General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Helicopter Tape it will stop a bullet but will it stops stones?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:02 PM

Helicopter Tape it will stop a bullet but will it stops stones?

I bought some Helicopter tape today

If you do not know it is a Polyurethane clear tape. It was originally used to repair things on Yes Helicopters. Rotor blade repair bullet holes etc.

This is a very durable tape that Racer also use. Most Sprint cup cars have it all over the nose to protect the paint at high speed tracks like Daytona. Other wise the paint would be peeled off after only a few laps.

I bought a roll to repair my sons race car body and only used a small bit. I plan to use it on the flat part of the nose of my SS Bumper and on the lower leading edge.

This material is faily easy to apply and should do a good job protecting the paint. If it will hold on at speeds well over 200 MPH and it bullet proof it should stop a stone or two.

I will post how it works out.

Note you can reposition it easily and will work in temps of -65 to 300 degrees.

The company that makes it is ISC Racers Tape. They do have a web site. I must warn it is not cheap. A 30' roll was $49.

I noted it is the same material or near the same as the lens protectors on my headlights I put on a little while ago. The glue is just not a sticky to let you move it if needed.

I think this would be ideal for quarter panel flairs, wheel wells and rockets.

I have know about this for a while but just never got around to getting a roll. Will just see how this works out.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:10 AM

Is it better than duct tape for hill-billy body work?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
Is it better than duct tape for hill-billy body work?
Nothing's better than duct tape.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 AM

One thing you will find out that your 'Helicopter Tape' is not made for it's optical clarity. It is used for cell phone armor but on a screen it is conspicuous.

This stuff was used on helicopter blades to keep sand from abrading the surface.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:44 AM

how much was it and how wide and long is it. i would like to know how it holds up.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 AM

sorry but that sounds a little dirty dont take it the wrong way haha
Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by garagebuilt
how much was it and how wide and long is it. i would like to know how it holds up.
I Tired a little out tonight and yes the clairity is a little off. But I only plan on using it this winter. and pulling it off.

A 30 foot roll was $49. I have the 6" tape but you can get other sizes.

Holding up should not be an issue nor should removing it.

I just find it is cheaper than a clear bra, will not stain or damage the paint like a vinyl bra, and will cover the most easily damaged part of the SS the front bumper.

It is not a do all tape but I can find may used for it.

FYI It is [Do I dare say better than Duct tape!] Hey this stuff is bullet proof at least that is the directions claim. Sorry I am not willing to test that claim though I do believe it would stop lead.

I would just feel better with this on the nose when I am pushing snow this winter.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tominator
One thing you will find out that your 'Helicopter Tape' is not made for it's optical clarity. It is used for cell phone armor but on a screen it is conspicuous.

This stuff was used on helicopter blades to keep sand from abrading the surface.
I notice this tonight. For my use this should not be an issue since it will just be for winter use.

The clairity is not horrible but it could be better.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 PM

This sounds like a great idea to protect paint, but one question does it damage the paint job? After reading these posts I was thinking about getting some to put on the rocker panels and wheel wells, especially when I drive on gravel roads. Will this void any factory warranties (recently purchased 09 LT1)? Any long term issues with using this such as paint peeling?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:29 PM

Sounds like what we use on the wet areas inside airplanes..Mylar...Stretchy, soft but durable..it will yellow over a LONG peroid of time... we use it to seal floors anywhere theres a possibility of water leaking.It works great on fender quarters..I also used it under the seat of my harley to stop abrasion there of the rear fender.. I get it for free

Quick Reply: Helicopter Tape it will stop a bullet but will it stops stones?