General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

new guy again

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 PM

new guy again

so I took the key out of the ing. and put it in console, shut the door and all doors are locked. I only got one key and no key fob. Any ideas??
Old 10-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Deceased

Well, we've all probably done this at least once, so the first question would be do you belong to the AAA or another Auto Club?

If you do, they can send someone out to break into it for you.

Or you have the option of calling a locksmith, and some very patient folks have fished things into the door from the top to hit the lock button.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:12 PM

Get a wooden wedge or rubber door stopper and a heavy wire coat hanger. Be sure to wrap a rag around the wedge so you don't scratch your paint. Gently but firmly push the wedge between the roof and the top back corner of the door where it meets the roof. Once the wedge is far enough between the door and roof, it will create a big enough gap to fish the wire coat hanger through the opening. This also will free your hands to work the wire. Use the wire to tap your unlock button and you'll be in. It is kinda scary to perform this operation, but it really is quite easy. And for the record... No I am not a car thief! LOL
Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 PM

Go to your local GM parts department with you VIN and your driver's license and registration, they can cut you a new key to the VIN.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

1st, Welcome !! 2nd, if you had OnStar* it would only need a phone call to get unlocked.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Go to your local GM parts department with you VIN and your driver's license and registration, they can cut you a new key to the VIN.
I like this idea but be warned ... Each parts dept. has a policy on cutting new keys and I would call before you go and find out just what they require.
Good luck and maybe find a place to hide a key under the car for the next time. You should try to get a Key fob to if you can.
SF
Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Hopefully your registration is not in the car.

Some will and some won't make a key. That is their policy, supposedly (proof of ownership and id).

I had my old truck discreetly broken into a few years back-drivers door lock was apparently punched out, I thought it fell out. When I discovered it, I looked through the glove box, and could not find my insurance card. A few days later, the truck was stolen.

I told the cop that I thought someone had taken my card, and used that (with VIN number) to get a key made. He thought it was a stretch, but I'm convinced that's what happened. I spoke to a local dealer, and he said he wouldn't make a key with just an insurance card, but that didn't mean someone wouldn't do it.

Anyway, good luck.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:32 PM

thanks guys, I got it with a wooden wedge and coat hanger
Old 10-04-2013, 02:28 PM

Awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Deceased

Good news, now as my Grandpa would say, "Getya 'nother key for that sucker right quick".