General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Headlight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 08:31 AM

The adjusting screw in the engine compartment raises and lowers the beam. If you got floods you didn't get "headlight". Headlights should extend a beam a good 50 feet to the ground and a bit to the right, I don't remember the actual distance number.
If you read the package they come in, many of them state "for show use only" or "not for road use".

You seem to think physics changes with the bulbs. Convex mirrors don't care what the source is, just the angles.

Detailed aiming instructions are in the Owner Manual.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Changing the bulbs from incandescent to LED doesn’t require you to aim the headlights, just time the bulbs in the headlight housing to reflect off the reflectors. Some LED bulbs come already aligned, some don’t.
the low beam should point or shine upwards, or to the right.

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-19-2023 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:50 AM

get a new auto-correct; that is very hard to make sense of.
Then, why does the manual say downward.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Donbrew, don’t forget the manual applies to factory bulbs, not led bulbs.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:07 AM

So, you want to blind people even with low beams? If they are aimed high they will hit the windshield of oncoming cars, regardless of the source of the light. Aiming low beams up and right won't illuminate the important part of the road. Slightly down will illuminate the actual pavement in front of the car for a good enough distance to react to. Headlight, whether LED or filament are spot not flood; they are a BEAM. The beam should land at a point that they don' shine into the rear window of the car in front of you and far enough so you can safely stop before running over that kid crossing the road.
The HHR headlight housings are already set without adjuster to the right; if you move to a right hand drive country you have to replace the housings with country specific ones.

Convex reflectors form beams of light that can be aimed by changing angles of incidence. The LED should have elements that shine toward the reflector, a head light bulb has a reflector in the front for that purpose a proper LED does too.

In Europe the say "city lights" for low beams and "country lights" for high beams. It is illegal in some cities to use the highs.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Ok,Did you look at any of the videos I posted.

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-20-2023 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:20 AM

I have to lean with donbrew here. "Sided" LED bulbs simulate the filament placement of a halogen while "in the round" just illuminate everything with no real beam pattern. While they may be bright, they tend to be blinding. I would like to see your videos Oldblue - I did look, but did not find them through your profile - for comparison. I bought almost those exact ones that donbrew posted (2 sided) and they work well:

I still have to get back in there and adjust the actual angle of which they "sit" to level the beam pattern, but even with them slightly kiltered I haven't had anyone flash me. But I also adjusted the housings downwards a little, just in case.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by hhrumadbruh
Led bulbs are different. They don't work the same in the stock housing. Its not meant for LED. Same thing with HID. I'm sure you've notice the mass amounts of people with lights that blind... I tried turning the led bulbs in my 2010 LT. you can't aim them. It's just a flood all around. No wait to guide them. They go 10' above the car and light the trees up...
Yes they do - my panel is a 2010. Doesn't matter the year - all the headlight housings are the same. You can aim 2 sided bulbs - look at my photos.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Ok, I’m out, no sense being made here. Did you look at any of the videos I posted.
Are they posted in this thread? I don't see them either.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:44 AM
Administrator

I’m my 2007 and 2011, I didn’t have to re aim the head lights, just lucky I guess. In the last 13 years of driving those HHRs I’ve had Sylvania and 2 sided led 3 sided led ,4 sided led and now 6 sided led bulbs, I’ve never ever had anyone flash me while driving with my low beams on.

And I’m going to install new B2E headlights with new set of 6 sided led bulbs , seeing as these are new , of course I will align them properly using a tutorial from TRQ , I posted that video earlier today.

I’m correcting a mistake in my video, the three leds closer to the reflector is the low beam , and must point up when installed, the three farthest are the high beams and will point down, this aims them correctly at the reflector as does the filaments in the incandescent bulbs.

On the left are the high beams and the left low.

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-20-2023 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Headlight bulbs?