General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Made in Mexico

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 PM

Made in Mexico

There is a thread on this board giving the “birth dates” of your HHRs. This brings up the question of the birthplace:

Are tours available at the Ramos Arizpe, Mexico factory? If so has anyone on this board been there? How popular are HHRs on Mexico’s streets?

According to Wikipedia the area is a major manufacturing community: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramos_Arizpe

Oh, one more thing – are the vehicles trucked or shipped north to the states?

It’s been over thirty years since I was in Mexico, Baja actually – what’s the availability of unleaded gas down south now days?
Old 02-05-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
There is a thread on this board giving the “birth dates” of your HHRs. This brings up the question of the birthplace:

Are tours available at the Ramos Arizpe, Mexico factory? If so has anyone on this board been there? How popular are HHRs on Mexico’s streets?

According to Wikipedia the area is a major manufacturing community: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramos_Arizpe

Oh, one more thing – are the vehicles trucked or shipped north to the states?

It’s been over thirty years since I was in Mexico, Baja actually – what’s the availability of unleaded gas down south now days?

Don't know about tours but the HHR's for the most are shipped by train. I am sure they may truck some to Texas. Many here have had paint damage form the trains.

You can get unleaded in MEX and the last time I was there it was cheap. Quality may vary and you might get kidnaped in some areas but they have unleaded.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

As hyperv6 indicated, most are transported by train DEPENDING ON THE LOCATION OF DEALER.

My car for instance, traveled by train to the west coast of Mexico. Was loaded on a cargo ship and transported to National City, CA where it sat in a customs yard, with other HHR's, for a couple of days. It was then transported by truck to AZ deployment yard and then to the dealer ( I have, courtesy of my dealer, a complete log of my vehicles progression).

I believe the North Eastern States are transported the same method. Canada is probably a completely different animal.

As of, 7/30/08, tours were not given for the Ramos facility ( other info.....the Saturn Vue is also produced at this plant).

And, we have had a few Mexico citizens, on this board. They do not participate much.

My last journey to Cabo and Vallarta and Mazatlan...I saw two HHR's.

Disclaimer......evrything may have/might have changed since my experience. GM encountered a lot of problems in first year and a half shipments with the Mexican Government and railroads. Given it's present situation other avenues may be explored.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:16 AM

The wife and I took a taxi from Playa del Carmen back to our resort, we rode in a white HHR. Some of the taxis south of the boarder are HHRs.