General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:35 PM

HHR alternatives

So,
I don't think this goes in 'introductions', but I have been searching the boards for other people's opinions on the competition and haven't found much. So I'll let you know what I've been able to put together - and why I think the HHR wins (the final tally is subjective).

My criteria was simple - the vehicle has to pass what I call the stroller test (see image). This is where I can fold the full size stroller in the trunk and still have a place for a shopping/travel bag or anything else really.

This effectively eliminates all 3-box sedans and most hatchbacks (there is only the space under the glass assuming the rear deck is even deep enough to hold the stroller in the first place).

The following 3 other criteria are subjective:
2nd - Rear passenger comfort (leg room, outward visibility). Normally that is first test, but I have found that in order to pass the stroller test, the second is already passed by default.

3rd - size - smaller is better (larger exterior size = more $$ with no guarantee of more useable interior space/comfort.
The criteria for $$ is nothing specific, I personally am looking at $10k, but the numbers hold regardless of your price scale. In other words, if you want everything, and money is no object, where can you save by getting the same for less.) Smaller usually means better mileage, usually, but flex-fuel/hybrid is a plus if available.

4th - year - newer is better

Test 1: models that fail the stroller test:

Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, Nssan Versa, Honda Fit, Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass

Honorable Mention: Suzuki SX4, Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix (may pass -depends on stroller) and have very similar interior dimensions (suzuki interior/fit is much nicer than the chevy, the GM/Toyota partnership is a bit more snug in actual usability (lost space to headroom) than the HHR)

Compact:
Chevy HHR – right price will use as the benchmark for our purposes, needs 3rd row, actually roomy but ‘feels’ snug, best mileage
Chevy Malibu Maxx – passes stroller test but smaller overall trunk compared to HHR after stroller is put in, - older design though
Mazda5 – only comparable to the chevy in price when bought used in low trim but has 3rd row and sliding doors albeit with poorer mileage
Kia Rondo – prefer the mazda in form but better priced/spec'd
Honda Element – too expensive – even used
Scion xB – closest in dimensions/equipment to the chevy and quieter but chevy is less money and drives more like a car. Some will prefer the xB to the HHR though - they are that close.
Dodge Journey – perfect size / interior (3rd row) / options / a smidge more money than the xB
Used 3 series wagon – smallish backseat and expensive maintenance
Subaru anything - too expensive
Volvo anything – too expensive
Jetta Wagon - if you can find a diesel with less than a million miles for less than an HHR and it doesn't have typical VW issues maybe thats a good find. But not likely to happen.
Ford Connect – HHR competitor - not out yet
Chevy Orlando – HHR replacement with 3rd row – not out yet

Large:
Chevy Equinox / Pontiac Torrent / Suzuki XL7 – when bought several years used fall within budget, some have 3rd row – cannot get late model loaded for the same money and features as something smaller
Taurus X – nicest overall vehicle – too expensive

SUV:
mazda cx-7 / ford escape / Honda crv / toyoya rav4: not what this comparison is about; completely different driving experience even if the dimensions line up.

Minivan – most expensive unless buying used and you lose all of the neat features that make it competitive or have to go several years back to be priced right. Still most bang/vehicle for the buck.

Seth

Last edited by sethwas; 08-25-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added pic from gallery and moved to introductions.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 PM

Actually when I was pricing cars the GM minivans were about the same price as the HHR as they are usually heavily discounted by the dealer. Fuel economy isnt as good though.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:21 PM

Nice comparison but it misses completely why I bought my HHR. It was the looks and nothing else. It is just the best looking vehicle out there IMO.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Actually when I was pricing cars the GM minivans were about the same price as the HHR as they are usually heavily discounted by the dealer. Fuel economy isnt as good though.
I drive a van now (technically I ride a scooter/motorcycle as my primary vehicle but use the van when I'm not on 2 wheels), and while in reality it is far more usable/featureful than the HHR (you can put an oven/washer/dryer move whole rooms, etc.) as a daily driver the HHR makes more sense - and it will be 13 years newer so will have better NVH and safety.
Since the van is still 'in the family' I am removing (hopefully) 2 sedans from the fleet and replacing it with the HHR.

But in reference to the quote, my pricing is after all discounts and you can find discounted HHR's where you end up with significant savings (about 50%) compared to the van. But you're right, there is a mileage penalty.

Seth
Old 08-25-2009, 07:56 PM

The HHR sells mostly for Looks, Price and MPG. These are the three prime reasons.

The New 4 cylinder Nox is priced well and is the best in class for this kind of vehicle. That is no my opinion but just about every review of it you will read.

The Orlando will be the closest thing next fall. Price and MPG will be there but it will lose the looks.

