General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Night lights on all most all the time.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 PM

Night lights on all most all the time.

I just got my 007 HHR LT. I travel 80 to 90 miles a day. Mostly highway driving and during the day and my night lights are on half the time, DRL on the other time.. Does anybody have a answer?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

welcome to the site....... I have never figured it out either
Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 PM

I would say it is probably the photo-sensor that is in the middle of your dash. (small redish bulb-looking thing) You don't have anything covering it right? Like a radar detector or perhaps a parking pass, etc...

That is what signals the auto lights to turn on when it gets dark out. I have heard that they can go bad occaisionally. Never had problems with one myself, so I don't know how hard it is to replace...
Old 09-07-2011, 10:55 PM

Yeah, I mounted (with two-sided tape) the remote antenna for my GPS unit up next to that light sensor and my lights seem to come on more frequently because of it.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Appliance_God,

I have read your question about your situation with your 2007 Chevrolet HHR. I have researched the owner's manual for this model year and found the following information;

On page 164, Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) can make it easier for others to see the front of your vehicle during the day. DRL can be helpful in many different driving conditions, but they can be especially helpful in the short periods after dawn and before sunset. Fully functional daytime running lamps are required on all vehicles first sold in Canada.

Your vehicle has a light sensor on top of the instrument panel. Make sure it is not covered or
the headlamps will come on when you do not need them. The DRL system will make the headlamps come on at reduced brightness when the following conditions are met:
• The ignition is on.
• The exterior lamp control is turned to AUTO.
• The light sensor detects daytime light.
• The shift lever is not in PARK (P).

While the DRL system is on, the taillamps, sidemarker lamps, and instrument panel lights will
not be illuminated.

The DRL system will be off any time your vehicle is in PARK (P). The DRL system on U.S.
vehicles can also be turned off by using the off/on switch for one ignition cycle. As with any vehicle, you should turn on the regular headlamp system when you need it.

On page 165, you will read the information about the "Automatic Headlamp System".

If the above information is not what you are seeking, please, feel free to get a hold of me.

Sincerely,
Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

Appliance God.....

This topic was an area of discussion for many of the original year owners of the HHR.

It seems the eye in the middle of the dash, as someone has suggested, is responsible. It is not as "sensitive" to lighting conditions as later models. In early morning, even though the sun may be up over the horizon, the eye will relate to the computer that it is darker than actual. This is also aggravated by the shadow of the windshield wiper if you happen to be eastbound. Again, as the sun drops the eye relates improper data and you have "night lights" earlier than needed (again if you happen to be westbound at this time, this situation is also aggravated by the wiper shadow).

You may wish to turn your illumination switch to a higher setting to provide better lighting of the radio and DIC to overcome the lack of proper illumination on these devices.

Also, just noticed you are in the northern part of our country, so you are experiencing this before some others in the south.

Curious, did you just notice this after 4 years (if so, is this an early model '07), or are you a new owner of a used vehicle.

Last edited by Snoopy; 09-08-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:59 AM

My DRL sensor (IMO) is also problematic. Mine is consistent, just not sensitive to daylight. It's not covered by anything, except the shadow of the wiper at times. The sun can be up for an hour, I can be driving towards it, or have it at my side or rear, before the DRL will finally kick in and thus the main lights (for lack of better term) shut off, allowing my radio and DIC to be read while wearing sunglasses. I already have the dimmer for that turned up so they are as bright as can be. I'm tempted to try to pry what I assume is just a plastic cover over a dash mounted sensor off, and find a way to 'lighten' it, or replace it with something clearer. Or perhaps hang a flashlight over it. If I knew that I could do this w/o breaking something I certainly would give it a shot. It's really annoying not being able to see the radio or DIC clearly when it's bright outside, so sunglasses are on, but the car thinks it's nighttime.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Quickest fix it to turn the autolights off.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:15 PM

I wonder if protectants such as armorall have any effect on that sensor
Old 09-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

I don't use Armorall.....haven't in many years. Actually I had the early headlights, today at 9:15 AM, and this is Arizona...you know the land of sunshine.

Quick Reply: Night lights on all most all the time.