General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

High pressure washer

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:21 PM

High pressure washer

Is a high pressure washer a good investment? Does it truly eliminate the need for a brush? The ad says that you can use it to rinse, apply soap, then wash it off with out scrubbing the car. This would truly make washing the car much easier if it is all true. Let me know what you think before I plunk down the dollars. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
Is a high pressure washer a good investment? Does it truly eliminate the need for a brush? The ad says that you can use it to rinse, apply soap, then wash it off with out scrubbing the car. This would truly make washing the car much easier if it is all true. Let me know what you think before I plunk down the dollars. Thanks for the input.
Nothing can completely eliminate the need to actually use something to scrub the car from time to time. It is great for a quicker and easier wash most of the time.

I know when I used to go to do-it-yourself car washes (with older cars - I wash my HHR at home), I learned very quickly that if I was going to use a brush, I'd better brush down the WHOLE car because because you could quite clearly see a film of dirt on the places I skipped because they didn't look dirty.

Of course, you can turn up some pressure washers so high they'll completely strip your paint... that one would probably get everything off, but I don't think you want that. :)

The pressure washer certainly makes washing easier, though.

I've never washed a car so often since I bought my HHR (and this is my first garaged car). My neighbors seem to be incredibly amused by this.

But it gets dusty so quick (especially that back end)... and when I do go out... stupid birds.

Hafta keep it clean. :)

Anyway, got a little off track... Pressure washers are handy, but can't completely replace using a brush, sponge, or whatever.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:50 PM

So you think its worth 150 from QVC???

I dont know what it is with the HHR, but mine seems to be a dust/dirt magnet. It is the Sport Red color, and looks great when clean, but needs a bath at least once a week (like me ). Does Chevy use some strange wax that attracts dirt???
Old 03-30-2006, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
So you think its worth 150 from QVC???

I dont know what it is with the HHR, but mine seems to be a dust/dirt magnet. It is the Sport Red color, and looks great when clean, but needs a bath at least once a week (like me ). Does Chevy use some strange wax that attracts dirt???
This static issue is new and I don't know what is going on. I first noticed the static with my 2005 GTO but not with my 2004 Yukon and now with the HHR. Did something change with GM paints starting in MY05?

I changed wax brands and wax type but it didn't make any difference. When I pass the back of my hand close to the surface, the littles hairs stand up.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:13 AM

Funny, but I never attributed this to static but it really does make sense
There have been other threads about people getting shocked when they open the car door (never happened to me, but my son has complained about this and I just figured he was trying to use it as an excuse not to go to school).

I realize that there is a lot of energy about the HHR, and that people get all charged up when they talk about the car, but I never imagined that it would be so literal!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:18 AM

Pressure washers are like anything else........justify the need, you get what you pay for. Around the house type of work, go to your local Home Depot or Lowe's. They have some nice electric models for under 200 bucks that work fine on decks, etc. Heavy work, gasoline powered. Always be careful around vinyl siding, etc. as it is easily damaged by high pressure. And don't forget Consumer Reports. They tested some last year.

As for car washing, don't put that mitt away. You'll still need it.

Last edited by Firewatcher; 03-30-2006 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:26 AM

I have a cheap one from Wally World. I saw a small one at the store the other day that is about the size of a big purse, does 1300 psi and cost $67. It helps a lot, but you still need to wipe with a soft cloth to get it clean (especially if its black!!!!) But I use the pressure washer on numerous other things such as blasting the wheel wells, cleaning the brick on the house, getting the hard to get places on the Harley etc. For $67 you can't go wrong IMO.
I also use the extending brush to get the top. A lot easier and you don't get nearly as wet.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:02 PM

I only use my pressure washer in the wheelwells and under the car - NEVER on the paint surface. Good 'ol hand washing with light rinsing is the safest way to wash your HHR. Of course, you East Coasters who have to deal with road salt, etc., might feel the need to use force to get the gunk off...just be careful!

I can tell you some real horror stories about pressure washers and paint! Seriously!
Old 03-30-2006, 12:07 PM

Post static

Originally Posted by monster5601
This static issue is new and I don't know what is going on. I first noticed the static with my 2005 GTO but not with my 2004 Yukon and now with the HHR. Did something change with GM paints starting in MY05?

I changed wax brands and wax type but it didn't make any difference. When I pass the back of my hand close to the surface, the littles hairs stand up.
it might be because the are using water born paint instead of chemical born paint that is the only difference that i know of
Old 03-30-2006, 05:13 PM

The Old Hand Job Is The Best. High Pressure Washer Should Only Be Used Fro The Eng , Undercarrige And Maybe The Wheels. The Risk Of Damage To The Paint Is High.

Quick Reply: High pressure washer