It also should have better interior space. The third row is crap few people will ever use it or want too. It is a euro thing few Americans care for. THis is going to Europe other wise the third seat would not be there.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:17 AM

Why we bought an HHR, in no particular order:
Looks
Size/carrying room
fuel milage
price

We were looking at used originally, but with 0% financing the payments/price for new was actually less than used. Plus got a new car warantee.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:43 AM

I figured out that other vehicles big enough to carry a bicycle cost more and got lower gas mileage, so I got the HHR.

I'm glad now I didn't get a Mini or Smart Car. The Chev dealer is only 8 miles away, and does a good job. Superior Chevrolet, Decatur, GA.
What happened to the Cube? I haven't seen any on the road.

http://www.trfindley.com/flcars/hhrf.JPG
http://www.trfindley.com/flcars/hhrg.JPG
http://www.trfindley.com/flcars/hhrh.JPG

Last edited by trfindley; 08-26-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:38 AM

Seth, have since you look to also be comparing used, have you looked at the Ford Freestyle? It is nearly identical to the Taurus X but has a less powerful motor. Used prices are very reasonable(it was built 05-07). I'd probably still take the HHR since you are keeping the old van for larger hauling but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 AM

How about a 2010 Ford Focus RS?

Sadly, not for NA.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
Seth, have since you look to also be comparing used, have you looked at the Ford Freestyle?
I have, but there were more changes than just the engine when it moved to 'taurus x'. There were some issues/defects which were corrected in the change. Not to mention the whole machine became classier.

I agree with the equinox comment and the only thing that kills it is E85.
If the HHR is the cobalt wagon, the Equinox the malibu 'wagon'. But my personal preference is for the Torrent (of the theta sisters I like the pontiac interior trim better). The XL7 is actually the best of the bunch just because they come more loaded and are japanese built.

But now lets go back to the rules, if my budget is $10k ('09 used 2LT pricing in early '10 when I plan to buy), I cannot get a later model or low mileage version with all options of even a freestyle. The torrent/equinox/xl7 come very close. If my budget was $15k the discussion would probably be a bit different - i.e. is choosing the smaller, cheaper, cheaper to insure, and cheaper to maintain HHR worth 'stepping down' from a Theta machine?

As for the MPV comment on the kia/mazda/orlando you are correct that they are not 'real' 3rd rows like you would find in a proper mini-van, and they fail the stroller test with that 3rd row in use, as do all vehicles short a large SUV or van, however they are there for the odd time that you need one and you know the adage...better to have it and nod need it, etc.

I'll break down the math to be more clear - these prices are 'typical' and I'm shooting for the lowest OTD cost with highest content:

Mid Size:

Torrent (19mpg):
09 - $18k (30k miles)
08 - $14k (20k miles)
07 - same as 08

Taurus X (19mpg):
09 - $27k (15k miles)
08 - $15k (50k miles)

Minivan

Chrysler Town and Country (Touring [above lx below limited]) (19mpg)
09 (flex fuel) - $23k (10k miles)
08 (flex fuel) - $17k (40k miles)

Compact:

Mazda5 (Touring [above sport below grand touring]) (23mpg):
09: $17k (8k miles)
08: $15k (30k miles)
08: $13k (30k miles)

Scion Xb (24mpg):
09: $17k (30k miles)
08: $13k (30k miles)
07: same as 08

HHR (2LT) (24mpg):
09 (flex fuel): $13k 2LT
08: $11k
07: $10k (stops there pretty much unless you are looking at an LS and then the floor seems to be about $8500)

Now, how much more depreciation is there on each of those models? The math shows that the higher the cost of the vehicle, the farther down the depreciation goes each year. So with the van I'm looking at a big hit, so too with the taurus X or torrent.
Which car can I drive for a year or 3 and then trade/sell for close to what I paid? Seems to be the scion ties with the mazda at slightly higher cost than the HHR.
I don't put much mileage on the car, and would like to stick to close to 20k miles when I take acquisition. it's fair to say the torrent will take the biggest hit than the rest of the vehicles due to the brands dissappearance. That makes it the best buy likely after pontiac goes away. The suzuki version makes the most sense like the HHR in that it starts low and stays low.

The 'sweet spot' for a late model mid-size vehicle seems to be $17k. For that you get the most vehicle for the least money (and this includes vans).
That is very close to double my budget.
The Mazda makes more sense than the xB as it has a 3rd row for when you need it and certainly drives much better. The xB is smoother/quieter though (toyota is not the zoom zoom company).

The good news is that since cash for clunkers and the fact that people are buying less vehicles new, the demand for used vehicles has picked up, and the depreciation across the board is slowing or in some cases reversing.

I think the HHR is the compromise. You get the better driving dynamics similar to the mazda yet it is almost as refined as the xB, with more options than either - albeit it seems more 'plasticky' on the inside.

Time will tell if the math/logic holds come the holiday/end of year car shopping season.

Seth

Quick Reply: HHR alternatives