General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Need advice; considering buying a used HHR

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:34 AM

Question Need advice; considering buying a used HHR

I have never considered buying used due to putting high mileage on my vehicles. I drive over 50 miles per day round trip to work not to mention the extra miles put on because we live in a rural location. My husband and I have purchased two used chevy trucks for our boys when they turned 16. We have had very good luck with those two purchases. I own an '05 Silverado pickup that is upside down in value and that margin seems to grow daily when I check its value against the purchase of a new HHR.
After some research it seems foolish to buy new when the value drops by thousands after purchase. Maybe the upside-down problem won't be so bad if I purchase a low mileage HHR.
What advice would you give me in my search? Would buying certified be the best approach? Should I avoid the '06 because of the first year model problems? I really want the L2 model if I can find it. I have never had a loaded vehicle. I really appreciate all your help. Thanks in advance.
Tammy
Old 09-09-2007, 08:43 AM

I originally looked for a used one but when they came out with 0% financing I got a new one. The price over 5 years was the same, except I am giving GM money for the car instead of giving the bank money for interest. The money I save on gas pays the difference in insurance from my clunker I traded in. I drive 40 km 1 way to work.

Jim
Old 09-09-2007, 09:44 AM

Buying used has a cost advantage, but could also lead to future problems.
I bought my used cars from GM dealers who had "Optimum Warranty Plans" on the vehicles to get balance of factory warranty and the "150 point check" on each vehicle before it is put on the lot.
I felt it was worth it to buy from them instead of an independant or non-GM dealer

Clare
Old 09-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned

I bought used. The $8000-$10,000 I save more then makes up for any issues and as well will more then pay for an extended Warranty if I should choose to get one.

I bought a used loaded to the gills 2LT for $14,000 Out the door.
The MSRP was $24,125 I have the sticker. It has 11k miles on it.

I cannot imagine taking that kind of depreciation hit in a year. The previous owner had the car for 13 months!!!!

I did buy it from a Dodge dealer.You can get any car for less if you don't buy at the Moniker dealer. Non certified but I can buy a very discounted GM warranty from a dealer that sells them to the guys in the corvette forum.As well I have 10k miles to make that decision. (after 25k the Ew GOES UP)

I cannot see ANY disadvantage to having bought this car used. Not one.

Even if I pay $900 for the GM warranty Im still way way ahead.

As a rule buy heavily depreciating cars used. You get a lot of car for the money/.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:57 AM

I bought an 07 2lt used with 5500 mi leather, sunroof, side air bags had everything I wanted except running boards. It would have listed for 24,000. Since it's an 07 still get the full warrenty. Has been great so far didn't mind it was used. Payment and insurance is less than the 2001 solara I had before the hhr.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by cc732
Buying used has a cost advantage, but could also lead to future problems.
I bought my used cars from GM dealers who had "Optimum Warranty Plans" on the vehicles to get balance of factory warranty and the "150 point check" on each vehicle before it is put on the lot.
I felt it was worth it to buy from them instead of an independant or non-GM dealer

Clare
same here we got our hhr at a dodge dealership on the used lot. as doing all the wheeling and dealing...we decided to go for the extra warr. that was offered. still had the remaining 3yr/36,000 warr. but we said...well for only $500.00 down payment and our credit that we are trying to rebuild....what the heck...i've already had to take the car once to the dealership to get the pass. air back light fixed and what not. other than that...take care of your car and it'll last a long long time, with or without warranty.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:47 PM

Make sure to get a carfax report from the dealer. Many HHRs have been in rental fleets.

Otherwise, I say go for it. We have two 06's, and have litlle problems with them. Very reliable.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:08 PM

Used car loans usually have a higher interest rate. However, if you purchase even an '06 from a Chevy dealer, you get the 5 year warranty. Those of us who purchased an '06 new don't.

I grew up with used cars. My dad work days and mom work nights so the one car was driven about 70 miles a day. I spent many hours helping my dad repair them in all kinds of weather. Therefore, I prefer to buy new and let the dealer fix the problems.