General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR Dilema Fix or Not

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 01:16 PM

Unhappy HHR Dilema Fix or Not

Hi!
I'm new here and looking for some advice on 2006 HHR LT.
The car has 258,000 miles on it, a daily 120 mile round trip for work.
New serpentine belt and alternator, 4 newish tires and good brakes.

The dilema:
My daughter rear-end a pick-up truck trailer hitch at a rather low speed. Just enough to set off both air bags and bend the Raditor Support back about 3-4 inches.
It also demolished the bumper and the hood looks like a pug.

I am looking for suggestions on repairing it or not. The car has good care, one owner before me that had all the maintenance done etc. Up until the crash I would have taken this car on an extended road trip and not worried about it.
I am pretty handy with tools, no real welding skills but I can find those, I think.

It appears I need:
2 airbags and the switch
a new hood and hood latch, it is bent up as well
a new bumper
New can mean used, like the junkyard.
A new radiator and fan

I am not sure that I can replace/repair the radiator support.
Also is it worth it to put this much money into this car at his point in its life? I don't know what to expect in terms of longevity.
I have attached photos.

Thanks again
John B

Old 07-10-2020, 01:47 PM

I would base much of the decision on whether the car is still in alignment. The damage looks pretty high up. If it's still in relatively good alignment then the chassis/unibody is still straight making it a much easier repair.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:23 PM

The SRS repairs are going to be costly; from my experience 2 airbags, the front impact sensor, the SDM (computer) 2 front seatbelts; each component runs about $368. Don't go used, easy DIY except for the programming. Shop the interwebs for steep discounts
Rad support is replaceable, might be persuadable. New unpainted hood around $200. New bumper cover about $200. AC and radiator may need work. Fenders look a bit crumpled, new ones are cheap. You might find a front clip at a junkyard, might get lucky and get the right color.
On just the SRS stuff you can save $2,000 by wrenching yourself.
My wild guess; not painted and you do the bolt on work, farm out the welding of the rad support and computer programming about $3,000-4,000. Insurance estimate probably about $5,000 labor.
You can get a professional estimate with part numbers and prices from a body shop.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:48 PM

You could probably replace it for less than the cost of repair.......and don't let your daughter drive your cars any more too.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:23 PM

Looks totaled to me.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:02 PM

Looks repairable body damage wise. Given your talent level mechanically.
Agree with Don Brew got to go new on the SRS.
With the stated mileage...

...I'd say it's to the salvage yard.
Put your girl in something newer and safer. Maybe with 4 wheel disc?
No one hurt? I That's most important. Experience is a great educator.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:29 AM
Administrator

At the mileage stated, depending on what else is worn out on this HHR, time to pronounce it no longer viable and buy another HHR with lower mileage and maybe more new parts on it.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:17 AM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by donbrew
The SRS repairs are going to be costly; from my experience 2 airbags, the front impact sensor, the SDM (computer) 2 front seatbelts; each component runs about $368. Don't go used, easy DIY except for the programming. Shop the interwebs for steep discounts
Rad support is replaceable, might be persuadable. New unpainted hood around $200. New bumper cover about $200. AC and radiator may need work. Fenders look a bit crumpled, new ones are cheap. You might find a front clip at a junkyard, might get lucky and get the right color.
On just the SRS stuff you can save $2,000 by wrenching yourself.
My wild guess; not painted and you do the bolt on work, farm out the welding of the rad support and computer programming about $3,000-4,000. Insurance estimate probably about $5,000 labor.
You can get a professional estimate with part numbers and prices from a body shop.
Wow! I didn't know that the SRS included all of those other parts. Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!
Old 07-11-2020, 08:19 AM

It is still in more or less alignment drove up on the trailer and off without any issues. She was going slow.
Thanks for the input and it helps with my decision making process.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:20 AM

Yes, she is on the hook for HER next car.
Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Quick Reply: HHR Dilema Fix or Not