General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Made in mexico ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Question Made in mexico ??

I really like the forum here and have always been a Chevy fan although my last vehicle, a 99' Tahoe with never ending problems just about killed any desire to buy another Chevy.
Thus far I really like my 2010 HHR but after reading about so many problems with some of these vehicles and at 9,000 miles already hearing some occasional odd noises in the front end and in the rear I am having some concern about overall quality and reliability..I read that some of the many common problems found on the 06' models still exist on the 2010 models!!..what's up with that GM??...demonstrates a lack of concern for the product and the customer I think.. I don't know if this issue is due, at least in part to the HHR being manufactured in Mexico or not, I suspect the answer is NO..even if not, shame on GM and any other "American" car company that actually manufacture "american automobiles" in other countries...sadly, it seems to me that the "foreign" brands that are actually made or at least assembled in the USA may more closely fit an accurate description of "american made".
Again, I really do like the HHR and have high hopes that my HHR experience will renew my faith in GM...only time will tell...
Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by gottahaveheart
I really like the forum here and have always been a Chevy fan although my last vehicle, a 99' Tahoe with never ending problems just about killed any desire to buy another Chevy.
Thus far I really like my 2010 HHR but after reading about so many problems with some of these vehicles and at 9,000 miles already hearing some occasional odd noises in the front end and in the rear I am having some concern about overall quality and reliability..I read that some of the many common problems found on the 06' models still exist on the 2010 models!!..what's up with that GM??...demonstrates a lack of concern for the product and the customer I think.. I don't know if this issue is due, at least in part to the HHR being manufactured in Mexico or not, I suspect the answer is NO..even if not, shame on GM and any other "American" car company that actually manufacture "american automobiles" in other countries...sadly, it seems to me that the "foreign" brands that are actually made or at least assembled in the USA may more closely fit an accurate description of "american made".
Again, I really do like the HHR and have high hopes that my HHR experience will renew my faith in GM...only time will tell...
Mexico has nothing to do with the HHR's quality. If anything it may have saved you $2,000.

THe car would have been built here with the same parts the same way even in the states.

Also keep in mind this is a old Delta platform and it had a few pre Chapter !! bugs. But that is not to say they all are bad. For the most the problem HHRs are few in the total number built and is on par with most other MFG.

Other makes like Honda, Toyota and Hyundai all have similar issues and numbers to GM. In fact my buddy works for Hyundai and bought a HHR.

You will read a lot on issues here as this is where people come for help or to complain. The vast majority of us here have been trouble free.

Also note too that some issues are also self inflicted too by the owners.

With well over a half million HHR's on the road there are many more happy trouble free owners vs people with issues. Keep the numbers in mind as it puts it into perspective.

GM s now trying to move jobs back here since the UAW has backed down. THey also are working no new cars that will be clean sheet post chapter 11 cars so it will make for some exciting and well built cars to come.

GM is still working with improved older designs so we will see a bigger jump in quality in the next few years.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:30 AM

We can only hope that GM continues with quality improvements with their line of cars. My 06 HHR has been trouble free for the 75000 miles I've had it. I keep looking for a replacement car in about two years and the HHR will go out of production and there is no replacement I have heard about. The Equinox is over priced and no deals to be had. Since Quinox seem to selling well, The GM dealer have the take it or leave it philosophy. It will be interesting how they will fair as the economy goes back into the dumps.

I'm starting to look at some Korean manufacturer's small SUV..Blastphamy I know, but GM does not have a "small" SUV.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:46 AM
geg

I will not develop the theme of "many problems". The guys have already said it all. Only add: quality - an economic category in these difficult times. By the way, location of production in Mexico (China, Vietnam, Turkey, etc.) does not affect quality. Or the effect is extremely small.
Decline in the quality of cars produced intentionally. Reasons:
1. Sales of new cars decreased from year to year. But automakers Earnings grow. Earnings growth achieved growth in sales of parts. In addition, frequent routine and emergency repairs.
2. Competition intensifies. It is vitally important to update the range as often as possible. Advantageous to put on the market unfinished model, selling and revision to do at once. And you think, why have often cause cars to market?
Old 11-13-2010, 08:29 PM

