General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hide your key

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 PM

Hide your key

So I locked myself out once, many years ago. It was an absolute nightmare. I vowed to NEVER let this happen again. So I hide a spare key somewhere on the outside of my vehicle. I usually duct tape it to the backside of the license plate. The thing about license plate screws is you can unscrew them with a coin and a little patience.

I had a $2 spare made for the HHR, no it will not start the car/truck/van, but it will unlock the door. This is fine since I have never lost the key, just locked it inside the vehicle. The HHR has a different kind of screw on the license plate, so I am thinking maybe finding another spot, that or getting new screws. Perhaps securing the key to the underneath of the frame with a tie wrap and a key ring, only problem is the key will get wet and tend to rust. Just wondering if someone has found an easy accessible spot that would keep the key dry?

Being that this thread could create a security concern for myself or others, don't reply if you post your address. I merely put my location as Dallas Texas.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

When vehicles had two separate keys, one for the door and a different one for the ignition, I taped the door key to the license plate or gas filler neck, or gas filler door and the ignition spare key to a secret place inside the car. Kind of double security.

Now, I just wrap a spare in plastic wrap, etc. and tape it to a place of convenience.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:13 PM

In th event of lockout, my son uses the age old magnetic box stuck somewhere on the under side of his vehicle. I use my cell phone call and Auto Club.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 PM

I'll call Onstar
Old 10-29-2013, 11:04 PM

I've used a magnetic box for years without any problems. Just make sure it is stuck good.
Place it so you can reach it without having to crawl under the car.

SF
Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 PM

Like on the fuel door?

There is another option, they make plastic blanks that you can carry in your wallet like a credit card. Check with your local locksmith.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Like on the fuel door?

There is another option, they make plastic blanks that you can carry in your wallet like a credit card. Check with your local locksmith.
Thats an Ok idea but it wont help you if you lose your keys.
I have used the magnet boxes for over 30 years and several times it save me when the keys were not locked in the car.
Personally I want a 90% + insurance policy.

SF
Old 10-31-2013, 08:33 AM

The OP was not worried about driving the car, just opening the door.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 PM

Back in the stone ages Triumphs and MG's used to put a spare key inside the tail light lens. That's where I keep mine for my Jeep and I never go anywhere without my Swiss Army knife with the phillips screwdriver.

The idea of taping one to the back of the license plate would never work in Miami where the most popular license plate is made of cardboard and reads "STOLEN PLATE" with a case number.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:01 PM

I have had cars with electric door openers in them since the late 70's.

I always install a simple push button somewhere under the car that will activate the electronic door unlocking feature.

Sure almost anyone could watch me use the button but unless you know where it actually is your not real likely to find it, mainly because most folks wouldn't be looking for such a feature.

I did have one car that had the switch wired in stolen but it was stolen by my ex-wife who had a key she was not supposed to have after our divorce settlement. She wanted the newest car but not the payments. I got the car and the payments so she took it anyway.

She didn't run very far before she and her boyfriend of the hour stopped for a few drinks. I convinced one of my buddies to follow in the direction I was pretty sure she was going when we saw the car at the bar. Since I had my own keys I just drove it away.

Always wondered how she got home after that.

After I got it home again I added a panel of switches and wires that looked a lot like something out of Q's lab for 007. If you did not know which switches to flip you were not going to get the car to start.
There were several dummy switches and at least three would cause the horn to honk continuously.

Its been darn handy for me to have the secret button on most of the cars I've owned. My new wife tends to lock the car up with the keys in it fairly often. The kid has done it several times too, its handy to just tell her where the button is instead of having to drive hundreds of miles sometimes or have her pay a locksmith to get in the car to get the keys. Although sometimes it might be worth it to 'learn her a lesson'.

I rarely keep anything of real value inside the car so it doesn't matter that much to me if someone wants to steal the crap in there. Its a lot harder to steal a car with the steering locking mechanism in it. Back in the 60's I could hot wire almost any car I came across and simply drive it away. When they started installing that steering lock it became a lot harder. You have to physically remove the mechanism, which is fairly hard to do, no matter what you have seen on TV or in movies.

Quick Reply: Hide your key