General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Off with the Firehawks, on with the Assurance's....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 AM

Off with the Firehawks, on with the Assurance's....

This is the first year I've had to drive my 06 HHR in the snow, yesterday was the last straw with these Firehawk tires . Either the HHR was gone or I was going to get some good all season tires, with only 17,500 miles I hated to buy new tires but it was cheaper then buying a new vehicle. I went with the GoodYear Assurance Triple Tred tires, there not cheap but I'm very happy with my choice. If you're thinking about swapping out your Firehawks give the GoodYear Assurance Triple Tred a look.

Later,
Al
Old 01-14-2009, 06:01 AM

Mine have been trouble free and of late on more snow than dry pavment.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Mine have been trouble free and of late on more snow than dry pavment.

That's good to hear, I found the Firehawks worthless in my case though. IMO
Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 PM

It's been an interesting winter so far with my full tread Firehawks.It's ALMOST manageable with the traction control on.It's also frustrating when the traction control and/or ESC kicks in.The power cut noticeably kills momentum.And trying to take a corner is often an excercise in futility.These tires just have no side bite.Next year,snow tires all around.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM

I love the Triple Treds they are great, have them on my Grand Am and am thinking about changing out my Pilots on the SS for them
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM

Gave mine a real test today with sub zero snow of near 5 inches on top of the 10 we got over the weekend and now some really bad Ice on Interstate 76 out of Akron. I saw several cars buried to the door handles in the median as the road was solid ice.

I made it thorugh with no problem. I jumped off before I got rear ended and hit the side roads home. not a slip or hang up anywhere.

My SS is so good in the snow it is really not any fun!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 AM

Also replaced the useless and noisy Firehawks on mt LT1 with Assurance (comfortreds). Not snow tires, but at least the thing is driveable in the snow. HUGE improvement in ride and noise. Front end noise is also down. I can actually hear the radio now....
Old 01-16-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
This is the first year I've had to drive my 06 HHR in the snow, yesterday was the last straw with these Firehawk tires . Either the HHR was gone or I was going to get some good all season tires, with only 17,500 miles I hated to buy new tires but it was cheaper then buying a new vehicle. I went with the GoodYear Assurance Triple Tred tires, there not cheap but I'm very happy with my choice. If you're thinking about swapping out your Firehawks give the GoodYear Assurance Triple Tred a look.

Later,
Al
The rating system used by Tire Rack confirms the Firehawks are poor in snow. My replacements will be an all season with a good snow performance score.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Marzipan
The rating system used by Tire Rack confirms the Firehawks are poor in snow. My replacements will be an all season with a good snow performance score.

Tire Rack reviews are a good place to check out on tires.

You do get some over the top reviews and some trolls so if you toss out the high and the low reviews the middle ones are often a good measuring stick.

Not all tires even from one company are the same. But often most OE tires are seldom the best from that company. The HHR Firestones and Pilots are by far not the best offerings frome either of those companies.

Car MFG want tires cheap and that is what they get. Also they have to meet different things such as drive by noise standars and other requirements replacment tires do not.

Few tires companies make much money on OE tires so little effort goes into them. They often are not the tire companies best effort of product.