General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Keyless FOB

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 PM

Keyless FOB

The FOB I was using worked fine but that one went out so now I am using the spare. Whenever I try to auto start my HHR it just honks three times. Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

welcome to the site, rickh68. I did the same thing you did when mine quit, got another one. There are ways to fix them, when I run out of spares I'll try one. Good luck
Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 PM
Deceased

Well I'll start with the obvious, do you have a good battery in the second remote, a low battery will cause them to act "weird"...so swap the battery with the one that was working and see if it resolves the problem.

P.S. to the forum rickh68!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 AM

There are at least two threads on here about key fobs.

What usually happens with them is the spring thing that holds the battery breaks loose from the PC board that it sits on.

Its not really hard to solder it back together.

The other thing is dirt migrates between the membrane board and the little dots of carbon on the other side of the PC board.

That is a much easier fix. You just need to clean it. An ink pen eraser can be used to burnish the contact pads if they are really dirty.

One of mine it went through the laundry both wash and dry. I kinda figured it was toast but after drying it out 'a good one' and cleaning the contact pads with rubbing alcohol it 'got better'.

Eventually the battery did die but I found replacement batteries at the dollar tree three for a buck. They last just as long as the ones the dealer wanted $16.45 for.

I have also re-soldered the battery clip on that one now.

Works fine again.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 PM

Thanks. I will try another battery.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Banned

Welcome!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by rickh68
Thanks. I will try another battery.
Be very careful. Do not pull the battery out push it out, and in. Do Not put any upward pressure on the cage!!!!!! or it will break loose and need a re soldering. You need to remove the circuit board from the holder & from the silicon key pad, then push the old battery out, new in.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:46 PM

A few years ago my wife and I went to a bigger town to do some Christmas shopping. When we parked in the mall lot there was a young woman with her kids frantically milling around her car.

She asked if I had a cell phone so she could call a locksmith to open her car. She had the keys in her hand so I asked why she didn't just unlock the door and get in.

She said the battery in her key fob had died and was going on about how it had not been working right for some time.

I asked to see the keys, unlocked the door with the key and offered to go buy her a battery in the mall.

She really had not thought of just buying a new battery or just using the key to unlock the door.

Progress?

Toooooo much dependance on technology?

Maybe.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
A few years ago my wife and I went to a bigger town to do some Christmas shopping. When we parked in the mall lot there was a young woman with her kids frantically milling around her car.

She asked if I had a cell phone so she could call a locksmith to open her car. She had the keys in her hand so I asked why she didn't just unlock the door and get in.

She said the battery in her key fob had died and was going on about how it had not been working right for some time.

I asked to see the keys, unlocked the door with the key and offered to go buy her a battery in the mall.

She really had not thought of just buying a new battery or just using the key to unlock the door.

Progress?

Maybe.
I hate to say this, but was she blonde?

How red was her face when you used the key that was made to open the door?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man

Progress?

Maybe.