General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

I live in ..

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM
geg

I live in ..

Hi, guys.
I remembered the old idea that you support.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?p=605747&highlight=kazan#post605747

Today, pre-holiday morning, a couple of hours of idleness. And so I begin.

I live in Ekaterinburg. I was born in this city, in my younger years I tried to live in other places, but always returned to their homeland.

Ekaterinburg is the capital of a large and rich land - Urals. The Ural Mountains divide the continent into two parts, Europe and Asia. So I live in the middle of the Old World. Ekaterinburg is a big industrial and cultural center, the population of 1.5 million people and the same number of visitors. The third largest city in Russia after Moscow and Sankt-Petersburg.

A little history:
Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Deceased

I'll chime in here, I live in Kannapolis North Carolina, known as K-Town or Towel City to the locals. Its a small city founded around the now defunct Cannon Mills in the early Twentieth Century. We're the 20th largest city in North Carolina and the home of the Earnhardt racing family.

Born and raised here in a section of the city called "Car Town" because the streets are either named after brands of cars or types of cars like "Coach" and "Sedan", I'm proud to call Kannapolis my home after spending a few years in New York, Pennsylvania, and Maine.

Here's a nice little Wikipedia entry on our fair city......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kannapolis,_North_Carolina

The Earnhardt Memorial in Cannon Village, the heart of Kannapolis.

[
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 PM
geg

In the 18th century, Russia has already had a vast territory. But people have lived only in the European part of the country. The huge space in the east was inhabited only mosquitoes and bears. And of course the wild tribes of Mongoloid. Looks like your wild west, but cold forests and swamp instead of the prairies.
At the beginning of the century, during the Swedish - Russian war, Tsar Peter was faced with a problem. The fact that Russia did not produce iron at the time, all the metal bought in Sweden.
Naturally, the Swedes stopped deliveries. The Russian army was left without Artillery, and blades.
Peter decided to - to master a rich Ural (lots of iron and copper ore) and the start of production of its own weapons. The war was halted, experts immediately went to the Urals.
In the short time it was built many public enterprises. Of course, private enterprise, too - The famous Demidov at the time was the King of the Industrial Urals.
In 1721 Vasily Tatishchev (emissary of King Peter, sent to the Urals as the Manager) built another plant on the Iset River.

After some time of Queen Catherine's Greatest permission to plant received the name "The Catherine plant." In honor of St. Catherine.
At the old engraving The Catherine plant looks like this:

This little plant - the founder of modern Ekaterinburg, the main city of the Urals and Western Siberia. Today, this place looks like this:
Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 AM
geg

Ekaterinburg has always been the Forge of Russian arms. In those terrible years of the Ural factories producing tanks and guns, bullets and shells. Millions of tons of iron and armor sent to the front to push the Nazi soldiers. Who did this? Women and children! The town was nearly empty of guys, all men dressed in uniform and took up arms.

I want to mention the Urals Volunteer Tank Corps. The workers of the Ural metallurgical enterprises went to destroy the Germans. These guys built the tanks with their own hands, in these tanks they have come a long way to come to Berlin.

The Germans gave them the nickname "Schwarzen Messer" - black knives. Because the Ural guys have special knives with black blades. Even the SS tried to stay away from our guys.

This is a monument of Urals Volunteer Tank Corps. Railway Station Square of Ekaterinburg.

Today in Ekaterinburg is a biker club "Black Knives." The guys honor the memory of the old warriors, consider themselves descendants of the intelligence of the Urals Volunteer Tank Corps. (The intelligence moved on motorcycles in front of tanks)
http://www.black-knives.ru/index/ru/...y,/2011/Open,0
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Deceased

Sadly no royal origins to my city, just a place for the workers to live while working in the massive Cannon textile mills, towels and sheets for the world....until the mill closed.

Everything is gone now, replaced by a medical research campus that stands mostly empty due to a flagging economy.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2012, 02:04 AM
geg

Modern Ekaterinburg.
As I said - a great and beautiful city. Rich in cultural and social life. Many celebrities were born here. At least President Yeltsin.
Here are a few sights, just the first available.

