General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

"i"

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:14 AM

"i"

Have an 08 2.2, I haven't been able to figure out what the "I" position on the shifter does? (I have read the manual and still have questions). It feels like shifting down to 2nd, but different (probably just me). And if it is 2nd, why call it "I"?

Also noticed that some HHR's use the parking lites for running lites, while mine uses the headlites? Different years?

As I was washing her the other day, and she sat shining in the rare sun here in the Pacific NW, it occurred to me that it will always be a new car. It's styling is classic, it's design never changed, and they don't make them anymore. I think it's one of the few cars that will never look outdated, maybe because it was designed to look outdated.

The other thing I like, is that it doesn't look like all the same shape inverted bathtubs out there. It's distinctive and different, always feel I should wave at all the ones going by. You can see them coming from a long ways away.

Don't know how many were ever made, but it seems they may become rare in a few years? When we bought ours off the lot in 08, there was a lot of demand and had to wait for enuff of them to be delivered to the dealer so we could pick one, we had to move quick. Had to replace our 96 Corsica which had fallen apart.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:13 PM

"I" gear is for intermediate...Its mostly designed to help you slow down coming down steep hills (so you dont over heat your brakes) and if you pull a trailer it will help you(and the tranny) by staying in a lower gear. Some people like the feel of it when driving around. It puts you back in your seat a little quicker.

It depends on if you have fog lights on (if you have them) with the parking lights. If you see a HHR with out fogs with the amber lights on, chances are they manually shut off the headlights.

on the looks, I feel a lot like you do...Plus the design is different, but not over the top different like the nissan cube. In case you didn't know its supposed to look like a '49 suburban, google it in images and you'll see what I mean.

Enough of them were produced that they will never be "rare"...I mean even the SS has something like 8,000-10,000 units produced. Even the SS shouldn't be that rare, but I dont see very many of them.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

My understanding on the lights, is that it's a year model thing. The early ones(2006) had the ambers for daytime operation. The later ones (2007? and up) went to the DRL headlights.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
My understanding on the lights, is that it's a year model thing. The early ones(2006) had the ambers for daytime operation. The later ones (2007? and up) went to the DRL headlights.
And I think I heard Canadian models use the amber. My 2011 uses both for DRL, I'm guessing to make it easier to Euro modify.

I basically turns Overdrive off. It might limit the gears to 1-2, or 1-2-3 I'm not sure which. It also changes the shifting Al-Gore-ithm
Old 12-08-2013, 04:59 AM
Deceased

I gear is for AWESOME
it is 1st thru 3rd and can be driven to top speed
also great for towing
in town it puts you around 2600 rpms at the lowest andpretty much keeps you in the power band
great passing gear and great for going around curves
great for hills and mountain driving and keeping you in the power zone

you will use more gas and get poorer mpgs
but
that is what fun is all about
Old 12-08-2013, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by cj krause
it is 1st thru 3rd and can be driven to top speed
So, it won't shift into 4th? Thought I read somewhere that "I" will bypass the speed limiter for top speed... or am I wrong?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Deceased

nope
no overdrive
but I is like the old D and D is OD
Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 AM

Thanks CJ, I know there's been a LOT on this subject but if the danged OM covered this in more detail people wouldn't be so confused.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Deceased

yep
I gear is awesome
best kept secret on the HHR
Old 12-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Administrator

2007 LT and my DRL's are the head lights, no the amber turn signals, just a Canadian confirming for you the DRL's
as for the styling , yes it still gets the looks and questions what is that, I like it. a lot!

Quick Reply: "i"