the doors, hit the started and nothing.... So I unlock the doors with a double push of the remote and set the keys on the dash. I start to take out the manual to see if I can find anything about the SERVICE AIRBAG massage and that when it happens...... The HHR starts on its own Now I was not touching the keys and did not have the keys in the ignition.... There is not way the HHR should have started with the doors unlocked and no one operating the remote...

SO, what do you think happened here?? What is the deal with the SERVICE AIRBAG message on the display??
Old 02-20-2008, 10:51 AM

The deal is it's damn cold! Sounds like something is a bit off, but if it won't do it when it is a bit warmer out, you may have trouble getting the dealer to diagnose it.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:57 AM

Thats is why I am asking you guys first... The dealer will have no way of knowing what I am talking about let alone diagnosing the issue....

Just has me a little worried....
Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 AM

-36? Holly crap! I can guarantee you I would malfunction in that temp.

Thats friggin cold!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by tireman1554
-36? Holly crap! I can guarantee you I would malfunction in that temp.

Thats friggin cold!
It was colder then that on the trip to work Just -36˚ when I was sitting at home, but the HHR will still only read to -22 but on the way to work it read -----˚F. Blanked right out this time.....
Old 02-20-2008, 12:22 PM

If it flashed a code ( if thats what the DIC said ) cant the dealer pull that info off with their scanners?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
If it flashed a code ( if thats what the DIC said ) cant the dealer pull that info off with their scanners?
Yes, codes were probably stored.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:05 PM

HHRs(as well as almost all current production GM) starters are activated like this.
key in and turn to acc: +12 volts applied to acc curcuits
key to ignition: +12 volts is applied to acc and ign.
key to start: +12 volts is sent to starter as -12volts is sent to ign and acc.

the process of starting BEGINS when the key is moved from acc to ign to start and it ENDS when the vehicle starts...not when you turn back the key like older cars.

The car simply was carrying out the last comand you gave it when it was able to do so. Since you also tried to remote start, the passkey+ system was also bypassed for one startup cycle.

The airbag light was brought about since second ign and second acc were not inergized appropriately and in the correct sequence.

In short... get the car serviced.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by collyn
HHRs(as well as almost all current production GM) starters are activated like this.
key in and turn to acc: +12 volts applied to acc curcuits
key to ignition: +12 volts is applied to acc and ign.
key to start: +12 volts is sent to starter as -12volts is sent to ign and acc.

the process of starting BEGINS when the key is moved from acc to ign to start and it ENDS when the vehicle starts...not when you turn back the key like older cars.
Kind of knew that something was a little different in the way the HHR starts. Good explanation, thanks.

Couple of dumb questions come to mind.

So in theory you could hold the key in the start position forever once it started without damaging anything?

If ign is not getting voltage (-12) in the start position how does it have ign current to run with, some kind of starter / ign bypass?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Old Ray
So in theory you could hold the key in the start position forever once it started without damaging anything?
That is correct. I've started mine with the remote and out of force of habit when I put the key in, turned it and had that Oh Sh$% moment. Nothing happened No starter grind.

Quick Reply: Had a BIG problem this morning....