General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

No RPM when running but have when starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 12:47 PM

All I have to say is wow. Thats all.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:36 PM

Ok I took the pan off the 2005 motor and I also have a 2007 crank and both reluctor wheels are the same. I have looked at just about every part stores website and they all have the same part number for a crank that will fit a 2005 thru 2007 and maybe more 2.2 If everything seems to be the same why does it do what it is doing. The person that had the car when the motor went said everything worked including the tach. I keep coming back to ground wires. Because the motor was changed out. The fact it has a signal and the tach will move while cranking but signal goes to zero on the scanner then it will start, but turn it off and try it will not show any RPM while cranking until you remove the sensor and either replace it with another or just put it back in. What happens when you unhook the battery for a few minutes, hook it back up and you will see RPM with scanner and the tach.What is resetting. I have put 2 reflashed ECM's in this car both was tuned to the vend number. The original ECM did the same thing but it would relearn but then it seemed to forget the relearn.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Greenstu1
Ok I took the pan off the 2005 motor and I also have a 2007 crank and both reluctor wheels are the same. I have looked at just about every part stores website and they all have the same part number for a crank that will fit a 2005 thru 2007 and maybe more 2.2 If everything seems to be the same why does it do what it is doing. The person that had the car when the motor went said everything worked including the tach. I keep coming back to ground wires. Because the motor was changed out. The fact it has a signal and the tach will move while cranking but signal goes to zero on the scanner then it will start, but turn it off and try it will not show any RPM while cranking until you remove the sensor and either replace it with another or just put it back in. What happens when you unhook the battery for a few minutes, hook it back up and you will see RPM with scanner and the tach.What is resetting. I have put 2 reflashed ECM's in this car both was tuned to the vend number. The original ECM did the same thing but it would relearn but then it seemed to forget the relearn.
Not sure where you're part shopping, but this is just flat wrong. If you have the right crank, you should give it a try. If the engine was installed in a 2005 vehicle, a 2007 reluctor would not have worked with the computers on that car.

2000-2006 2000-2006 2.2L, Vin Code F, DOHC engine with casting number 7327 | Northern Auto Parts

2007-2010 (click on part number, 18084)http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...rankshaft,5292
Old 11-27-2017, 10:52 PM
Technical Moderator

I don't know, GM must be lying for reasons of their own.

Are the reluctors 58 tooth or 7 tooth?

How many wires go to the sensor on each engine? The 2005 is supposed to be magnetic (2wire) and the 2007 is supposed to be digital (3wire).

I think you said you originally had the 2005 head on it? How did youhandle wiring the plugs?
What wiring harness are you using? 2005 not the same as 2007.
You never said what the donor car was.
You said you verified all the ground! The important ones would be the harness at the transmission then to the radiator support. That is the ground for the ECM, if anything works it is grounded.

There is a small ground to the head IIRC passenger side rear that I always thought was ready to break.

All of the computers reboot when you disconnect the battery.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:26 PM
Technical Moderator

Here are more lies from GM about the relative ignition systems.

2005 Cobalt 2.2L ignition

2007 HHR 2.2L ignition
Old 11-28-2017, 06:26 AM

I repaired the 2007 head and put it on the 2005 motor I am using the 2007 wire harness
Old 11-28-2017, 08:12 AM
Technical Moderator

I got no more help, everything I know is in the Factory Service Manuals and you say they are totally wrong.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:23 AM

I keep seeing you reference a ground problem and you said you had a good ground at the crank sensor. It should not be grounded. The Low Ref wire is not a ground, it's a signal wire.

So is the sensor Low Ref grounded? If it is it could cause weird issues.

Also a meter will not work for testing the sensor wires signal, you would need an oscilloscope to see the wave form.

As someone asked, how many teeth on the crank you have?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:52 PM

I don't know if I have a ground problem I am not sure what year the motor is I was told a 2005 low mileage but it could be a 2006 all I know is it didn't have the cam sensor in the head on the motor that they put in. I am also not sure what you mean when you ask if the 5 volt low ref is grounded. If I take the connector that goes to the crank sensor and take my readings from that on the green wire I have 5 volts How I get it is the purple wire in the connector and from what I have found is the common or ground. I can go from the purple wire and the yellow wire which is the signal wire and see millivolts 5 to be exact. With the sensor being an AC generator I can see 5 millivolts at idle which from what I have found means the sensor is working.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:36 PM
Technical Moderator

So you are not reading what we have been typing? Thanks for wasting my time.

On your 2007 the sensor has 3 wires it is digital, it has low ref, 5Vref and signal.
On the earlier models the sensor has 2 wires, it is a magnetic pickup.
SEE POST #25

You have to accept that the GM service manual is correct.

OK, I promise I won't look at this thread again, I'm going to the doctor about my blood pressure already.

Quick Reply: No RPM when running but have when starting