General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Heated seats mod ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 06:48 PM

The main reason you can’t do it, is that even if you were competent to design it, it wouldn’t be worth the necessary safety testing for a one-off.

In any event, it would be far easier to eliminate the heat to the back, because the thermostat, or temperature sensor as it were, is in the seat, and if you eliminated power to the element there, the heat to the back would run away.

The down and dirty way to eliminate heat to the back would be to shunt the power to another equivalent element of equal resistance, perhaps just heating the air instead of the seat.

I’m mildly surprised there is no temp sensor in the back too.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
The main reason you can’t do it, is that even if you were competent to design it, it wouldn’t be worth the necessary safety testing for a one-off.
We weren't trying to create a devise to patent.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by greg8453
We weren't trying to create a devise to patent.
You missed my point. Even if you competently designed it, it’s not safe without adequate testing.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:46 PM

Just put an insulating pad on the seat. Then your back will get warmer than your butt. Problem solved, for shorter trips, anyway
Old 12-10-2022, 08:10 AM

You missed my point. Even if you competently designed it, it’s not safe without adequate testing.
How do you test Ohm's law?
Old 12-11-2022, 06:06 PM

How do you test Ohm's law?
Any number of high school physics class experiments? No actual need in the scientific community, already pretty thoroughly tested.

The problem is mostly one of thermodynamics, I guess. It can be a bit tricky to figure out how quickly heat will dissipate through imprecise layers of organic material compressed by ugly bags of mostly water meatbags. Not as straightforward as V=IR.

Even the most thoroughly tested electronic and electrical products cause fires. Only a fool would think their design skills are so infallible that their work need not be tested.

Last edited by PulpFriction; 12-11-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:14 PM

Any number of high school physics class experiments? No actual need in the scientific community, already pretty thoroughly tested.

The problem is mostly one of thermodynamics, I guess. It can be a bit tricky to figure out how quickly heat will dissipate through imprecise layers of organic material compressed by ugly bags of mostly water meatbags. Not as straightforward as V=IR.

Even the most thoroughly tested electronic and electrical products cause fires. Only a fool would think their design skills are so infallible that their work need not be tested.
If the element gets 10 volts and that's what I build I do not need to test it.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:19 PM

If the element gets 10 volts and that's what I build I do not need to test it.
Voltage has nothing to do with it. You can start a fire with a 1.5V AAA cell. The filament in even a 6V incandescent lightbulb heats to something on the order of 4500 degrees Fahrenheit.

If you remove one element from a series of two and apply the same Voltage, the remaining one will get hotter. It’s tantamount to a short, so if you’re lucky it will just blow the fuse. You’re the one that brought up Ohm’s law.

But OK. Thanks for proving my point and good luck.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by pulpfriction
voltage has nothing to do with it. You can start a fire with a 1.5v aaa cell. The filament in even a 6v incandescent lightbulb heats to something on the order of 4500 degrees fahrenheit.

If you remove one element from a series of two and apply the same voltage, the remaining one will get hotter.

But ok. Thanks for proving my point and good luck.
I said I would build the circuit to provide the correct voltage.
I will work just fine.
Here's from my post.
Since they are in series the voltage is dropped half across each element so we would need to build a step down circuit to supply the correct voltage across the element. If not it will burn out the element quickly and it could get to hot and possible cause a fire. If the elements were constructed in parallel we could just use a switch. In a parallel circuit the voltage is full across both and you can use a switch to turn it off.
Do you understand basic electronics? If you understand what I just told you we could probably do it.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:35 PM

Voltage has nothing to do with it. You can start a fire with a 1.5V AAA cell. The filament in even a 6V incandescent lightbulb heats to something on the order of 4500 degrees Fahrenheit.

If you remove one element from a series of two and apply the same Voltage, the remaining one will get hotter. It’s tantamount to a short, so if you’re lucky it will just blow the fuse. You’re the one that brought up Ohm’s law.

But OK. Thanks for proving my point and good luck.
When you say voltage has nothing to do with it you show how little you understand about electronics.
Power is measured in watts and produces heat. Power is derived by multiplying voltage and current.
You can see how your statement is completely contradicted by the facts.

Quick Reply: Heated seats mod ?