General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 06:56 PM

Getting things a little more solid

Old 10-07-2017, 07:25 AM

Like this thread. You going to add more vertical/triangulated bracing to the top horizontal tube?
Old 10-07-2017, 09:57 AM

Thanks Dennis! You're right, I'm definitely gonna need some vertical supports for that main tube. I'm hoping to get the front suspension on this afternoon. I should have a better idea of where my supports will clear after that. Got any ideas about placement? I'm thinking after the main tubes are on, I'm gonna use some small thin walled tubing around what would be my fender area to make some areas where the tubing would crush in case of impact for a little shock absorption. Also planning on doing the same thing up front. Might reuse the factory bumper and Styrofoam. I want it to be strong, but I don't want to break my neck on a 50mph impact because my vehicle didn't give any. Thanks for the ideas Dennis!
Old 10-07-2017, 12:28 PM

I like your build.
Being a Rat Rod are you keeping the roof rack? Or are you going to take it off and chop it?
Consider the Ackerman steering also. If the wheel base is the same as the Camaro then it will be OK. Other wise adjustment to the arms on the spindles will be needed so the center line of each arm points to the middle of the rear axil.

NOTE: Your welding has to improve also.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:34 PM

Took the roof rack off, gonna make one myself that has a little custom touch to it. Thanks for the advice on the steering, I'll look into that. Lol I save the "pretty" welding for my customers. I'm just running flux wire on all this. Burns hot and holds strong. I am gonna have to go over this entire subframe. Looks like someone bought a welder and tried to learn by welding up the seams. Here are a few glamour shots from welding in the shop with gas

Old 10-07-2017, 06:40 PM

I am kinda torn about the paint job. I mean a real rat is run what ya brung. If this was gonna be a personal car I beat the hell out of on a racetrack I wouldn't hesitate leaving it exactly how it looks. But it's gonna be my work vehicle, so I'd rather my logo be on the side
Old 10-08-2017, 08:34 PM

Got the frame wire wheeled down. Ended up welding the entire seam across the top of the subframe. Bottom side didn't look nearly as bad. Put a few stitches along the bottom and got everything primed. Tomorrow I'll paint, and hopefully put some suspension on it. I did look into the Ackerman steering geometry, something to consider. I can get an idea now, but I'll get exact measurements once I have a rear axle underneath it.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

What's the wheelbase going to be when it's finished ?
Old 10-08-2017, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
What's the wheelbase going to be when it's finished ?
I can't remember exactly, but I wanna say it's 28" longer than factory. I'm thinking it's gonna be about 180" bumper to bumper. Gonna take the right stance and a few things here and there, but I think it's gonna look pretty sweet.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:55 PM

Got some color on the subframe today. Went with VHT's epoxy paint. The paint I originally bought needed to be baked at 200 degrees, so I swapped it out. Need to get an engine to stuff in here!!

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod