General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hhr?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM

Hhr?

Hi, I'm in the market for a new GM product. I've been driving small pick ups for over 25 years, so I went down to my local Chevy dealer to look at the Colorado, since the Silverado is way too big for my needs. I hardly "pick up" that much stuff anymore, but I still like pick ups.
While I was waiting for a salesman, I saw an HHR on the showroom floor and, not really knowing why, I walked over too it. My first inpression was, "boy this is ugly", but for some reason, I couldn't look away. I opened the door and sat inside and looked around for a minute, when the salesman came back with his keys he said, want to take it for a test ride? I asked, what the hell is this? I had never seen one before, so I was curious. He proceeded on a mad sales pitch and really raved about it, but I didn't want to waste his time. He convinced me by telling me we could drive the HHR to where the trucks were and save us a long walk.
So I drove the car around a huge city block, making all rights and not getting out of second (automatic) gear, to where the trucks were parked. Everytime I looked out the front window to check traffic for my right turns, I looked directly into the rear view mirror and told the salesman that I didn't think I could live with such a blind spot, so without giving it another thought, I went on to drive a Colorado and kinda liked the overall performance, but immediately though that the HHR was more comfortable and had a nicer cabin. I still have to check out the Saturn Vue before I make a decision, so I took the salesmans card and said goodnight.

The next morning I woke up with the HHR on my mind and started to do a little research about it and that's when I found out that it is able to get 30mpg. OK, lets search for a forum and see what's going on in the real world and that's what led me here. I think I've read every post for the last year and feel I'm a bit more educated now on the HHR and the people who love them.

It seems like a real practical car for real world city and country driving, it's not expensive and gives great mpg. And, I can still pick up stuff, cause of the space. What's not to like, right? So I'm leaning towards getting one, but can't decide if I can see myself driving in one yet. I'm going to have to take an extensive test ride, that includes highway, hills and traffic, before I can say I really want one, but I have a few questions that you may be able to answer in the meantime.

I'm six foot, is the rear view mirror in the way for other six footers or was my blind spot problem one that can be overcome?

Does the NON SS models have a 5 speed manual option or are they all automatic?

Does the NON SS models have enough power/torque to pull up hills effortlessly?

Is the SS out yet? I thought I saw someone here talkng about theirs, but I don't see any in the local inventory.

Most of the other questions I have, can be answered with a test ride, so I'll take one and come back with any others that may arise from that. One of the reasons I like small pick ups, my current one is a 4 wheel drive, is that I have a bad back and like to just open the door and sit, as not to have to get down into a car. In other words, I don't want to have to bend over as when getting into and out of a regular car. I forgot how the HHR felt when getting into it, so again, another test drive will answer that too, but if anyone has a comparison to make along these lines, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks for any help.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:51 PM

The non SS models do have a 5 speed standard trans. available. I have the small 2.2L engine...it handles hills just fine (I have the auto trans and it will downshift to negotiate some hills).
Old 01-16-2008, 02:54 PM

I'm six feet tall & don't have to hunch down to enter/exit, or drive an HHR. That might be different on a sunroof model.

Rearview mirror blindspot - I'm used to tilting my head on my other car (has the same mirror issue) so I don't notice it much. And it's only in sporty turns, which I don't do too often with the HHR.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:55 PM

I recommend you rent one and flog the heck out of it. Then you will know if it is right for you. It sounds like you have been bitten already though. After you get yours the fever will go away and you will be fine.

BTW: You can push that mirror up almost to the roof to get it out of the way.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:57 PM

I'm 5'5" and don't need a booster seat. I got out of an S-10 and into my HHR. A very practical vehicle. I had visions of modding the hell out of it and only driving it on nice days, but I use it for everything! It's been great for me. I got the 1LT with the auto trans and the 2.2 motor. It's been all I've needed except in heavy snow.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:01 PM

The HHR is also a popular rent-a-car.
most rent-a-cars HHR's come with the smaller engine...the 2.2
I dont know what motor the one you drove had...but the 2.4 also gets 30 mpg...at least mine does...mostly freeway of course.

I say go rent one...see if you can get used to driving it. I'd rather spend $100 for a few days of test drive, than $20k to find out you made a poor decision.

I drive MANY cars...I have muscle cars, luxury sport coupes, a suburban, a long bed pick-up truck, and my new(to me) HHR...which is my favorite to drive.

the short windshield is nothing new to me. I got used to it in 10 minutes
the blind spots when you turn to look back for a lane change...wouldnt be a problem, as you'll probably fold the rear seats down, so there will be no large rear seat head rests hindering your field of vision for those quick glances back...or just pop the head rests out when the seats are flipped up.

rent one...give it a few days...see how you like them after a mock-ownership.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 PM

When I bought my HHR I had never driven one. My trip, as a new owner, out of the dealership was my first ride........what a pleasant surprise ! Because of the weather I've been driving my truck, but I can't wait for spring to start wearing that thing out. I kept reading about blind spots and the position of the power window switches, but it never bothered me a bit....good luck with your decision.............motorhead,,
Old 01-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tsaiko
I'm six foot, is the rear view mirror in the way for other six footers or was my blind spot problem one that can be overcome?

Does the NON SS models have enough power/torque to pull up hills effortlessly?

First off, nice first post and welcome to the site. The rear view mirror can be adjusted by pushing it up towards the headliner. If you kind of pull out and up at the same time, it will go almost up to the headliner, improving your view by quite a bit. As for pulling up hills, I took my HHR from Missouri to Colorado on vacation, and wanted to experience the mountains while I was there, so we took a trip up to summit lake on Mount Evans. Elevation 13,000 feet. I had my wife and two kids, so the car was loaded, and it impressed the heck out of me how well it handled not only hills, but mountains. As far as everyday hills, yea, it has no problems at all. I was very apprehensive about buying a 4 cylinder because I'm used to having cars with power, but I have to say the HHR runs better than I ever thought it would. It's no V-8, but has more than enough get up and go for everyday driving, and has no problem passing either, even at highway speeds. Good luck and keep us informed on your decision.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:11 PM

yea, at first I didn't see myself driving one either but they really grow on you. I'm 6' and don't have a problem with visibility or anything else (no sunroof here though).
Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 PM

The mirror can be adjusted upward until it is almost touching the headliner to get it further out of the way