General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:56 PM

Oil Filters

I've really enjoyed the banter about oil filters, especially which one to use...AC/Delco, Wix, NAPA, etc.

I've always believed in using an OEM filter, in our case for the HHR AC/Delco the PF 456. Imagine my surprise during the course of my first oil change this past weekend when I discovered this as the factory installed filter:

I've never heard of the manufacturer, it must be a GM supplier. It certainly isn't AC/Delco!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Wow....that is amazing !!!!

My first oil change yielded a Delco PF456G and made in Bulgaria. Subsequent purchases from the dealer have provided the same Delco filter in a Delco decorated box.....filters were also marked correctly and also made in Bulgaria.

You really raised my curiosity....

Did you purchase the car new?

The filter appears to be "crushed" (filtering material shows indications of stress). Was is removed in that condition?

Edit.....a quick Google search indicated it is a German company providing oil, air, passenger compartment filters amoung other "things". Noticed your filter was manufactured in the USA.

German company who manufacturers in the US. American company that manufacturers in Bulgaria. Really confusing !!!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:48 PM

The dealership used PF457G/12605566 filters both times when they changed my oil.

The Fram CH9018 is also made in Bulgaria.

Take a look at the filters in this link:
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P1671C193.aspx

Same as the one in Sunburst Sam's pic.

Last edited by Black Rose; 05-02-2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Corrected Fram model number
Old 05-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Well I'll be a ......

Thanks Black Rose...never saw that before. Just looked at my "inventory" and each filter is marked A/C Delco PF456G.

GM either "split" the contract, switched suppliers or had a temporary "fill-in" run to accomodate need.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:05 PM

There are actually quite a number of filters available for these Ecotec engines.

I have a spreadsheet with them all, and I have 17 different brands listed.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 PM

Supertechs from Wally World also made in Bulgaria...why pay extra for the same filter? Just buy the SuperTech

Goose
Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 PM

Yep

Yep, my HHR was factory ordered and I am the first and to date the only owner.

I know we now live in an international economy (after all the HHR is assembled in Mexico), but just how did this unknown manufacturer (German?) create an oil filter in the US and have it installed on an American car assembled in Mexico?

Every GM car I have purchased new always came with an A/C Delco filter, this really surprised me, thus the post.

Does anyone know just where the 2.2 qnd 2.4 engines are assembled? Are they then shipped to the Mexico assembly plant for final vehicle assembly?

Any thoughts? -Sam
Old 05-02-2007, 10:51 PM

Engines are assembled in either Tonawanda NY or Spring Hill TN and then shipped to Mexico.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:59 PM

Oil Filter

Snoopy: Yes this is the filter as removed, very carefully from the canister. I have no idea what caused the stress. Maybe the original installation (?).

Black Rose: I'd love to see your database on HHR oil filters and maybe other HHR filters if you have included them. -Sam
Old 05-02-2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sunburst Sam
...I've always believed in using an OEM filter, in our case for the HHR AC/Delco the PF 456. Imagine my surprise during the course of my first oil change this past weekend when I discovered this as the factory installed filter:

I've never heard of the manufacturer, it must be a GM supplier. It certainly isn't AC/Delco!
I changed my oil for the first time yesterday and the new filter was exactly the same as yours shown in the pic. This filter came off the shelf of Advance Auto and was in an AC Delco box. Like you, I was surprised as well

Quick Reply: Oil Filters