General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Installed the Rear Anti-Sway bar tonight

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
When I installed mine I didn't have a torque wrench, so I just put lock-tite on the bolts and tightened them as much as I could. I figured you can't make them any tighter than tight! What exactly is the need to use a torque wrench in this instance anyway.
I would venture to guess that the reason for the torque wrench is so that the bolts are all tightened exactly the same. Having one tightened more than another could affect the handling and that's the reason for the sway bar in the first place. A torque wrench is a great, relatively inexpensive tool to purchase and comes in handy for a myriad of things...especially when you're pulling your wheels and tires off. You want them balanced as evenly as possible too so you get the best wear and ride as well.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:34 PM

Well, I see your point Deb, but since I tightened them all as much as I could I don't figure there can be that much difference between them. As far as having other uses for a torque wrench, in my case at least, I'm long past the age where I'm inclined to do any mechanical work on the car myself. I wouldn't even mess with the wheels unless I had a flat. The dealer, or tire store, does any tire rotating these days.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Shame on you nfboy...you need to get out there and pop that baby on. I noticed we haven't seen bigallis today...must be out there enjoying his new sway bar.
I bought mine around Xmas. I had many excuses for not installing:

too cold
too much snow
no way to get the ass of the car in the air
no torque wrench

Well all my excuses have been gone for a while now. I bought a hydraulic jack, axel stands and a torque wrench sometime ago. It is warm now and no snow. Flies yes but no snow. So after borrowing some ramps from my father and after the embarassment of actually admitting here that I had not installed, well I just finished putting it on. Simple install. Took 20 minutes.

Have not test drove yet. That will be tomorrow.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:28 PM

Did you end up just backing it up some Rhino Ramps or something like that?

Goose
Old 06-10-2007, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by bigallis1
Sorry I forgot to mention the details of the install process.
The install was very easy in my opinion. Took about an hour total.
Unfortunately as I was just finishing up, it got real dark and started to rain.
I decided to wait until tomorrow to do the test run. I will post my results.
Got to take the HHR out for a test drive w/anti-sway bar installed.
I did not do any aggressive manouvers (mrs. bigallis1 with me) but what I did do I could tell some difference. Will report more when I can do some aggressive manouvers.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Goose
Did you end up just backing it up some Rhino Ramps or something like that?

Goose
Yes I did. That gave me plenty of room to manouver around and get something under there with me to balance the bar on while getting the first side bolted on.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:23 PM

I went to my dad's house to get my old trusty metal ramp. He had just given them to a friend of his.

So That6s what I get for not using them for a few years......
Bought some plastic ones at ADAP or Auto Zone or what ever the low end parts store is these days. They worked fine. I just could not fit beneath the car to put the Antisway bar on like some folks can I've gone a few cheeseburgers to far
Anyway, a short easy job putting the swaybar on. A BIG difference in handling! I felt safer immediately.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:26 AM

Nice pic of the Rhino Ramps...that doesn't look like a CT plate to me.....is that a MA plate?

I have the gray Rhino Ramps...I bought them at Walmart a couple of years ago before the price of them went crazy

This sway bar must be popular...I just placed my order with Brad at neverenoughauto and he said that they were out of stock...would probably be getting some in a few weeks. Fine with me as I'll be traveling for a bit anyways and would not have time to install it. Placed the order and look forward to installing it when I get some time

Goose
Old 09-14-2007, 11:37 PM

I think I'll try the ramp idea, because what I found after wrestling with my recently delivered Progress bar is that the holes don't quite line up after I have 3 bolts in. They are not truly off but they do require precision in getting the angle of the bolt correct enough to thread onto the hidden nut of the inside plate. I was trying the jack stand method in the enclosed instructions and that made the springs droop too much. When I let the HHr rest on the floor thus easy the tension I could NOT get the 4th nut on. I've got the ramps so I'll try that. If that fails I have a friend who has a full lift in his home garage like that shown in Socal Mike's pics. So far this has been a RPITA job...so a word of warning to those who have not done it yet that, the folks who haven't been troubled with the install must have had a lot "Shop luck" going on.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 PM
jx3

My SB arrived earlier this week, hopefully it will be installed over the weekend.

Quick Reply: Installed the Rear Anti-Sway bar tonight