General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Headlights On/Off switch not working. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 02:23 PM

Headlights On/Off switch not working. Help!

I have searched this forum and the web prior to posting without any luck..hoping someone can help. Recently purchased my third HHR, a 2007 LS model. Previously owned an 06 LS and 06 LT. My headlights work as they should, on auto mode or manual mode. However I can not shut the lights off by turning the switch downward to the on/off position. When I turn the switch downward nothing happens and the lights stay on. In my previous two HHR when I do this it shut all the lights off as it should. It’s a big deal as in the winter I start my car to warm up and the lights shine into a neighbors apartment windows! I need this feature to work! The auto lights on / auto lights off does not come on the DIC when I turn the knob down to on/of nor does the bell chime. Can anyone tell me if it is related to a bad fuse or a specific relay? I can not imagine this would be an option that is not standard on the car that it isn’t equipped with? Considering all other features on this lever work, I would not think it’s a problem with the turn switch lever or headlights dial? And both my 06 models had it. Any help appreciated!
Old 03-09-2020, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I suggest you check the fuses in the underhood fuse box, just to ensure they are in place and tight, also the four relays.
Then I suggest a battery lobotomy, disconnect the negative cable only for a full 30 minutes, place a folded towel over the latch so it cannot latch if you try to close the liftgate (we know, it’s habitual!), then reconnect the battery.
Now if the lights don’t work, order a replacement multi switch ,it is a fairly straight forward part to replace. we get a discount from RockAuto. Just so you know.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/supp...-2020-a-61707/
Old 03-09-2020, 03:30 PM

Are you aware that the 2007 uses the headlights for DRL instead of the turn signal like the 2006?
Old 03-09-2020, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

X2 on what Donbrew posted above.

Also. Doesn't pulling up on the E-brake turn off the auto headlights or DRL's ?
Old 03-09-2020, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Yes, I’m aware. That could be the answer
Old 03-09-2020, 09:16 PM

The first thing that I tried was checking to make sure all of the fuses and relays were seated tightly under the hood. I do not know how to tell if a relay needs to be replaced to be honest. I see each low and high beam has its own relay, but I do not see anything in the user manual about the auto lights relay or fuse or headlights on/off relay or fuse. Just notes in book to turn downward for a second to turn off lights. Which isn’t working for me.

i also tried the battery disconnect and again made no difference.

I read somewhere that on manual transmission you have to pull up emergency brake to turn off auto lights. My care is an automatic but tried it and that does not work either.

By replacement multi switch, can I ask what you are referring to OldBlue? The entire turning signal handle or just the rotating part for the headlight switches?

im not sure DonBrew what you mean about the daytime running lights. My issue isn’t related to daytime lights. I simply can not turn off my lights when the car is running and I’m sitting in the dark. I should be able to turn to on/off for a second and all exterior lights turn off.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:11 PM

Unless you look at the tail lights you can't tell the difference between DRL and headlights. DRL is supposed to turn off when trans in park.

The "multi-switch" is the entire stalk.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:56 AM

Here's the multi function switch from Rock Auto
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...on+switch,4580

And the how to video.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:01 AM

I just replaced mine but for a different reason. Very easy to do......
Old 03-10-2020, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Did you check the DIC and turn off the headlights for remote start, and light flash for lock unlock, see if that resolves the problem?

Quick Reply: Headlights On/Off switch not working. Help!