General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hhr?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:55 PM

keep in mind...the looks of the HHR are what helps seperate it from the shopping carts other people drive.

If you drove a Element, you'ld have a functional car too...but then you;ld have to try to distinguish it from the other 4 parked in the parking lot on any given day, and try to explain to the person standing outside your car sitting there pressing their keyless entry fob over and over wondering why YOUR car wont unlock, and the one 2 aisles over has an alarm that keeps going off.

bottom line is this:

form follows function
there is no FUN in FORM
but there is in FUNction.

buy something unique, fun to drive, that gets excellent mileage, and serves a purpose...and revel in the originality the HHR oozes.

You only have to justify its looks to one person...yourself.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:11 PM

I'm 6' even with a sunroof, and I still have a couple inches of headroom without having to hunch in any particular way to get into the car. The only complaint I have about being "tall" is that it's tricky to see traffic lights in shorter intersections.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:16 PM

Welcome! I did the same thing you did, and reviewed this site before I bought mine. I'd always wanted one, but when it came down to actually buying one, I wanted to know what others thought of it in actual day-to-day use -- not just a magazine review. As you can see from the responses, most owners are absolutely and completely dedicated to their HHRs. I know I am! I traded my 2003 fully-loaded Impala for my HHR. I had my concerns because my Impala ran like a scared rabbit. But my HHR holds it's own in all situations. My first road trip was last weekend and I am thoroughly impressed at the ride, the handling and the overall comfort and pleasurable experience. I averaged 30.8 MPG on that trip. My Impala was no slouch, averaging 26 MPG in my day-to-day driving, and about 28 on the full-out highway. But 30+ MPG is freakin' awesome! I've had mine less than a month, and I've gotten more looks, more thumbs-ups, and more people coming over to me to compliment the vehicle than ever before with any vehicle. Even my Harley!
Old 01-17-2008, 08:02 PM

Tsaiko, sorry, the hatch lift height is NOT adjustable, but don't let that be the only thing stopping you from buying one! If it's really an issue later on, you could always do barn doors!
Old 01-18-2008, 01:19 PM

Thanks to everyone for the feedback

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
keep in mind...the looks of the HHR are what helps seperate it from the shopping carts other people drive.
That's true

Tsaiko, sorry, the hatch lift height is NOT adjustable, but don't let that be the only thing stopping you from buying one! If it's really an issue later on, you could always do barn doors!
Ouch, looks like band aids in the glove box for me. I don't usually do mods until the warranty expires, but barn doors will certaintly be something to consider if the hatch becomes a real pain.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 PM

Hi
I saw where someone said the stick was not available in anything but a SS, and I was told the same thing by a salesman at one dealership. Sorry, but I just drove one a week ago in a 2LT. Quite a difference in pickup with the extra gear. Driving it was one reason I ordered a SS in stick. That and the fact that you lose 35 hp in the auto. The SS's are on the street now. I only ordered mine because of the color issue. All they had in a stick was black in the area. I don't like cleaning cars that well.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 PM

Nope, you can get a manual stick shift on any HHR, LS, 1LT, 2LT or SS.
I havent driven stick in years, but I can imagine it does help the acceleration significantly.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM

I've been trying to find a manual 5 speed to test drive since I first joined this forum.
I've searched the inventory of every Chevy dealer within a 20 radius and not one stick is available. I'm sure that may change now that the SS is out, but many dealers are saying that there is no sticks because they want to move what they have and apparently didn't order too many manuals since most people don't want to shift. Probably not very smart move considering the novelty of the HHR.
My quest continues.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 PM

Talking

Just bought my Black SS Monday, Great vehicle, roomy, good looking and fast. When the turbo kicks in you better hold on. There are not many out yet, so everyone thinks it is just a fancied up stocker, until you punch it and leave them in the dust. I chose the 5 speed due to the power reduction in the auto version. Fun to drive and you still get good mileage. I have driven about 250 miles so far and still have a half tank of gas. You are supposed to use Premium gas, but a small price to pay for the performance. SO far it looks like Chevy did it right and made this an SS car and not just a make over. It has traction control, performance driving mode with launch control, great suspension. four wheel disk brakes, all the goodies you need. I can't wait to get it broke in so I can try them all out.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eaglesnest
Just bought my Black SS Monday, Great vehicle, roomy, good looking and fast. When the turbo kicks in you better hold on. There are not many out yet, so everyone thinks it is just a fancied up stocker, until you punch it and leave them in the dust. I chose the 5 speed due to the power reduction in the auto version. Fun to drive and you still get good mileage. I have driven about 250 miles so far and still have a half tank of gas. You are supposed to use Premium gas, but a small price to pay for the performance. SO far it looks like Chevy did it right and made this an SS car and not just a make over. It has traction control, performance driving mode with launch control, great suspension. four wheel disk brakes, all the goodies you need. I can't wait to get it broke in so I can try them all out.
Enjoy the site AND your new SS!!!