General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Lower seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 05:03 AM

Lower seats

Has anyone lowered the seats in their HHR? Are there any seats that are lower? SS? I am 5'10 and find myself looking out the top 3 inches of the windshield. Less than 2" head clearance to the sunroof. How do taller drivers manage? It's going to be hard to chop the top.
After a quick look, the raised floor might make this difficult. My seats are leather, in nice shape, so I prefer to keep them. Seats are manual and I don't see a way to adjust them lower, (Without cut and weld.)
Old 03-05-2021, 06:30 AM
Platinum Member

Lowered the rear of my drivers seat about 1.5 inches. Made a custom bracket out of some L bar that I bent. Cut out the original drivers side of the seatbar and replaced it with the custom bracket.
Here's one pic. There are some other pics in my gallery of that mod in progress.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:44 AM
Administrator

I’m 6,5” and just recline my seat back a click or 2 and adjust my seat bottom down. Mind you , I drive a 2LT without the sunroof, but I have driven SS’s with sunroof and I still have headroom.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

With a sun roof you lose an inch or 2 of head room. I wear a ball cap about 99 percent of the time, so that's another 2 inches or so. Those 2 factors combined was the reason I decided to lower my seat.
At 5'10'" I didn't have any problems with my head/ball cap touching the headliner with the stock seat height but it was darn close. Decided to lower the seat many years ago. I really like the lower position so much more than stock height.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:23 PM

6’5” ish here, must be more torso than legs because my non-sunroof HHR’s have been fine but with sunroof, gotta slouch. Is there such a thing as a 2010 SS 5-sp PP w/ no sunroof? Wanna trade?

I will eventually get around to lowering both front seats.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

All 2010 year model SS's came with the sunroof. It was standard equipment for the last year of the SS.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Hannibal, get the torches!!

Old 03-06-2021, 06:59 AM

lower seats

Lowered the rear of my drivers seat about 1.5 inches. Made a custom bracket out of some L bar that I bent. Cut out the original drivers side of the seatbar and replaced it with the custom bracket.
Here's one pic. There are some other pics in my gallery of that mod in progress.
Thank you for the Bracket image. I like the idea. I think I can get 1" out of the front frame, combined with this bracket should get what I want. Looks like you had to modify the outer interior panel. Also looks like the console was removed.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Trimmed the outer interior panel (both sides) for easier access to the bolts. Yes, the console needs to be removed for access to the nuts/studs under it where the seat bar bolts down.
Not sure how you plan to get an inch out of the front frame. The "hooks" on the front bracket can't be put any lower. The only way would be to cut out some of the floor frame and reweld it lower. Don't think that would be advisable since it is part of the floor pan frame and structural integrity may be affected.
FYI. If you do lower just the back part, those 'hooks" have to be ground down some to let the seat lean back to the new, lower position.
Had the seat in and out at least a dozen times while test fitting and making adjustments.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:26 PM

Lowered seats

I dug in and pulled the seats out today. The Technical section seems like a better place to put the details of the modifications. I will post my progress there.

Quick Reply: Lower seats