General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Had to drive a Malibu while the HHR was in...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:48 PM

Had to drive a Malibu while the HHR was in...

When I bought the HHR, I was extremely impressed. I had high hopes for Chevy that if all their styling and attention to design was like this HHR, then they were on the quick road to recovery. Then I brought my HHR into the delaership to get the driver's side door repainted. I had the malibu for one day (evening to the next evening), and I quickly hated that car. The exterior looks horrible, the interior is extremely bland, the rear window and side mirrors shake like crazy with the bass of the music... It was just horrid. The only thing I liked was the v-6. It's sad to me that the v-6 seemed to have a lot of kick, as a month ago I used to daily drive a Trans Am with the V-8 LT1 in it, heh. But I grew to hate the Malibu and boy was I glad to have my HHR back. From what I can tell, the HHR really seems to be ahead in quality of the rest of the Chevy cars... I'm bringing the HHR in again this monday, and I specially requested a different loaner car then the Malibu, we'll see what I have to say then... Anyone else experience this?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:15 AM

Kinda... I took my HHR in for minor repair (warranty work) and they gave me a TRAILBLAZER!!!! (OMG)
Now, nothing against the Trailblazer- although they're nice, I personally don't care for them- but why must a dealer will give you a loaner that isn't ANYTHING like the vehicle you purchased? I mean... the BIGGEST reason I bought the HHR was for gas mileage (drive almost 100miles/day to an fro work alone)! Styling/functionality/price were ALL just added bonus'!!
Hell- it cost me $12 to put 1/8th of a tank of gas back in the thing (as they requested)... and that was only ONE DAY of very 'easy' driving .

On that note... the dealer was a little miffed (at me) for 'only' leaving them 1/8th a tank of gas- so they put a few bucks in it (not at my expense ). When the service manager told me that I about fell off my chair (!) and advised that 1/8th a tank in the HHR was like 70 - 80 miles!!! Of course - he didn't believe me... but, hey - I got some free gas outta the deal .

I love dealerships .
Old 07-27-2006, 07:25 AM
Banned

I also had a similar experience but they gave me a 06 Grand Prix. That car sucked! It felt nice being in a V6 compared to my HHRs 4 cylinder but that was the only thing I liked about the Grand Prix.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:28 AM

Took my car in to get the running borads installed and get the rear doors painted. They also had to paint the drivers door (had primer showing through the paint. My car was in for a week. The dealer tried to give me a littler Optima. I went to the owner (I know him and he's the one that sold me the HHR) and he gave me the Impala SS that he was driving. He said that he was going to drive a used 2004 vette. I was shocked that he would do that for me!
Man that SS was sweet and the power it had. I know what car I would love to get if I had the money. Mark me down for a SS.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:34 AM

I took my HHR in to have the air conditioner "growl" fixed and I got a 2005suburban. It wasn't bad other than the HUGE drop in gas mileage. It was one of the vehicles that received hail damage from a recent storm and was dinged up a bit, however it was loaded. I thought it was a little funny the loner car was valued at almost twice my HHR.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:43 AM

I had a similar experience. I had to bring in my HHR for work that wasn't taken care of to my satisfaction. I drove off with the same problems. Radio popping, tranny shifting in high gear and wheel alignment. They gave me a 2004 Malibu Maxx. V6 power was nice but i had to put in a 1/4 tank of gas that cost me almost $30.00. It has to go back again when I have the time to do so when service is open. I'm not taking that Malibu again.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:12 AM

I had to drive a 2006 Malibu for a week while my HHR was being repaired. I hated the Malibu as well. It's a shame they sell so many of them.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by outdooricon
I had the malibu for one day (evening to the next evening), and I quickly hated that car.
I had the same experience...rental malibu while my HHR was in for warranty work. Hated the malibu...terrible radio, carpet was coming up around the door sills, bad, bad, bad car.....
Old 07-29-2006, 08:19 AM

Sure glad I didn't get the Malibu when I bought my HHR. I just sat in one. The sales person asked if I wanted to test drive it. I didn't. It was too vanilla to me.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:07 PM

I have a 2005 Malibu Base model with the 2.2L. I love it. It gets about 2mpg better than the HHR, 32-33 vs 30-31 for the HHR in the same type of driving. I must admit the HHR rides better and is quiter. The older Malibus arn't nearly as good as the 05-06s.

Quick Reply: Had to drive a Malibu while the HHR was in...