Night Ekaterinburg

Mayor of Ekaterinburg (not a good picture). On the Square "1905", the center of Yekaterinburg.

Under the Christmas on the Square "1905" build an ice town for children. Fun attractions and sweet, very nice.

This "historic park" or "Plotinka." The territory of the old "Catherine's factory" - now do not make guns, a place for walking.

Little Chapel (can not remember the name). This reconstruction. The old building of the Bolsheviks destroyed in the early 20th century.

If we talk about Ekaterinburg churches - here's another one. Built in the 19th century, during the Soviet period were located in the building of various objects (such as a warehouse). When I was a kid, this building housed motoring clubs. Now, again, an Orthodox church. The dome is built anew, brick walls - original.

Of course - Church on Spilled Blood. Built on the site of the martyrdom of the last Russian tsar and his family.

This is my Hippo. At the same place, but the winter and day.

Another historic building. Manor which is merchant, I do not remember the name. 19th century. When I was a kid, housed in the estate, "House of Pioneers." I regularly visited the art room in this building, I learn to draw.
In our time, has not changed, only the name - "House of Children's Creativity." Various clubs and workshops for children.

skyscrapers in Ekaterinburg

The Ekaterinburg Opera (Very good. Not La Scala, but no worse than New York.)

Ural Federal University, goes to school here my son.
You can see it across the street from the Opera.
In general in Yekaterinburg dozens of universities. Urals Federal - the most winning.

The monument to the founding fathers of the city - Gentlemens Tatishchev and De Genin. A very pompous, but not very artistic. The people at once gave him a nickname - "Beavis and Butthead."

The old building of Ekaterinburg station. More Effective in our time. Of course, not the main building now. But it saved as a historic building and museum.

That's quite a little tour of my town.
If fate would anyone of you to the Urals, you will meet the tough but hospitable people. Of course I also will be very happy.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:09 AM
geg

Originally Posted by 843de
Sadly no royal origins to my city, just a place for the workers to live while working in the massive Cannon textile mills, towels and sheets for the world....until the mill closed.

Everything is gone now, replaced by a medical research campus that stands mostly empty due to a flagging economy.
And it's cool ..
Our ancestors' hands to the elbows in a coal crumb, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Both of our town came from the factory, smell of fire and metal.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 AM

Well, I'm from Detroit.

I'll bet everyone knows the history of Detroit. And yes, the former mayor is literally a criminal.

Future of Detroit? Beats me. I'm betting total collapse before long.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 AM

Until I was 6, I lived in a very small town in eastern GA called Warrenton. Population of about 3K (maybe). No real history, and my father lived there until he died back in 2009.

From there I lived in Elberton GA, the granite capital of the world, at least at that time (early 70's).

From there we moved to Warner Robins GA, Robins AFB keeps that city alive IMO. After high school and a year of college I had to leave so I raise my right hand and joined the AF. Lived and traveled all over the world for the next 21 years. Retired and start my next career. Low and behold after 4 years in my new job, I get transferred back to GA (Atlanta area). SO after 25 years and a few trips around the globe, I came back home....

But I've seen lot's of historical sights, some good, some bad. In Korea I've seen what is marked as "the hanging tree". Where soldiers were hung during the Korean war. In the middle east, I've seen the "tree of life". 2 tree's with a totally different meaning.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 AM

Born in California, on now closed George AFB, moved to Cincinnati where I've pretty much lived my entire life, sans 18mo in CT and 12mo in FL. Ah, Cincinnati, where the weather will change in 5 min, a "3 way" and "cornhole" aren't at all what you expect, where Flying Pigs have a marathon (this past weekend), where cheap beer was king (Hudy Delight and Burger are back!) and home of the Cincinnati Reds. Everything is backwards here, but I cannot think of a better place to live.

Union Terminal was the inspiration for the Hall of Justice (nerds unite!). We currently hold the record for the worlds largest Chicken Dance and one of the largest Oktoberfest's in the world.

'nati 4 life!

Quick Reply: I live in ..