General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How will this sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 07:49 AM

How will this sound

Hey guys I saw this at cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2184822 and I wanted to do it in my LS They installed a 10" sony sub were the stock sub goes. How do you guys think the sound quality would be like? Will they be alot of rattle noise and can it be fixed? This looks very nice and takes none of your trunk space thats why I want to do it.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Banned

Your going to have to build a custom box to keep it from sounding like s**t. You cant just cut a hole and stick in a sub. The sound quality is going to depend on the sub and box. Rattle can always be taken care of with foam fill and Dynamat. With the LS your not going to have the factory sub box like the LTs with premium sound. While I'm at it does anyone know the internal volume of the factory 8" sub box? I want to replace my premium factory speakers but dont want to replace with the whole system right now. I want to make sure I get a sub that matched to the box of course.

Last edited by captain howdy; 12-02-2005 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:38 AM

Can a custom box fit in their does anybody know the dimensions of the inside. if you replace your sub can you take pictures to see how much space I have to work with. I have two 12'' but they take to much space.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Banned

I'm going to replace all of speakers within a month or so. I'll take pictures of the install. I haven't taken the interior panels off yet so I dont know how much room we have to play with. I'll have take the rear drivers side panel off before I buy speakers if no one can answer my internal volume question so I can measure the factory sub box.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:50 AM

judging by size, i believe it to be around .15 to .25 cubic feet
Old 12-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

That's what I was guessing, around .20 - .25 cubic feet. But I still haven't seen the shape of the box or anything yet. I guess I should stop being lazy and pull my panel.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:01 PM

The side panel mounting has a few concerns; 1) it does take siginficant reinforcement to prevent rattles. This can be done with 5/8" MDF affixed to the back side of the panel. 2) If you munt a 10" in the side (as this picture shows), you will lose the ability to mount your package shelf in the top position. Finally; 3) the small size of the side panel area will prevent you from getting any really "deep" bass.

It also depends on what "type" of sound you are looking for. I own a recording studio and am in constant need of tight "accurate" bass to hear how a project is sounding. For this type of sound a sealed (unported), box works best. If you want that "slammin" big boomy bass that is so popular right now, the side panel mouning is not your answer. Best to bite the bullet and buy a 2-12" bandpass box and amp to fit the rear cargo area. Downside = takes up a lot of space. Upside = can be easily removed (unplug), if you need to haul something, and WILL provide BIG bass.

Hope this helps in your decision,
Old 12-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Banned

My dream is 4 Kicker L7s in the back but the probability of it happening any time soon is almost none. Thats why I'm shooting for practical and affordable for now. I know I wont be satisfied but at least it will sound better than the regular premium system.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:28 PM

I looked at the pictures and what got me concerned was the space around the speaker. After viewing Socal's door pannel install he had to put insulation around to prevent rattleing noise. Based on the quality of the pannels. I would belive there would be the same issue underneath. This is just an educated guess.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:05 PM

The stock sub is in a roto-molded plastic enclosure. Most car audio shops can easily build you a fiberglass enclosure to fit this area. Then you shouldn't have any rattle/vibration problems. I spoke to the guys at Xtreme Pro Sounds (Who did my door speaker install), and they said "no problem" about building one.

Check with your local shop - most can tackle this without difficulty.

Hope it helps,

Quick Reply: How will this sound