General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

No more HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:05 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by batman5273

cars are bad investments. if you put $10,000 down, you are stupid. you only need to pay your tax tag and title with alittle bit more to lower your payment. i always tell my cutomers to keep their money and pay for their insurance.
I am a professional sales consultant. Unlike alot of "salesmen" I want repeat customers and referrals. I do that by teaching my customers the right way to buy vehicles. My motto is "i'd rather tell you the truth and lose your business, then have to lie to make a sale."
MATH IS MATH!
How can you say I was stupid for putting $10000 down. I never cared what my payment was going to be. I did not want a payment to begin with. The only reason I did not pay cash for the HHR, was that I would lose out on the higher than the 1.9% percent interest that i am getting for my investments. I keep my cars for 5 to 7 years. I also usually buy 1 or 2 year old cars that other people have taken the big hit in depreciation for me. If I pay my car off in the 2 year time frame that I am looking at, The difference that I would make investing the cash is nil. I will invest the payment money that I will have left over when the HHR is paid off, and at the end of the 5 to 7 years I will have a nice bank account and a used paid off HHR. You will have nothing at the end of that time... except maybe another lease. If most of your customers come in only worried about their payment, how can your logic of telling your customers to keep their money and not pay down their principal to get a lower payment work? As you said above MATH is MATH!
One other statement that you said was that HHR's have bad leases. That is why most of us purchased our HHR's. Another thing you keep referring to is the warranty will be up in 3 years. Yes, I know it will be up then, i will also not have a payment. If it requires repairs after the 3 year mark I will pay for it with the money that I would have been paying on the payments. on my used purchases, the most that I have ever had to shell out in repairs was $1322 on a beretta Z26 repair bill. Most repairs are usually cheaper than payments.
I think in your case you did do the right thing leasing a better vehicle that fits your needs. If you can show me some math that would work better in my situation, by all means do so. I paid $20593 out the door. with 10000 down and 1.9% on the remaining for 3 years.
I am 35 years old and I will be able to retire in 10 years with no payments on anything owed. I was near bankruptcy 14 years ago. How many people can retire at 45(without family's $$$ ie. inheritance) and live the same lifestyle? not many.
Before you all go crazy on the retire at 45 thing, I plan on retiring at 45 and getting my teaching credentials. If I just retired, I would go crazy.

Last edited by Pizzaman; 08-31-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:50 AM

Everyone is going to have their preferences on buying vs. leasing... of course there are going to be financial differences between the two, that's why there are 2+ methods of obtaining a vehicle in the first place. One isn't really any "better" than the other. It just depends on how you choose to spend your money and how much it means to you that you have a new car every X years.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BryceStrong
You just proved batman's point that no one is reading his posts.
Ok Bryce, I'm a little slow. What did I prove in my post ??? I'm confused, and I admit it.

I said some of the things he wrote was noteworthy....I guess you are saying they are not.

And, I believe Batman used the word investment with the word cars (even though he put bad, in front of it) I pointed out, they are not an investment (really they are a convenience luxury, by definition). An investment, in basic english, is something that you put money into, with the hope of gain or appreciation. A person does not invest money to loose it. A bad purchase yes...a bad investment no. So, to state someone purchases an HHR with the idea it will appreciate is, to use Batman's term, stupid. No one on this Forum purchased their HHR with that intent.

Now, shall we just let this go??? No one is going to change their mind based on what is written here!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 01:34 PM

Snoopy you are clueless! Bottom Line!!
Old 10-05-2006, 02:09 PM

This was a fairly good debate until that came up. But there is noone that can tell me a lease is financially better for an individual than a purchase. Even IF your payments are $100 more each month. At then end of a least you are starting over. If you buy, then you own a car. I just picked mine up this past weekend. They tried like hell to get me to lease.

Never

Yall have fun with this thread.... I'm gone

And I don know a little about leasing, we lease to federal and state agencies, about 5,000 in SC alone. And I know no one here can beat my rates and it's still not a good deal.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Founding Member

wow, is this thread in trouble or are ya'll ok.....?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:48 PM

this thread just went

Old 10-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Batman......

Really good rebuttal. It only took you 5 weeks to post 6 words !!!!

Let it go...people here, have made up their mind. And, neither you or I will change it.

This issue is finally dead IMO.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Founding Member

Ding-done