General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

LED Headlights & LED SS Fog - Nice improvement

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 08:55 AM

LED Headlights & LED SS Fog - Nice improvement

Like everything electronics... newer generations improve.

Everyone that had interest has probably tried LED... some good, some poor performers.
The previous generation of LED H13 Headlights with harness, plug in module and large fan (often noisy) were a nice improvement over older bulbs.
I've tried some that were poor light fields, no improvements over OEM bulbs and a few that lasted barely 4-6 months in various vehicles.

If you're looking for a good quality, bright LED... these 2 are probably towards the top of the list.
In my experiments... the Auxito brand seems to market nice items with an easy to apply 1-2 year warranty.
I've recently noticed some of their newer offerings... the H11 LED fogs that fit the SS fog lights are a huge improvement.
Their new H13 LED headlight is another big improvement... it's a fully self contained unit similar to a OEM Halogen bulb.
Cooling & electronics contained within the socket and rated at 30W/6,000 LM in an aluminum casing... indicated as 200% brighter than OEM.
The part I liked was the brighter 6500K color for both Headlight & Fog, gives 1 color cast on ground and to my eyes a cleaner brighter light compared to the 5000-5500K

On a scale of price... for LED's these are on the pricey side compared to several on eBay.
H13 / 9008 Hi/Low
https://auxito.com/products/dd-m3-90...SABEgKPTfD_BwE

​​​​​​H11/H8/H16 Fog Lights
https://auxito.com/collections/fog-l...1-80w-black-w2

Newer LED style:
Cat not included... he's just a camera Ham!

Older LED style... with multiple connections.

Old 02-23-2020, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Nice set up! Did you have to time them ? The LED’s facing 3 and 9 o’clock?, it gives much better light pattern and no high beam flashes from oncoming cars.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:38 PM

I just put those same H11 LED bulbs in my SS fog lights. Work pretty good
Old 02-24-2020, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Nice set up! Did you have to time them ? The LED’s facing 3 and 9 o’clock?, it gives much better light pattern and no high beam flashes from oncoming cars.
Good question.
I like what you added about oncoming traffic.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:41 PM

I wouldn't neglect checking or re-aim any headlight... stock or LED... Using the 3-25 procedure... 3' mark then 25' alignment.
I normally place the Left slightly lower than Right, mainly due to most new light asmb no longer have Horizontal adj.
Regarding the LED electronics... these are ZES LED's (improvement over CREE) and contain electronics to manage & stabilize current, minimize interference... for the majority.

So far, in the minimal driving with the lights, haven't experienced on-comming traffic flipping their beams at me.
From the Driver's Seat... Low beams with Fog On... puts out a very impressive light cast. The Fogs project a very nice low wide light cast and joins the headlight cast.

These are 2 sided LED's, and as indicated within their advertisement the ZES LED's are in 1:1 alignment with Halogen's Element... which greatly improves the reflection within the reflector & maintaining a good even pattern of light cast. I noticed the LED's are staggered, not in a row, resulting in concentrated light in center similar to a Haolgen elements. On comparison in Alignment; several LED's will have the end LED close to element end but the lower LED is not within element. Plus, I've had Halogen elements also be slightly off too... so that's not an indication of precise fit. These are NOT moveable LED trim plates, so there isn't any element adjustment other than vertical alignment of beam. Haven't seen adj trim plates in a while, and like the Horizontal Adj, I think that necessity has diminished with improved LED's and preventing vibrations & swelling on the LED plate.

Most LED's I've examined aren't exact 9-3 position, most are slightly tilted... 3:30-9:30... but in experiment of rotating socket, that hasn't changed the position of the LED's depth alignment within the reflectors and pattern doesn't change much until rotated a bit future... 4:30-10:30 estimate; pattern changes more if not the correct depth alignment within reflector.

Like any light... most quality lights will work great in 95% of the light mounts, but some won't depending on design of reflector or the sensitivity of the element depth. If you get a splotchy, irregular pattern, probably NOT the light for your rig. I've tried multiple LED, 1 side, 2 side, 4 side and 2-4 LED's per side. I think 2 side / 2 LED (sections) works best for even pattern and minimal head-on glare looking at the light. I tried 4 side 3 LED per side and it's a bright eye sore halo, poor range, poor pattern... not even an off-road worthy light. Several LED's will project a small halo... dark spot in center down range but not visible in 25' test. Also keep in mind as we change out blurry old headlight lenses, some new units are very loose in bulb mount specifications and can result in poor pattern too. On the subject of Light Lenses... I think I recently read somewhere that a old blurry lens can lower light projection up to 60%.
These HHR's huge curved lenses seem to get destroyed pretty rapidly... and they're a PITA to remove the bumper cover and not damage the small aging brittle clip tangs

Old 02-24-2020, 03:49 PM
Administrator

I just asked, because some two sided LED’s come timed upside down, that would have nothing to do with the 3”-25’ adjustments.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:00 PM

I just asked, because some two sided LED’s come timed upside down, that would have nothing to do with the 3”-25’ adjustments.
Share a URL that references IC circuit activation as Timming.

Sounds more like a Chineese Junk Light.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Ok, then

https://jdmastarblog.com/2017/07/21/...ed-headlights/

just for the record pretty much all of these bulbs are made in China, including the ones you posted a link for,
https://auxito.com/pages/about-us

And Timming , must be an American phrase for going to Tim Horton’s for a double double and a donut.

These are the H13 four sided LED headlights I run , I’m happy with them , great quality product, not to expensive and where plug and play, but are adjustable if required

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32702126246.html
Yes, also made in China
Old 02-24-2020, 06:21 PM

Ok, then

https://jdmastarblog.com/2017/07/21/...ed-headlights/

just for the record pretty much all of these bulbs are made in China.

And Timming , must be an American phrase for going to Tim Horton’s for a double double and a donut.
@OldBlue, thanks!
Nice reference, I've read that prior, in a much longer more detailed explanation... esentially states & expands on my brief dialogue... although they do reference an adj collar. I wasn't aware those existed or had market value.

Within all that... on your timing question, how is one to change or adjust a bulb with sealed enclosed circuitry providing a 3 prong connection socket? Timing... goes along with Snipe hunting or VW Bug Antifreeze level.

Appreciate the Chineese reference, but to add on that... you can have Chineese made meeting technical specifications of design and you can have Chineese Junk... separate states of quality... I indicated the latter.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:08 PM
Administrator

If your bulbs are not adjustable, that ok, as to country of manufactured parts, that’s a subject that like a dead horse , beaten and beaten.
I was simply asking for clarification about timing the 3/9 thing. Glad you like them , and they are satisfactory.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights & LED SS Fog - Nice improvement