I´m mexican, and I can explain you better the situation. Mainly, the poor quality of the HHR is in due the place is being made: Ramos Arizpe, in Coahuila. People from this place is a quite hard to describe, probably the american equivalent is like a beaner-redneck. People from here (workers mainly), are... I don´t know how to say... don´t do the things in the correct way... How I know this? Well, I´m a design Engineer that works on a Ramos Arizpe plant (not automotive). Although you explain 9 (yes, nine) times how to assembly a part, the worker won´t follow your instructions...but believe me, the issue is the plant location, not the country. Before I worked at Takata, that makes the seatbelts and airbags for the HHR with better quality... Really there is a lot of difference among locations. There are other reliable cars made in Mexico like:

- Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan & Lincoln MKS made in Hermosillo Sonora.
- Cadillac Escalade, GMC Denally and other trucks made in Silao, Guanajuato,
- Pt crusier made In Toluca...

But to be honest with you, I think that the US quality is better.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:26 PM

Mexican guy says US quality is better. He's also an engineer. Nuff said.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:12 AM

I do appreciate all the input, I fully realize that people do tend to complain about any product much quicker than they will give praise and I know that this probably a big part of the equation..it appears to me that all you guys are knowledgeable about which you speak and I have to say that I do feel more positive about GM and the HHR after reading your comments, as I stated, I really do like my HHR and with the exception of the Tahoe it replaced have always had confidence in GM's products...thanks guys for helping me out here.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gas Man
Mexican guy says US quality is better. He's also an engineer. Nuff said.
I could say the same about Lordstown Ohio GM plant. It is redneck heaven and there are few PHD's there. If you have been to a Browns/Steelers game you would know what I mean. But It means little when you have a assembly line that is pretty much as go no go deal. Thes lines could be anywhere and you would see pretty much the same results.

The Cobalt is built pretty much to the same standards as the HHR and has has many of the same issues. All are mostly due to cost cutting to keep the price low and a old design. GM has pressured suppliers to keep the price cheap and often it resulted in poor quality parts like the steering colums in some vehicles.

I can promise you 98% of the HHR issues would still be there even built here. The intitial quality of the car at the dealer is due to production missing parts or parts bolted on wrong. Few of us have that that kind of issue. Most are due to low quality sway bar links and poor design issues like the seal in the dash that leaks water or sun roof deflectors etc.

Many to most of the parts are built here. The engines from NY and TN even the horn is made here.

While some of the guys on the lines may not be Rhoads Scholars I am sure they can put a car together with little issue with the way the line is set up. Have you seen how the put cars together today? Even the tires have on gun that do all 5 lugs at once to torqued to spec and do not need loaded nuts etc. They don't even have to lift the tires and wheels anymore. Most of the other work is done nearly the same. Heck all the welds now and most of the paint are robots.

It was said for a long time Americans could not build quality cars here. Well they are and Honda and others proved it. Now GM is doing the same with new designs. Today it is not where the car is built but how up to date the design often is.

Note the Aztek and Buick Rendezvous were built there and for the most we never heard of many issues [other than ugly] or recalls with them. Many Hummers were built there too.

Cost cutting to keep the price down is the main root to the many issues. That is changing with the many new models. That is also why you will pay a little more for cars like the Cruze in the future.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by gottahaveheart
I do appreciate all the input, I fully realize that people do tend to complain about any product much quicker than they will give praise and I know that this probably a big part of the equation..it appears to me that all you guys are knowledgeable about which you speak and I have to say that I do feel more positive about GM and the HHR after reading your comments, as I stated, I really do like my HHR and with the exception of the Tahoe it replaced have always had confidence in GM's products...thanks guys for helping me out here.
I can tell you while they may have similar designs the new 2009 Silverado vs the 2002 is night and day. They have made many changes and have really improved the truck. They were built in the same plants and may even had many of the same workers on the job. GM just did a better job in design and quality of parts. I expect the next truck to make similar jumps.

While we can point out many failings at GM few can be directly traced back to the assmebly line. Most started with the engineers and accountants the guys with the Masters degrees.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Deceased

It really wouldn't matter to me if the HHR was made on Mars, there will be quality issues with any product regardless of origin. When you get down to it, many "issues" can be laid at the feet of the bean counters....keeping costs down can affect quality. As far as Mexican assembly, I don't really see a difference from other GM lines assembled here or in Canada.

Quick Reply: Made in mexico ??