General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

New guy with a cigarette lighter/power outlet question

Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 PM

New guy with a cigarette lighter/power outlet question

Hello everyone. Great forum you have here. I have an 06 Daytona Blue Metallic. I was wondering what the best way is to run a power outlet to the little storage compartment in the top, center of the dash. I want to mount my gps unit in there, but need to know the best way to get a power wire in there. I don't like exposed wires, so I don't want to just plug it in to the existing outlet in the dash. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:17 PM

You should be able to tap into the wires for the lighter/power plug with a splitter and run the wires up inside the dash. The waterfall (the large cover in the middle of the dash) snaps in and out of the dash and should expose enough area to do this.

Be sure to turn off the GPS when the car is not in use, I have read they are battery killers.

Oh............... Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:46 PM

I just recently got done running a Ipod interface in mine, and I used the center storage area, to run the wiring so it would be hid, as Greybeard says, remove the waterfall, and all the electronics come out pretty easy (radio/ac controls), as for the center storage area, 2 phillips screws and it lifts rght out, and on the left hand side of the dash, is a large hole, that is where I ran my wiring through, and then drilled a in the storage comparment, sliding the wire through with a rubber grommet to make the kit look factory.
I am sure this could be done for a gps, just would need a power plug instead of the Ipod connector.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Thought the newer gPS units had smart charge and can be set for auto off.....I had a Sirius in the center compt and tapped into the lower socket....just wish it wold drop off with key though.....
Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 AM

Rather than tap into an existing circuit and run the chance of a possible overload you can tap directly into the fuse panel on the right side floor area of the passenger side.

There are several blank fuse positions available. If you want constant hot use position #28, if you want it only hot when the key is on use position #21.

Run your wire, with a inline fuse, up to the top storage area and either connect directly to the power cord of your devise or into a single, double or tripple outlet so you don't have to cut the end of your devise cord.

I put a double outlet in there, one constant and one key controlled before I added several more devises and moved them all down to the floor behind the waterfall area.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Found a pic to explain better....

Name:  DSC01289.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  65.3 KB
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM

Not a lot of room to put a socket in the dash pocket if you are thinking about mounting it to the housing. My solution was to buy a lighter plug extention. I cut the male end off. allowing me to leave the female end in the dash pocket. Ran the wire through a small hloe in the pocket, down behind the waterfall and tapped into the stock lighter/power plug in the dash....

works great.....mind you I do not use the lighter in the dash so I don't have an overloading problem.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by skyeglen
Rather than tap into an existing circuit and run the chance of a possible overload you can tap directly into the fuse panel on the right side floor area of the passenger side.

There are several blank fuse positions available. If you want constant hot use position #28, if you want it only hot when the key is on use position #21.

Run your wire, with a inline fuse, up to the top storage area and either connect directly to the power cord of your devise or into a single, double or tripple outlet so you don't have to cut the end of your devise cord.

I put a double outlet in there, one constant and one key controlled before I added several more devises and moved them all down to the floor behind the waterfall area.
Thanks for the reply. What amp fuze would you recommend putting in slot 21 or 28, as well as for the in line fuse?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned

depends on what you will use. Something small? 5-10amp. Bigger? 15-20amp.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 PM

Welcome & enjoy the ride!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New guy with a cigarette lighter/power outlet question