General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

New Here, My HHR is falling apart!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 02:33 PM

Angry New Here, My HHR is falling apart!

Hi ladies and gents, I'm new here!

I wanted to know if anyone else is having problems similar to what I have experienced. I have a 2006 2.2 with 60k that was a prior rental, I bought about a year and a half ago that has as of late started falling apart almost!

*Brakes, the rotors warp about every 8 to 10k miles since I've had the thing. The dealer keeps taking care of it for free but it is pretty inconvenient.

*Interior buttons and gadgets are continually breaking. I'm not rough on these by any means but I've had the following replaced so far: Power mirror switch, HVAC control head (The backlight started flashing and blinking), automatic shifter, dome light, glovebox latch, and my driver's armrest keeps falling.

*Strange drivetrain problems: starting at about 50k my HHR starting idling very rough and would occasionally stall in traffic and in things like drive through car washes. Now, the transmission has started to shift very rough and under even light acceleration the shifts can "jar" the entire car.
- The HHR is at the dealer right now with this "laundry list" of problems to address.

*Remote starter will occasionally not work. Sometimes the car may turn over but 1 or 2 seconds later it will make a loud clunk and shut off, visibly shaking the entire car.

*Loud "whining" and "growling" noise under acceleration while the A/C is on.

I'm worried whats going to happen when my GMPP runs out at 75k. I've considering trading it for a new one since I do like it so much, but I'm concerned about the quality!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:49 PM

You have a lemon. Trade it for a new one. End of month is best time to negotiate a deal, since dealers try to make their quota by month's end and with the slow sales many are probably short on quota.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

First year quality is questionable. I have an 06' also and have had very little trouble.....although it's been in the dealer for the infamous radio problem for over a week.

I would suggest you follow your own suggestion, if you can afford it. Trade for a new one. Most/all of the first year problems have been corrected.

Work your best deal with several different dealers.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:09 PM

I have only owned my 08 for a few months so i can say about mine. But i have other friends that own 06,07 and 08 and love them without any problems. Except normal wear and tear items.Yours must be a lemon, trade it it
Old 07-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

1. Forget turning the rotors more than once, get some new ones.

2. Sounds like a transmission problem, maybe the TCC.

3. My A/C has growled from day one. There's a TSB, but I'm not worried about it as long as it blows cold air.

4. Not a whole lot you can do about interior pieces, although mine have been pretty stout. You were smart to get GMPP to cover all this stuff.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Best thing to do with a lemon is to trade it before the warranty expires. I traded my 06 Impala for the HHR after the trans went at 30k. It still had 5k left on warranty, but I was not gonna stick around to find out what went next.Even though I wwas "upside down" on my payments, I'm still MUCH better off, as the HHR gets 70% better gas mileage.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

I don't care what anyone says, there is no way I would ever buy a rental car as they aren't well taken care of for the most part. If it was a rental from like Hertz etc. then to me that would be even worse.
================
Originally Posted by stephensj88
Hi ladies and gents, I'm new here!

I wanted to know if anyone else is having problems similar to what I have experienced. I have a 2006 2.2 with 60k that was a prior rental, I bought about a year and a half ago that has as of late started falling apart almost!

*Brakes, the rotors warp about every 8 to 10k miles since I've had the thing. The dealer keeps taking care of it for free but it is pretty inconvenient.

*Interior buttons and gadgets are continually breaking. I'm not rough on these by any means but I've had the following replaced so far: Power mirror switch, HVAC control head (The backlight started flashing and blinking), automatic shifter, dome light, glovebox latch, and my driver's armrest keeps falling.

*Strange drivetrain problems: starting at about 50k my HHR starting idling very rough and would occasionally stall in traffic and in things like drive through car washes. Now, the transmission has started to shift very rough and under even light acceleration the shifts can "jar" the entire car.
- The HHR is at the dealer right now with this "laundry list" of problems to address.

*Remote starter will occasionally not work. Sometimes the car may turn over but 1 or 2 seconds later it will make a loud clunk and shut off, visibly shaking the entire car.

*Loud "whining" and "growling" noise under acceleration while the A/C is on.

I'm worried whats going to happen when my GMPP runs out at 75k. I've considering trading it for a new one since I do like it so much, but I'm concerned about the quality!
Old 07-20-2008, 05:41 PM

If you can get a new one why not? If you like it and knowing that as the years go by all the little problems get fixed by GM now would be the time. once the 09's hit you can usually get a good deal on a left over 08.

Good luck,

SPPD
Old 07-20-2008, 06:44 PM

my parents were surprised when i said i was getting an hhr since they had a friend with I think an 06, could have been 07, and everything in the world went wrong with hers, she was trying to dump it fast.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:19 PM

Its a rental!!

Quick Reply: New Here, My HHR is falling apart!