General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Losing oil through exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 06:03 PM

As a title says, I am losing oil through my exhaust. 1quart in last 1500 miles. The car is 2010 hhr ss with 110k miles and bunch of bolt ons. Doesn't smoke when cold or hot.Already checked the spark plugs. They are good. Removed the piping from intake side of turbo (zfr6758). Nothing wrong there. Turbo shaft has play. Not enough to touch the housing. But it also does have in and out play. Maybe 1/16 of an inch. Also checked the o2 sensor. Surprisingly there's no oil on it. So is it a turbo, or should I check something else before removing it.

Last edited by Oldblue; 11-06-2018 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Housekeeping
Old 11-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Administrator

RJ had a similar issue recently, I’m sure he’ll chime in soon.
I’m pretty sure it was his intake valve seals and or the PCV system where he installed a catch can
Old 11-06-2018, 07:16 PM

I put in a good used turbo, no change in oil consumption. Then I replaced the valve guide seals, some improvement. Then I soaked the combustion chambers(for oil control rings), some more improvement. I still have not completely eliminated the oil consumption.

But if you have play in the shaft, I would think your turbo is bad.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:47 PM

I called local turbo rebuild shop. Unfortunately they can't test it on the car. I will have to remove it. Just thought maybe there's something else I can theck before removing it. Looked around that area. Really doesn't look too difficult. Removing down pipe with o2 housing would give me easy access to turbo. Than it is oil and coolant lines, and the thing should be free to come out.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
I put in a good used turbo, no change in oil consumption. Then I replaced the valve guide seals, some improvement. Then I soaked the combustion chambers(for oil control rings), some more improvement. I still have not completely eliminated the oil consumption.

But if you have play in the shaft, I would think your turbo is bad.
why did you replace your turbo? Did it have any play in it? Stock or aftermarket?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ohiocruiser
why did you replace your turbo? Did it have any play in it? Stock or aftermarket?
No play, I had one laying around, it was a good suspect, so I gave it a try.

Make sure you soak the nuts to the exhaust manifold good. One really gave me a time. Ended up galling the stud real bad, had to take the manifold off and take it to a muffler shop to remove the stud.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
No play, I had one laying around, it was a good suspect, so I gave it a try.

Make sure you soak the nuts to the exhaust manifold good. One really gave me a time. Ended up galling the stud real bad, had to take the manifold off and take it to a muffler shop to remove the stud.
yes I will use some penetrating oil. But this turbo is only 6 month old. Shouldn't give me any trouble.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:46 PM

also,while looking around I noticed that oil line is touching the exhaust manifold. You can see that black insulation that covers oil line actually changed color to white. Is it possible that once I shut the car, the oil in that spot would burn inside the line? That would explain early departure of the turbo.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:44 AM
Technical Moderator

Is that the oil cap? You need a new one. That is a possible point for oil vapor to escape.

If it is the pressure cap you need a new one.

Last edited by donbrew; 11-07-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Is that the oil cap? You need a new one. That is a possible point for oil vapor to escape.

If it is the pressure cap you need a new one.
yes.it is original oil cap. Thanks for pointing it out. I should replace it. But I doubt that bad oil cap can somehow make the oil ti go through exhaust

Quick Reply: Losing oil through exhaust