General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How to tell if I have ABS...wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Zagohhr
Backing to the original topic, remove any of your front wheels. If you see an electric connector on the hub bearing, has ABS. if not, is not an ABS.
^ This, or look for the JM4 code in your glove box (see 2nd post). Quick and easy.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
Get whatever you want, everybody here will swear that their favorite brand is forged by the thunder god Thor.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Wink

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
What? You mean they aren't? Well I'll be!! Lol
Old 10-12-2011, 10:05 PM

Checked both of them, there was no play and was smooth when rotating them. Had the tires rotated and balanced when I had the oil changed and there was no change in noise coming from the front end. My next move is to turn the rotors.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by josephdstone
Checked both of them, there was no play and was smooth when rotating them. Had the tires rotated and balanced when I had the oil changed and there was no change in noise coming from the front end. My next move is to turn the rotors.
Just to help you to rid your issue:

- Is more noticeable if you turn to any direction specifically?
- Did you remove the hub bearings from the car and checked them? Don´t be fooled. I had this issue about 1 year ago. I thought was the driver side hub bearing (the noise in my case was when I turn to the right), and didn´t solve this. Re-surface the rotors, changed brake pads, and the noise still there. Also, I rotated the both front tires, but, it sounds smoothly... Then, I decided to remove the passenger side bearing, and this was the cause. When you remove it, you can feel how bad is it.

Last edited by Zagohhr; 10-13-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: expand
Old 10-13-2011, 01:45 PM

No, the noise isn't any different when I turn either way. The best way to describe the sound is a muffled all terrain tired sound. I didn't remove the bearing to test it though?

Is what you are getting at, that the bearings are only likely to make noise under a load?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:12 PM

Your hub assemblies are most likely shot, mine were at 63,000 miles and they both rotated smoothly on the car and off, but they had lateral play that was warping the rotors. DO NOT buy any of the brands you listed at O'Reilly's. I am very familiar with the Precision brand and they are Chinese knockoffs of the Delphi design. Many, many problems with those hubs and very short life, they are not worth it. The Delphi design has a couple of patented features the Chinese can't copy and it impacts the durability of the hub. KBI bought GM's Delphi hub assembly operation a few years ago, the plant is in Sandusky,Ohio. They are now the supplier to the OEM and aftermarket of genuine OEM parts. They supply Timken the GM hub assemblies for most of the passenger cars including the HHR. I know I have seen the Timken hubs on Amazon for around $100, these are same parts the dealer would sell you. Buy those and know you are getting a quality OEM part made in the USA by Americans.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by barfan1
Buy those and know you are getting a quality OEM part made in the USA by Americans.
You know, whenever I see a statement like that, I have to laugh. Many of the OEM parts of the HHR aren't made in the U.S. Either it's a quality part or it isn't....doesn't matter where or by who (whom?) it's made. You are aware of where the HHR itself is made?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:43 PM

If you want the Timken hubs from a reliable source, try Rock Auto (rockauto.com) $108 + shipping. Here's a Rock discount code of 5% (70481111095699, good til Nov 27th), it'll save enough to pay about half the shipping. They ship fast and have an easy return policy. I buy very few parts from local sources anymore.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Off topic.... db/sb that bug drives me crazy. I try to shoo it away almost every time I see it, lol!

Quick Reply: How to tell if I have ABS...wheel bearing